Skip to content

My Basenji boy made it on PAWESOME!!! www.pawesome.net

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Adopted a girl Basenji, neuter boy?

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    1k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Sorry, but I believe that dogs' health should come first. I understand the dilemma that it puts shelters and rescue agencies in, but in general I believe if you can't handle having intact dogs don't get them. Full stop. The more research that is done the more clear it is that we hurt dogs by neutering them. Yes it is annoying to keep a bitch safe once or twice a year when it is in heat, but if you aren't willing to do that why would you get it? Nor should his health suffer because you chose to get a bitch and seem unsure of your ability to keep them separated. I really wish people asked this question before adding an intact dog to their family. The next question is whether you are willing to keep them apart and want help with ideas on how to make it as peceful as possible. Having lived with a male dog that howled the entire time we had a bitch in heat, I can only say that it isn't Fun but it is doable. You can do this!
  • Is she a Basenji?

    Basenji Talk
    16
    2 Votes
    16 Posts
    12k Views
    J
    @melduff I for one think this is FANTASTIC news! You guys are so lucky! You have a one of kind super dog with the papers to prove it. Walks around the neighborhood and trips to the dog park are going to be very much fun... Friendly neighbor: Oh, she's so cute! What kind of dog is she? You: Thanks you so much. Why, she's a Staffy Chow Lab Rott Russell Husky. (Ya haff ta memorize that) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :thumbs_up: Thanks a bunch for letting us know. Very much enjoyed your thread.
  • Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    12k Views
    P
    @ktiefen1 You would be correct!! Potty Training eventually came easy because ours is so treat motivated....lol. Basic obedience is a challenge for us......ahe is definitely her own girl....and please dont disturb her sleep. You could lose a limb. ::)))))
  • A basenji

    Basenji Talk
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    21k Views
    Chealsie508C
    There's nothing like a basenji in the works, from the way they instinctively lay with their had on the bum looking the other way ( I've never met a B that doesn't) to the way you KNOW they all rub on wet towels or play bow…it's all very endearing and in this breed you often identify traits that they all have, an insight into their genetics and their behaviors. I've never enjoyed a breed so much.
  • Is this a Basenji??

    Basenji Talk
    20
    0 Votes
    20 Posts
    18k Views
    G
    My Basenji Billy is quite undershot; he's a purebred, his bottom jaw just didn't stop growing when it was supposed to. That's okay, I'm a bit of a sucker for a dog with an underbite anyway.:) He was my first rescue Basenji.
  • Basenji road trip - oh boy.

    Basenji Talk
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    6k Views
    bethp14B
    Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! I read about the poo in the console too, yucky! There will be 4 of us and the 2 dogs, so hopefully we can keep them out of trouble. :eek: