• Ok, it's been a while since I've been here on the forum but I just want to share a story. I think I posted about my concerns about the shortness of fences at the new dog park and was told he would be more interestes in other dogs.

Well, that is certainly true, but lets say 3 dogs on top of one another, in a row was not fun, but there was also much running ( I'm not sure he knew why he was chasing the dog going after a ball), then there was the couple who set up at the top of a hill for the express purpose of just being able to kick the ball back down the hill after their dog brought it to them.

It was a great time and I will be going back soon.

PS: Dude who loves to stick his nose out the window of the car, passed out on the back seat coming home, "Tired Basenji = Good Basenji".

• I am not a fan of dog parks, but I am glad you find a nice one and Dude had a good time.

• Dog parks can be great, or not. Just be observant, if you see rough dogs and their owners not paying attention, may want to go back another day. Rough play or chasing is OK if all the dogs involved are OK with it, not OK if even one is fearful or unhappy. Mine have good canine dog park friends they are always happy to see and sniff noses with every time they meet up. Find your group of like-minded owners and nice dogs, and go when they go. Enjoy!

• Yes. well, I will have concerns the next time we go, but if it works out as well as the first time then it will be something for us to do and have fun together. The issue is, you never know who will be there.

• Yes. well, I will have concerns the next time we go, but if it works out as well as the first time then it will be something for us to do and have fun together. The issue is, you never know who will be there.

• Both of my local dog parks separate the small and large dogs. I have been to both several times and as MacPack said you will find dogs that meet your dogs "chemistry" just like children at the playground. You'll notice that they'll become close friends and get excited when the other arrives and they'll be inseparable at the park. With this, you'll start going at the same time as certain dogs. Dolce has had a great time at the dog park. She usually goes 4 days a week, same time and the same dogs. All the humans know each other by name and the name of the dogs. We don't hesitate to make corrections on each others dogs if necessary. This group is so compatible, corrections are very rare. This dog park has been a great experience for Dolce and for me. She gets the socialization and exercise she needs. Don't give up; you'll find a good group.

• Well, I went to the dog park again. It was actually kinda boring. Only one other guy there with 2 little, shaved white dogs. He was not talkative at all and after the initial sniff, the dogs pretty much ignored on another. It was kinda hot
    (90 degrees) + humid + around dinner time so I wasn't really surprised.
    I was gonna leave when I, with the sun in my eyes, saw someone showing up with a dog with a curly tail and pointy ears. I thought, "OMG, is that a basenji, can't leave now." Turns out it was a Shiba-Inu. Cute dog. I thought, "Hey, maybe we'll get something here, playwise." No such luck, again, ignoring after the initial sniff. Oh well, it still made a tired basenji, which is good.

I will go back again. Oh, and DolceMomma, this park also separates small and large. But the "large" dog area is so-o much nicer than the small dog area. First time, we started in the "small" dog area, alone, five minutes, went into the "large" dog area, 'cause that's where everyone else was. I just think this is a good way for my boy to get socialized. But I am/will be vigilant.

Suggested Topics