Skip to content

Basenji breeder from the past

Basenji Talk
  • Yesterday we went to a fun dog show and bumped into a lady who had two Basenjis in the past. She got the girl from a very well known breeder in the 50's but couldn't remember the name.
    She mentioned the kennel name Riverdell or Riverdene, she showed her dog whose show name was little Brown Jug. Eventualy Little Brown jug went to live in the Isle of White.

  • That was probably one of Phyllis Cook's of the Riviana Basenjis I would think.

  • Little Brown Jug was bred by Phyllis Cook and was indeed a Riviana. Did she say the name of the bitch, Shelley? Possibly another Riviana.

  • Jenny and Helena, thanks for your replies.
    It's always interesting talking to basenji people. The lady didn't mention the name of the bitch. She did say that Little Brown Jug went to live with someone on the Isle of White.
    She also said that she's never heard a Basenji yodel, unfortunately Kwame wouldn't perform for her.

Suggested Topics

  • Is she a Basenji?

    Basenji Talk
    16
    2 Votes
    16 Posts
    12k Views
    J
    @melduff I for one think this is FANTASTIC news! You guys are so lucky! You have a one of kind super dog with the papers to prove it. Walks around the neighborhood and trips to the dog park are going to be very much fun... Friendly neighbor: Oh, she's so cute! What kind of dog is she? You: Thanks you so much. Why, she's a Staffy Chow Lab Rott Russell Husky. (Ya haff ta memorize that) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :thumbs_up: Thanks a bunch for letting us know. Very much enjoyed your thread.
  • Is this a Basenji?

    Moved Basenji Talk
    5
    1 Votes
    5 Posts
    8k Views
    D
    @weedtrek Possibly Basenji mix, nose looks a bit wider and the eyes are less oval. Could well be a Basenji mix though.
  • The Other Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    9k Views
    KipawaK
    I read your blog and find it kind of confusing and ….. your comment about "messing with ..." hmmmmmmm.... Anyhow, yes, it is so cool when you come across another basenji, because they totally understand each other and how they want to play. We were fortunate once to have another basenji play chase with Kipawa at a dog park. I just don't think there are many basenjis in the Lower Mainland. :(
  • Is she a basenji

    Basenji Talk
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    22k Views
    W
    lol usually when you breed a bigger dog to a smaller dog the Male is the tiny one. Its just dangerous to do it the other way around. As far as DNA breed testing I would go for it if I could. But i am just interested in those kinds of tests. We offer them at our clinic but i haven't ever seen results for them.
  • Is this a basenji?

    Basenji Talk
    37
    0 Votes
    37 Posts
    26k Views
    DukeD
    @phoenix3: Looks like a B to me but i think more of a B mix he looks like he has corse hair Maybe be has the size of a cattledog body and a basenji head :) My Aspen is a cattledog/ terrier mix he has the body of a cattledog {the colors} and the height and face of a terrier heres a pic so u can see the colors of the cattledog well one color anyways :D :D phoenix3 - this is Aspen? I'm so amazed at her spots, because my Daisy has spots like Aspens. We know her mother is pure R/W Basenji and she is thought her other half Beagle. One of her other litter mate moms thought Blue Healer (cattledog). But I subscribed to the Beagle. Daisy could be … Cattle Dog I suppose. She's bigger than Duke now at almost 9 months old. I will show her off soon on "Show Off" forum soon.
  • "A Tired Basenji Is A Happy Basenji"

    Basenji Talk
    20
    0 Votes
    20 Posts
    23k Views
    WeLuvBasenjisW
    I have found that if I take my B to doggie daycare (even if it's only for half a day), she is ehausted when I bring her home. She will let me do the dishes without any basenji help! She also tends to treat our doggie friends a little nicer when they come around. Having a worn out basenji is deifinitely worth the $15!!