FINALLY got my Basenji BUT…

• okay thank you everyone

The bonding is going well… I taught (reminded) him how to sit, shake a paw and lie down. We're in obedience classes currently so he's catching on to "stay" and sits before I give him his meal. Walking is still not the greatest but better. He IS a snuggler! But the thing now is he clearly doesn't like being disturbed while sleeping or sleepy. He fell asleep on my lap and I went to scratch my leg and he growled and went to bite me, mouthed but not a full on bite, I still felt his teeth though. I was completely caught off guard so this seems to be the issue now. Clearly there is a dominance struggle going on right now as his growling is very much increasing, and it's almost been a month having him

• The issues isn't alpha… as the others pointed out it is bonding time, feeding, letting in and out.

That said, sometimes it won't matter. The heart does what the heart does. I do full care of Cara, but when my college student is home, it is clear beyond any doubt that she is her person. Utterly, totally her dog. No it isn't novelty cause it's the same over long breaks and summer. My daughter is currently studying in France and Cara CRIES for her on skype.

As for the last post... please I am begging you let go of the dominance/alpha etc thinking. It is old, outdated and has done more damage to relationships and training than any other concept.

The old adage "let sleeping dogs lie" is not for nothing. SOME DOGS HATE BEING WOKE UP. You need to call his name FIRST, rouse him before you actually move him. He has been there a month... guess what? Honeymoon is over. Fortunately you are already laying great groundwork with training. And while putting teeth on you is not ever okay, that there was no real bite tells you that the dog was simply showing displeasure, not intending to harm. I would suggest that you write more about what is going on when he growls, or if it only when awoken. Basically when a dog growls I tell them NO GROWL and totally ignore in many situations. Others take more effort, like if the growl is to threaten/bully to not comply. It really depends on what is going on.

• Total newbie here as Loki is our first B. He bonded with my husband immediately, but then again I insisted on having my husband be the one doing all the cuddling and holding the weekend we brought him home as I knew come Monday he'd be gone for 12 hrs a day and I had all day to be with the puppy. Once we started Puppy Pre-K we switched to completely hand feeding and using his meals for training purposes. As I am the one home, I do the majority of feeding and training and he bonded to me very well. I wouldn't say he's bonded to either of us more than the other, they are just different bonds. My husband is the one who chases him in the backyard for an hour and really rough-houses with him. I play, feed, train, cuddle, take places, etc., mainly because I am here more often. He is still mainly hand fed except for when he gets a raw bone or the rare occasion I use his busy buddy. And we've also begun using treats during his training, which is good as he no longer really cares for his food and we're switching him to something else.

I will say that before Pre-K and the hand feeding that I was beginning to have issues with him growling and trying to bite when I would stop him from doing something he shouldn't be doing. I haven't had that problem since I began hand feeding and doing multiple short training sessions per day. I know the next dog we get, be it B or not, who will probably be a rescue, I will definitely begin hand feeding to help get that bond started.

• @DebraDownSouth:

The issues isn't alpha… as the others pointed out it is bonding time, feeding, letting in and out.

That said, sometimes it won't matter. The heart does what the heart does. I do full care of Cara, but when my college student is home, it is clear beyond any doubt that she is her person. Utterly, totally her dog. No it isn't novelty cause it's the same over long breaks and summer. My daughter is currently studying in France and Cara CRIES for her on skype.

As for the last post... please I am begging you let go of the dominance/alpha etc thinking. It is old, outdated and has done more damage to relationships and training than any other concept.

The old adage "let sleeping dogs lie" is not for nothing. SOME DOGS HATE BEING WOKE UP. You need to call his name FIRST, rouse him before you actually move him. He has been there a month... guess what? Honeymoon is over. Fortunately you are already laying great groundwork with training. And while putting teeth on you is not ever okay, that there was no real bite tells you that the dog was simply showing displeasure, not intending to harm. I would suggest that you write more about what is going on when he growls, or if it only when awoken. Basically when a dog growls I tell them NO GROWL and totally ignore in many situations. Others take more effort, like if the growl is to threaten/bully to not comply. It really depends on what is going on.

Debra, good advice. Ever try to wake a sleeping husband? 🙂 I've DEFINITELY heard growls from Darrel!

Weitzel, Kipawa growls as well when he is in a deep sleep. I do what Debra has mentioned - I talk to him first, not loud at all, almost a whisper. Then I work up to my normal volume voice. By then he is cracking his eyes open. When his eyes are fully open, I start to softly rub my hand down his back. I continue to talk to him until I can see he's pretty much awake. We also use 'no growl' and try to make as little commotion about the growl as possible.

Clearly Maverick loves his sleeping. And loves being on your lap. 🙂 While he is on your lap, before he gets to sleep, maybe try just petting him/massaging him lightly. Kipawa will let me do that until my arm gets tired.

So glad that it's all going well!

• I take naps with my dog all the time and he is a biter. I have learned as Debra suggested, before getting up or moving, gently talk to him and tell them what you're doing. We have been incident free for several years now (him sleeping & attacking). It also helps to cuddle / rub him while he sleeps so he knows you are there. Never make them move if they are sleeping somewhere, without a positive reward.

I know a guy who owned a basenji & decided to surprise him by saying Peekaboo really loud. The dog attacked him & he got 9 stitches on his face. Basenjis do not like surprises.

• @Barklessdog:

Basenjis do not like surprises.

Very true!

Suggested Topics