• Houston

Fran,

the DAP really worked wonders on Otis when he was in the car..he had a slight case of anxiety, but the DAP would calm him down to the point that he could fall asleep, as supposed to pace and whine..I used the spray for him, would spray his bed in the crate or blanket and it seemed to work great.

On Pippi, nothing works…besides letting him be in teh car uncrated, he is in teh very back for the car with a barrier between us and him, he doesn't like it but settles down and sleeps after a while..if crated he screams the entire trip wether 20 min. or 4 hours..miserable and in my opinion, highly unsafe as it makes me a nervous nelly driver..

I know leaving a dog uncrated in the car is not good, but our options are nil...so that is how he travels.
    Moses crates ok, and I could maybe leave Pippin in Moses crate with him, except Moses gets carsick and I rather wash one dog off than two..if you know what I mean. 🙂

• Fran…if you go to comfort zone's website and sign up for their newsletter (in the Contact Us section), they send you coupons. I think it $15 off for the defuser and $5 and $10 off for refills. Quite a good deal. Also your vet may carry it - mine does and the refills are discounted there (marketed as D.A.P - not comfort zone - but still by Farnam).

http://www.petcomfortzone.com/

• @renaultf1:

Fran…if you go to comfort zone's website and sign up for their newsletter (in the Contact Us section), they send you coupons. I think it $15 off for the defuser and $5 and $10 off for refills. Quite a good deal. Also your vet may carry it - mine does and the refills are discounted there (marketed as D.A.P - not comfort zone - but still by Farnam).

http://www.petcomfortzone.com/

Ack! I ordered already. Oh well, will sign up for the newsletter now. 🙂

• @Basenjimamma:

Fran,
    I know leaving a dog uncrated in the car is not good, but our options are nil

Have you tried using a seat belt harness? That's how our dogs ride.

I agree with those who say that the best option is probably to ignore the behavior…trying to comfort an anxious dog only reenforces the idea that it's OK to be anxious.

We made that mistake with Maxx...both with riding in the car and with thunder. As a result, he was always a nervous rider, spending most of the time pacing back and forth (as much as the seat belt harness would allow) and was frightened of thunder.

This time, we're not making the same mistakes. Gracie has always been a good rider, spending it sleeping. Blaze is a good rider, too, although recently he's begun to stand and look out the window when we're driving around town, although he does lay down on longer trips. We ignore him when he stands (fortunately, no pacing). And the few times we've had thunder, we completely ignore it and don't say a word to the dogs. It's too early to tell how they'll be with thunder...haven't had much to test it yet. :rolleyes:

• Pretty much all dogs go through a second period of fear around that age. Just ignore her or calm her down without reinforcing that behavior. Don't give in to her now. Those things are nothing special, so no reason for fear, so don't start petting her or when she does that.
    Should be over pretty soon if you just ignore her.

• @LindaH:

Hi Linda, I tried that this morning, but boy is he a wiggle worm. I went through the whole process of getting ready for the car ride super calmly with no talking. But once we got in the car he was wiggling all over, right over to the driver's side (not safe). I only corrected him when he got in front of my field of vision.

Good thing the drive was not far. I got out of the car first, but he was right behind me, pulling to get me to start walking to the dike. Once there, I let him off leash, and he proceeded to run. He caught up with 2 ladies and their dog. Kipawa made friends with the big black dog, and went everywhere it did, which included going into a stinky slough.

He would not respond to me when I called him, so I really had to run to catch up to the ladies and him. Once I got him, the leash went on and we turned in the opposite direction to go home. Here is what I find interesting - lots of commotion on his part when we are going to a destination, but virtually NONE on the ride home. So, I'm thinking the anxiety is pure excitement of what will come. Once the walk is over, what's there to be excited about? Not much.

I'm going to try something - what do you all think? I'll get him in the car, open the garage door, leave the garage, back onto our driveway, and turn the engine off. Then after about 2 minutes, start the car, open the garage door, drive into the garage, turn off the engine and sit there for about 2 minutes. Then repeat and repeat. The goal is to get him calm for 10 minutes, sitting in a car that is going nowhere.

• Houston

Originally Posted by LindaH

I have tried them too..have one for each of my four dogs, but only two of them stay put in it, they other two, one whom is Pippin, wiggle their way out of it, even though I have it so tight it seems impossible..go figure.

• @Kipawa:

Hi Linda, I tried that this morning, but boy is he a wiggle worm. I went through the whole process of getting ready for the car ride super calmly with no talking. But once we got in the car he was wiggling all over, right over to the driver's side (not safe). I only corrected him when he got in front of my field of vision.

Good thing the drive was not far. I got out of the car first, but he was right behind me, pulling to get me to start walking to the dike. Once there, I let him off leash, and he proceeded to run. He caught up with 2 ladies and their dog. Kipawa made friends with the big black dog, and went everywhere it did, which included going into a stinky slough.

He would not respond to me when I called him, so I really had to run to catch up to the ladies and him. Once I got him, the leash went on and we turned in the opposite direction to go home. Here is what I find interesting - lots of commotion on his part when we are going to a destination, but virtually NONE on the ride home. So, I'm thinking the anxiety is pure excitement of what will come. Once the walk is over, what's there to be excited about? Not much.

I'm going to try something - what do you all think? I'll get him in the car, open the garage door, leave the garage, back onto our driveway, and turn the engine off. Then after about 2 minutes, start the car, open the garage door, drive into the garage, turn off the engine and sit there for about 2 minutes. Then repeat and repeat. The goal is to get him calm for 10 minutes, sitting in a car that is going nowhere.

oh, okay, I'll say it. Control Unleashed by McDivett or Click to Calm by Parsons ( i think). You CAN clicker train a calm behavior. google Relaxation Protocal by Dr Overall. You can do the steps with Kipawa on a mat in the house then start doing them in the car. Notice how the criteria gradually increases, but also ping-pongs. Easy, then harder, then easier, then harder. You can adapt this for riding in the car especially if you've done all 15 days in the house first. The dog should remain in a sit or down for each day's worth of exercises. You can also spray the mat with DAP if you feel the urge.

Also Calming Signals is good to have.

• i found Hope went through a similar stage. If my partner left the house she would whinge, if i left the house, she would whinge. Best thing we did was just ignore it and she got over it 🙂

A great thing to teach also is the word wait (or whatever you chose to use). When i go to get out of the car i usually might have my hands full etc or might even drop the lead by accident when i open the door. the best thing i ever taught my dog is wait. so she waits for me to get out and fix myself up and then shes only allowed out of that car when i say 'ok'. - i am one of those super paranoid people that ive seen peoples dogs just bolt out of the cars and head into traffic :| i just wanted to share this, you might already even do it 🙂

• btw … Hopes always super excited when i take her out in the car (i open the door and she jumps up into my car). She yawns alot on the way there and on the way home shes quiet and content.

Hope things improve for you and Kipawa 🙂

P.s maybe walk him on the lead til he shows calmed behavour even for half an hour or so and then let him off, might make him think? (just a suggestion :)) usually if i go down the beach i walk at least one way before letting Hope off the leash and all depending on her behaviour too, heck she might stay on the leash the whole walk - they soon learn 😉

• First Basenji's

Uzie will do the same thing as Kipawa-dead sleep, I move, he follows. I ignore him when he does this. I luckily have two other dogs in the house for distraction/companionship, but if I leave for a long period of time, he does better when not crated. Otherwise he baroos like, like, like the loneliest Basenji in the whole world! I usually throw some kibble all over the floor of one room and leave the house. Like I said, he only baroos when crated. But for you, maybe you can try the Kibble Throw. As for the car, maybe you can start the engine, turn it off, wait, then give praise and/or kibble and start it up again until you can leave it on for a minute or so. The calming spray may help too.

Suggested Topics