• While a Lifetime Health Guarantee sounds really great, what exactly is it? It is that you will buy the puppy back? Replace that puppy with another that also in 5 to 7 yrs have a health problem? What about the heart break to those that own those pups/dogs? They have an investment of the heart, not just money.

Is it not easier to do health testing first and then have some assurances that the pups you are placing will not have health issues later in life?

Strip testing is great when that was all we had, but it only means that on the day that the strip test was done, they were not spilling sugar. Doesn't mean they are not carriers or affected with Fanconi.

• Thank you to those who have already responded to RockCreekk. When I read his posts last night I was simply so appalled that I couldn't think of what to say that wouldn't cause me to be banned from the Forums….

RockCreekk, 63 dogs is not what I would say "only" about, even if 8 are neutered and are your "house dogs." That is an incredible number of lives in your hands. And many of the breeds you mentioned have very specific health issues, not only the Basenjis. I also think you need a new vet if he/she is giving "booster" shots at 4 weeks. Boosters for what??? You can't have a booster shot if they haven't gotten the vaccines yet... And at 4 weeks, the pups haven't even been weaned. Obviously, your vet is seriously behind the times if he thinks that baby pups should have 3 combination shots before they are even 8 weeks old.
    And I agree totally with Pat, a Lifetime Health Guarantee sounds wonderful, but in practice isn't. You cannot measure the cost of losing a beloved member of your family, especially if it is something eminently possible to detect before a puppy goes to a home. (Which brings me to another comment - puppies go to homes not "Customers." Customers buy cars, clothing, or groceries, not living, loving animals)

Okay, will stop, because I seriously doubt that you will hear what we are saying, but I needed to get some of this out.

Terry

• For $700 a puppy, I expect a Fanconi DNA test and eye exam for the puppy and the parents and thyroid testing on the parents. If I noticed anything strange about the movement of the parents I would also want a hip x-ray done. If your dogs go back to a certain kennel in TX, I would also like them to be checked for luxating patellas. If I can do this for my rescues, you can do it for your breeding dogs and pups.

If anyone owns a B from Rock Creek Kennel, please let me know if the pedigree is in the Basenji Pedigree Database.

Jennifer

• Hi, Rock Creek Kennel.
    I don't mean to be adversarial, but I'm trying to gather some facts that would help me understand your position. You came on here with "guns blazing" because someone said that one of your puppies was sick? I would hope that you would have identified the owner from their state (Texas), so that you could have contacted them to inquire about the puppy?

I was curious about your business, so I went to your website and I Googled your name. Several websites state that you are USDA licensed, such as this website:
    http://www.hotfrog.com/Products/Puppies/KS/2

"Rock Creek Kennel has been in Business for over 15 years. We breed for Quality not Quanity. We are a USDA and State Licensed Kennel. We take pride in what we do and it shows in our puppies"

Therefore, I went to the USDA website to look for your license, but I cannot find your name, or any kennel registered in Jefferson County, Kansas. This is a link to the website I searched. Can you please clarify where your license is found?

http://acissearch.aphis.usda.gov/LPASearch/faces/LPASearch.jspx

I found the following information on a private blog. I do not know who "Tina" is, but she has posted on a blog that "you" are Harold Buzz Powell, who is a registered sex offender from Iowa. If this information is NOT true, you may want to go to that website to protect your name!
    I found this website when I Googled, "Rock Creek Kennels Kansas". Here is the link, and her exact quote.

http://cravendesires.blogspot.com/2010/03/accused-iowa-puppy-miller-is-convicted.html

"HE HAS A KENNEL IN MERRRIAM KS. THE KENNEL IS UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME. ROCK CREEK KENNEL. USDA WAS THERE 3-4 TIMES AND HE CAN'T PASS THEIR INSPECTIONS. NO USDA LICENSE AND STATE WROTE HIM UP ON THE FACT THEIR WAS FECES IN THE PENS AND OTHER SITATIONS AGAIN ! WE NEED THE LAW AND THE PROPER AUTHORITIES TO SEIZE THE DOGS. I SAW A ENGLISH BULLDOG THAT WAS DUE TO WHELP AND YOU COULD SEE HER RIBS, AND BACK BONE, PELVIS SHOWING. STATE HAS BEEN NOTIFIED AND ONLY HAS 3 INSPECTORS TO TAKE CARE OF THE INSPECTIONS ON THE KENNELS. NOT ENOUGH HELP TO SHUT DOWN THE POOR CONDITIONS IN HIS KENNEL. I'D REPORT HIM BUT DON'T KNOW THE PHONE NUMBERS OR E-MAIL ADDRESSES. HE SELLS ON PUPPY FIND HIS NAME ON THE ADS IS DAVID. I HAVE HIS PHONE NUMBER AND ADDRESS TO THE KENNEL.

MARCH 18, 2011 9:38 PM"

Lastly, I Googled Harold Buzz Palmer and found the following information, so whether you are Harold Buzz Powell, or he happened to move to your hometown, you may want to know that this person also lives in Meriden, KS.

http://www.homefacts.com/offender-detail/KSSOP15025/Harold-Buzz-Powell.html

As you stated, we should get our facts straight, so I'm trying to understand how your name and reputation is intertwined with this other kennel. It is a free country, and anyone can move anywhere, but when you have public information stating that you are USDA licensed, it would be great to validate the information on their website.

In the meantime, I hope this young puppy is getting healthy. I found that carrots is a good food to naturally de-worm a dog for some types of worms (discovered this accidentally when my Lola and I shared a 5 lb bag of carrots over one weekend!).

• First Basenji's

I would add that I am unable to find any information via the Kansas state government's business entity search:
    https://www.kansas.gov/bess/flow/main?execution=e2s1

Maybe that's just not the right place to look, since that database "does not register sole proprietorships, d/b/a, assumed name, trade name or fictitious name entities."

I do notice that this photo, which used to be in Rock Creek kennel's publicly viewable Facebook wall photos, is no longer available:

I doubt Mr. Guns-a-blazin' cares. Already been through the motions with Shiba people… you can't argue with someone who doesn't see that he has a problem in the first place. Maybe Boston Terrier people are onto him too, that's why he's "selling out" his entire "stock" of that breed.

I'm sorry he feels that he has no other way to earn a living than by squeezing dry a few dozen dogs.

• Curly tails, thanks for the link.
    There are 151 listings on that website that contain the word "kennel", but not Rock Creek-the closest name is Rocky Ridge.

How in the world did you find that picture? It sure looks like the same person as Harold Buzz Palmer.

I went on the www.ksda.gov website and found the following information:

The Animal Facilities Inspection Program:
    The Animal Facilities Inspection Program regulates companion animal facilities required to be licensed under the provisions of the Kansas Pet Animal Act. The Act requires licensing and inspection of all dog and cat breeders who produce, offer or sell three or more litters during the state fiscal year, pounds and shelters, pet shops, research facilities, distributors, out-of-state distributors, boarding facilities, animal rescues and foster homes. Office staff maintains licenses, health papers and correspondence pertaining to the program. Field inspectors inspect licensed facilities and investigate complaints.

Here is the form that a kennel is supposed to complete. It clearly states you need to have a USDA license to be granted a KS license. They cannot sell more than 2 litters of dogs before getting their license, and any offense is punishable up to $1000 per violation….

" I understand that I may not sell any animals until I have been granted a license."

http://www.ksda.gov/includes/document_center/records_center/Animal%20Health/Retail_Breeder_Application.pdf

If the original poster would like to file a complaint with the state of KS, here is the website link:
    http://www.ksda.gov/open_records/id/13

• @Rockcreekk:

We take our Kennel Very Serious and NONE of our Dogs are raised in Cages

Ummm those most definately look like cages to me…... Basenjis, Shibas and Westies.....three of the breeds I have been VERY involved with.....I am really disliking this guy right now....

• It does not look like those dogs live in the house! If anyone is buying a puppy, please try to go in person to visit the breeder and see the adults and pups or have someone who lives in the state or nearby do it for you. If you buy from someone who is USDA licensed, it is my understanding that the dogs cannot live in the house. The dogs are usually kept in a barn or kennel building and there is usually a whelping building also. Please research the breeder!

Jennifer

• You can say whatever you want. All you want to do is start a fight. What you say about me doesn't bother me because you don't know me or care to know me so I could careless about you. We do care about our dogs and its not all about the money. We offer a Lifetime Health Genetic Guarantee for all of our puppies. If a puppies has a genetic issue that falls back on us. Guess I could be like most breeders and offer a 1 year. But then you would complain about that too. Also we are not USDA. I have seen that online too and don't know where to go to fix that. We are strictly state. I will NEVER sell to pet stores. Also regarding "Harold Buzz Powell". That is NOT ME. Just because he lives in this town doesn't mean he has ANYTHING to do with this kennel. I'd like to see all you rescues do half the testing you expect breeders to do. If funny you can come on here and complain about people any think you are perfect. You are far from perfect. I never said I was perfect and never will. Yes, we may strip test our Basenjis and that will change this year. We have already order the test and will get all that done. We have always stood behind our puppies. If there is a problem all our customers have to do is call. There is no way to fix a problem if we don't know about it. So you call all bad mouth me all you want. It doesn't bother be. Just get your facts straight. If you want to be civil and talk then I'll talk. Until then I won't. I do not lose any sleep over you.

• Cut it out!
    Youre a puppy mill

• Like I said say whatever you want. You want to call me a puppy mill that is your choice. Doesn't bother me at all. Just shows how childish you are. This is why we do not deal with Rescues. You all think you are better than everyone. You really should grow up. You want breeders to jump though all these hoops and do all these tests. Why don't you Rescues have to do it. Oh thats right. Your better than everyone. LOL whatever.

• The DNA testing has been around since 2007 so you are 5 years late in caring about preventing a devastating disease. The rescue person you have challenged to do testing already does the testing she is saying you should do so she has done better than doing just half of it and way better than the zero you are doing. So you need to get your own facts straight.

• I'm not a rescue but an informed basenji owner. It's not childish when we're talking about as serious an issue as mass producing living creatures! Go scratch!

• Ps- "A puppy mill, sometimes known as a puppy farm,[1] is a commercial dog breeding facility that is operated with an emphasis upon profits above animal welfare and is often in substandard conditions regarding the well-being of dogs in their care.[2][3] Similar types of operations exist for other animals commonly kept as pets or used as feed for other animals. The term can be applied to operations involving other animals commercially bred for profit, e.g. "kitty mills."[4] There are an estimated 4,000 puppy mills in the U.S. that produce more than half a million puppies a year.[5] Commercial kennels may be licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture which may inspect the kennels routinely.[6]"

Its clearly defined and if you don't consider not ACTUALLY doing the health testing as sub standard care, then you're a bigger idiot than I realized. Not to mention its a drop in the bucket when you have to pay out for a dogs health issues when 1) you make a ton selling a lot of dogs and 2) the customers as you call it who buy from you are for the most part uniformed and don't know health issues could be avoided at your faul so they don't seek reimbursement or complain.

• Lifetime Health Guarantee is sounds great, too bad that genetic concerns like Fanconi can be tested for BEFORE breed and then potential puppy owners never have to worry about it…. Certainly it makes more sense to test first? Same with other genetic concerns with our breed... test first, then breed.... don't fool people with a "Lifetime Health Guarantee", because then their hearts are attached to those that may become sick... be it Fanconi, hips, eye problems... is it not best to test first? Of course that costs...

And I can say as a breeder that I have never made a dime from any litter that I bred or co-bred for that matter, but we had healthly happy pups that were conformation correct and that serves them for a lifetime. When the few times that I broke even... I was thrilled!

• I do rescue and all my dogs are Fanconi DNA tested, have CERF eye exams, and thyroid tested through MSU-Michigan State University.

I commented on a picture that I saw and I stated my opinion. I am interested in a pedigree from your kennel to see who your breeding dogs go back to.

Jennifer

• Sorry I'm not perfect like you ladies. Maybe in my next life I can come back like you ladies and be perfect.

• @Rockcreekk:

I'd like to see all you rescues do half the testing you expect breeders to do.

A resuce is a non-profit organization out there to take in puppies from people who have not done enough research about a breed and have to forfeit the dog. I'm going to take a wild guess here, but I would think about 95% of these dogs (if not higher) come from people like you and other puppy-millers. All reputable breeders will have a signed contract saying that if the dog has to be surrendered it must go back to the breeders kennel so that they can then re-place the dog.

You are right, we don't know you, but when I have asked some very direct questions you have been defensive and evasive. I want to know if you do hips, eye certification, fanconi DNA (but you do strip testing), thyroid, patella and I would like to see OFA certification on those listed.

You also state that your basenji's have never had any health problems and they have not come back to you. What about the 10 other breeds that you have in stock? Becauise that is what they are to you aren't they? Just stock?

We are all far from perfect, but most of us are now in the know about health testing and this is a site where we can all come on here and LEARN. LEARN from mistakes and LEARN more about ourselves and our dogs. Questions about health issues that can now be avoided. Some people will take this information, process it and use it to their advantage, others will read the information given and pass over everything thinking they are right.

As already stated, people who raise puppies and PLACE them in appropriate homes, not sold to "customers", do not make money on breeding quality stock. These are the people who test, repeatedly, will not breed two dogs without testing, want to further the breed and love and properly care for their puppies. These puppies are like family to breeders not just another quick buck.

It is too bad that you cannot see how silly you sound trying to defend yourself and not take the information given and further yourself and your kennel with it.

• I'm rude to people who are rude to me. My dogs are not STOCK to me. We have a contract on every puppy and it Clearly states that ALL puppies no matter there age have to come back to us if for some reason the people can not take care of them. It doesn't matter where they are. We stand behind everyone of our puppies/dogs. And we do not have 10 other breeds. Grow up. Yes, we raise several breeds and I'm not going to quit raising them anytime soon. They are my favorite. You can say I'm silly or I'm an idiot. I really don't care. We do learn from others and do try to better our kennel but I don't like wasting my time to stupid rescue people who think they are better than people. I'd be happy to answer your questions if your weren't such a rude person. I'm not going to bend over backwards and jump though your hoops just because you don't like the fact that I don't breed my dogs the way you think I should. We have 4 dogs come back in 16 years for genetic reasons. We had a westie pup that was alergic to grass, we had a shiba with a level 1 heart mumor that didn't show till 5 months of age, we had morkie come back that got cancer at age 6, we had a westie come back that a tumor at age 7. We took everyone of them back and replaced there dog with another puppy at our cost. So don't tell me I don't care about my dogs or customers. You may think I make a ton of money on my dogs but you are far off. I wish I made half of what you think we make.

• " Stupid Rescue people"….....how do I even respond to that. First of all I am most definately NOT stupid, second of all I have just started doing Basenji resue. Both of my B's come from a very reputable breeder and I did a good year of research before I got my first B. Both of my B's are Canadian conformation Champions, which takes a crap-load of money to complete but when my female was bred I knew she was conformationally-sound, eyes were certified, hips were certified not to mention all of the other health testing. I am not STUPID about this breed.

Suggested Topics