Breeders planning a 2012-2013 litter?

• I'm looking to get a male (hopefully brindle or b/w, but color is less important than temperament and health) this breeding season. I just had to put down my rescued little girl - 14 1/2 years (geriatric liver failure) and house and heart are way too empty. I'm an experienced basenji person - I got my first basenji puppy as a graduation present 23 years ago and have rescued 2 adults as well. They are the only breed of dogs I will ever have.
    My details, I have a fenced 3/4 acre yard in East Windsor, NJ - a fully basenji decorated house (shredded tp everywhere , garbage cans way out of reach…:)) and am very physically active - (I can do the basenji 500, along with the pup). He'll have a fantastic, loving, stimulating, spoiled life.

I especially need a puppy that will be good with people and dogs as I plan to take him to work with me. He will be crate trained, though he'll sleep with me (if he lets me have any room in the bed), because I'll be traveling with him.

I found your site on basenji.org and just joined.
    If you are planning a litter this year and have room on your waiting list please contact me.

best,

-sandy clark

• How far are you willing to travel? Those colors are not that common on the east coast. I believe on of my friends in Indianapolis has a black boy available from his last litter. You might want to consider a day trip to gettsburg in July. The basenji nationals are 11-14 July. You could meet breeders who have black and whites. They are more common in the midwest. Brindles tend to be harder to find and it seems most breeders want those shown first as there are so few. You should not have a problem finding a good breeder who does health testing to include the new fanconi direct test. Now is a good time to make a reservation for this years breedings. Unfortunately everyone I know is only expecting Red's ands tri this year.

• There are breeders on the East Coast that usually always have Brindles and/or Black & Whites. Here are just a couple in the Northeast. As already said, you should always check out health and verify results yourself at www.offa.org

You can also go to www.basenji.org and find other breeders. Many have website (however not always up to date….. 😞 )

http://www.eldoradobasenji.com/ - They are in Mass. (usually has Reds, Black, Brindles)

http://www.SunDiataBasenjis.com - They are in NJ (Reds and Brindles usually)

http://www.darkmoonkennels.com/index.html - They are in NJ (I think they have mostly Reds)

• "Those colors are not that common on the east coast. They are more common in the midwest. Brindles tend to be harder to find and it seems most breeders want those shown first as there are so few. "

Hi! I am not looking for another Basenji (2 B rescues and one B-mix are PLENTY for me!), but I found it interesting that you stated that B&Ws and brindles aren't common on the East Coast. Why is that? I know little about breeding and am curious - I thought that the color of the pups could vary greatly regardless of the color of the paretns - am I mistaken? Thanks for any answers - I just love learning about these remarkable dogs!

• Pam and Sheila ( Eldorado) in MA do tend to have the full array but I don't know their plans for this season as to who they are breeding…chance are though they'll have either blacks or brindled in the mix. I'd shoot Pam an email if your interested..her website has her email

• Pam and Sheila ( Eldorado) in MA do tend to have the full array but I don't know their plans for this season as to who they are breeding…chance are though they'll have either blacks or brindled in the mix. I'd shoot Pam an email if your interested..her website has her email

Bewler: pup color does come from the parents and depends on what each gene color factor they carry ( red can carry a black gene)...and I think the comment was made as "not many people on the east coast happen to breed those colors as much" and not that region influences color". I happen to think all colors come from the easy coast but also think tris are the hardest to come by anywhere...

• Bewler: pup color does come from the parents and depends on what each gene color factor they carry ( red can carry a black gene)…and I think the comment was made as "not many people on the east coast happen to breed those colors as much" and not that region influences color". I happen to think all colors come from the easy coast but also think tris are the hardest to come by anywhere...

Thanks for the info., Chelsie! I didn't mean to imply that I thought color came with region! LOL! I was just wondering why there are fewer varirties on the coast - I assume it's because of breeder preference. Thanks so much for answering my question!

• @Tanza,

Thanks! All 3 of these are within a days drive. I'll contact them.

• @lisastewart
    Unfortunately, Gettysburg won't work, b/c I'm giving a talk at a conference in NYC that weekend.

"How far are you willing to travel? "
    I'm happy to drive, stay overnight and drive back. I also have frequent flyer miles I can use - and fortunately, puppies are small enough to go as carry-ons 🙂

• @bewler:

Bewler: pup color does come from the parents and depends on what each gene color factor they carry ( red can carry a black gene)…and I think the comment was made as "not many people on the east coast happen to breed those colors as much" and not that region influences color". I happen to think all colors come from the easy coast but also think tris are the hardest to come by anywhere...

I think that was a miss quote about the East Coast and Blacks/Brindles… in fact I would venture to say that there are more Blacks and Brindles on the Eastern part of the US than the West, with the exception of the Pacific NorthWest....

• Depends on what you mean by West, Pat!! Here in Texas, we have LOTS of black and whites. Anne Humphreys, Wanda Pooley, Pat Marshall, us…all of us have a weakness for those tuxedo wearers....

Terry

• LOL Terry, of course you are right…... Lately with Wanda, however... more Tris than Blacks....

• Not much luck this past year with the black/whites in the Midwest…but not for the lack of trying, lol. They all pretty much turned out red and tri. Well except for Brad, I think the basenji fairy gave them all to him. :p

• And if you came to my mom's house you would swear black was the popular color and red the rare one, 5 blacks and 1 red. My household is a bit more balanced at about half and half. Most of my family didn't realize black and whites were a "less popular" color.

• sandy Clark, please private message me and ill help you more if you have not found one 🙂 podhradsky@live.com

• after losing kenta back in feb. i've been looking for a brindle also he died from blastomcosis )
    the lady i got him from says he was a rare one but i grew up with
    a black and white and got another he has such a attitude and i love
    him the rodent if you happen to find more than one let me know PLEASE

• @godzilla:

after losing kenta back in feb. i've been looking for a brindle also he died from blastomcosis )
    the lady i got him from says he was a rare one but i grew up with
    a black and white and got another he has such a attitude and i love
    him the rodent if you happen to find more than one let me know PLEASE

you can send me an email if you would like. Id be happy to help you find a nice brindle puppy. basenjis@live.com

• I'll be breeding my beautiful brindle girl,Diva to my red boy,Rocky this fall.
    Ofcourse,I want my kids in racing homes if possible.
    Rocky has been and is a top racing basenji,and Diva is following in his pawprint.
    Little rockets are expected out of this litter.

Kathryn in NJ

• [QUOTE=Rocky1;168128
    Little rockets are expected out of this litter.

There are all sorts of pictures running through my mind now…;-)

• My Rocky,UKC Ch. Kiroja Chicago Hood at Jaroufa,SGRC7,SORC,JOR,JC
    was #1 LGRA Racing Basenji in 2008,2009,2010,2011
    #1 NOTRA Racing Basenji in 2008,2009
    He is also ASFA pted,(44)
    and has won the LGRA/NOTRA Nationals in 2009,2010
    What else can I say.
    Diva, Jaroufa's The Glamazon at Etowah,RATI is pt'ed in LGRA,NOTRA,ASFA AND AKC LURE COURSING
    as well as having her RATI (Rat Instinct Test Title)
    She is very driven.
    The two of them will have pups that will EXCELL on the race track as well as the coursing field.

Can't wait for this breeding to take place sometime this fall.

Kathryn

Suggested Topics