How Often Should You Vaccinate Your Dog?

• I am getting Oakleys 1 year wellness exam and they say he is due for Lyme and rabies… Can anyone tell me what I should be giving? I wo t do more than one vaccine in a week. I know some places are 3 years for rabies... How about MA? I looked on the forum for answers but didn't find what I was looking for. I don't wan to over vaccinate and since people seem so passionate on he subject I'm hoping some breeders will chime in and help me...

• Rabies needs to be given at 1yr then every 3yrs. So, they are given one as a puppy, one at 1yr, then every three years.

I prefer to wait at least 2 to 3wks between shots

• Thanks pat… I was confused as to whether it was appropriate to give him another rabies since he had one last year... Is Lyme a yearly vaccine..
    And do they normally do bloodwork? If not should I ask for it? Lastly, and unrelated to this thread so I apologize... Oakley is blowing his yearly coat and last week I noticed a red rash where his red collar lays on his neck so Ive kept it off him and the next day it was gone but today I noticed a red rash in the center of his chest with red rash dots intermittently on one leg and his chest around the big rash.... Do they get irritated during this time or should I consider food allergies? Ive fed him Fromms for 3 months but the last order I added the duck to the salmon and chicken versions.. That I added a month ago... I love Fromms so I'd hate for it to Be the cause, also it's hard to tell because I've been bad and giving im snacks of all sorts so idk if I can pinpoint a food cause. I'm starting today with just his food in order to narrow it. Your advice would be appreciated.

• I have never given Lyme, but I think it is yearly. No, they do not usually do bloodwork at 1yr, however I had both C-Me and Franie done so that I have a base line on file, but that was just because I am a big one on blood work and I wanted it.

As far as the rash, doesn't really sound food related, but the only way to know is to go back to only what you were feeding before adding the two new kinds.

I use Fromm's also, Surf and Turf… and just started with a bag of the Pork and Applesause.

• @Chealsie508:

I am getting Oakleys 1 year wellness exam and they say he is due for Lyme and rabies…

The Lyme vaccine is on the list of non-core vaccines and should only be given if the disease is a true threat in your area.

As for rabies, we had both of our dogs' first, 1-year, rabies vaccination done at about 6 months of age. One year later, at about 1-1/2 years of age, we had the 2nd, 3-year, vaccination done (or, in Blaze's case will have it done since he's now not quite 14 months old).

• Thanks to you both. I have an appointment Friday but I called and spoke to my vet today about the rash just to make sure it didn't need more immediate attention. He doesn't think it sounds food related but he felt comfortable leaving that til his wellness exam Friday. Lyme is a very big threat here so look like I'll schedule that in a few weeks, the la. At our vets is having a special with bloodwork that will not charge for the heartworm panel (40$) they have done at yearly physicals but rather include it free with the bloodwork so I imagine I'll just do it… But I did have them do bloodwork before his neuter on september 1st so I wonder if that wouldn't be the same thing??
    Thanks to you both, I always prefer to take my advice from breeders on the forum rather than my vet(how sad is that? I prefer to ask health inquires here first then take that info with me to the vets!)

• If you did blood work before the neuter, that would be enough of a baseline. IMO And since all Vets now are required (silly, in my opinion if they are on HW Meds year round) to do the HW blood test, I would just do the HW test…. that is important (Heartworm meds)

And keep in mind that Vets are used to people that don't have a clue, nor do they want to.... and those are 90% more visits then breeders or knowledged owners..... being with your Vet for a while, they learn that you are NOT part of the 90%

• Thanks Pat, I really appreciate it- at this point it's safe to call you our "go to"

• Why not ask your breeder who is in MA - they would know the protocol for Rabies for that state. 😉

FWIW, I was advised (by my dog's breeder) from day one to not do a ****tail of vaccines on one day - that rabies should be done alone. When I used to do lyme, I would usually do rabies alone and then wait 3-4 weeks to do lyme - never both the same day. I followed my breeder's advice since I figure they know what they are talking about. My vet also thought it was a good idea. Oh, and I think the rabies vaccine is the same - whether for 1 year or 3 year (Maine is 3yr, but for pups you give the 1 year and then the next year they get the 3 year). Additionally, I get baseline bloodwork done at their annual exams.

Regarding Lyme…it is a big issue here in Maine. But once my vet told me that they have dogs in their practice that use Frontline and have had the Lyme vaccine still get Lyme, I opted not to do the Lyme vaccine last year. I don't use any topical either. My vet just advised to do visual checks - harder with my boy Oz since he is b&w - but doable. So I do visual checks after walks and then throughout the day in case I miss a tick the first time. Everything I've read says you have 36 - 48 hours to get a tick off before you have to worry about them contracting Lyme.

• I'm really not sure why you care so much as to remind me where my breeder lives or who she is ( as both of us clearly know) . It's a rather insulting innuendo. As mentioned on the forum previously I experienced the hard way about not vaccinating more than one shot… Id rather a breeder teach me not to repeat Mistakes and tell me how to move forward ( which Pat did) Rather then hearing "ive killed my dog" and be chastised, which was what I wa first met with when trying to get guidance! And believe I mentioned in this thread I don't have intentions of giving more than one. As for why I prefer to ask Pat questions ( which really isn't your business) I don't have a great breeder relationship with Oakleys breeder, while I love her dogs...her an I don't get along personality wise. Hope thats enough of a satisfying answer for your obvious itch to know, of which I assume my breeders already told you!

Suggested Topics