Skip to content

Frequent little "sprinkles" on walks

Behavioral Issues

Suggested Topics

  • 5 Votes
    45 Posts
    26k Views
    K
    @patty and others that reference a responsible breeder: I got my Jessey (my friend dubbed him the Jester because of his loveable zaniness) - who is my second Basenji - from a responsible breeder and he was well socialized by her and then me. I took him to the dog park which he loved at first, but then after many visits, he became scared. He used to walk the neighborhood, but then became scared. Any boom/bang/bounce - he bolts home. My other Basenji was nothing like this. Jessey has his pack of BFF's but is usually snarky to other dogs (typical B!). My point is, it's not always the breeder. Dogs - like humans - can develop "head issues". It has been very frustrating for me having a neurotic dog, but I've come to accept that's him and would never love him any less! The vet gave me Solliquin to try, but I've been hesitant. Anyone out there tried it?
  • Couple of "Issues" with my Basenji

    Behavioral Issues
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    10k Views
    P
    I completely forgot about this topic, but I figure I would reply (after a 4 month hiatus) with updates. Thank you all for your responses. Marvel no longer bites (what a relief!). It stopped around the time that all of his adult teeth were falling out, so I assume it was related to the discomfort of his baby teeth. He will play bite every now and then, but nothing drastic. Marvel no longer wakes up absurdly early now that he's 6 months old, as someone pointed out. He typically gets up when we do except for the rare occasion here and there. Marvel has been marvelous and his behavior only gets better. The only "issue" we deal with now is his separation anxiety when we leave him in a crate. I'll probably make a separate topic on this. And he seems to be strangely attached/dominant to my girlfriends underwear when he manages to get a hold of it... Thanks! Peter
  • Opposable "thumbs" (dewclaws)?

    Behavioral Issues
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    10k Views
    K
    Basenjis just have front ones, which most show breeders have removed from their litters. They can be nasty if they catch on something and rip. I do know German Shepherds sometimes have rear dews. Not sure about most other breeds. lol Again they are removed as newborns (the rears).
  • Walk-attitude change

    Behavioral Issues
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    KanangaK
    Curious to know if Gossy ever has this happen occasionally. I notice Kananga does this every now and then. The last two days he has refused to walk in a certain direction. I can tell he's worried about something because his ears are pinned back and he's trying to get out of his collar. I have to pick him up and walk him to where we need to go. Just a few days ago he was fine, it seems like this happens every couple months or so. Sounds similar to what you were going through.
  • Issues with walks

    Behavioral Issues
    34
    0 Votes
    34 Posts
    19k Views
    Rita JeanR
    Jaycee on Sunday was on the deck sleeping in the hot sun. However when we did class on Sunday my husband took his shoes off and was on the pavement with her to see if it was to hot. Trainer ask him if he had shoes Steve told sure do but if it is to hot for my feet its to hot for Jaycee. Rita Jean
  • Little pooper

    Behavioral Issues
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    MantisM
    I remember Caesar as a puppy would poop in the Petsmart every time we went until he was old enough to be fixed. Never pooped in the house. I thought it was because he was a little guy. When Cairo was a super pup and would go to petsmart, I took puppy pads with me. We would walk around in the store together. When I saw him start stressing, or sniffing, or whining, I would throw the pad down even if I looked like a crazy B mom. It worked every time!! I wouldnt fret too much until you are at an age that is beyond Abby being fixed. Some of that stuff is pure puppy…..