• Whoops, wrong thread. Weird.

• Linda said "He said that to date, 1100 tests have come back as questionable because of the same type scenario and all the retests have cleared up the question by finding an error on the parents' tests or the retest on the pup came back as clear the second time"

This statement is NOT correct at all. The 1100 tests she is referring to are those where we have tested both parents and those results show NO cases where normal parents have produced carrier or affected offspring, No cases where normal to carrier breedings have produced test results indicating affected offspring and No cases where affected parents have produced normal offspring.

We have a report that is refreshed every day to flag inconsistent results and that starts a procedure to track down the reason. So far the few cases in that situation have proven to be caused by either misinterpretation of a result or mishandling of samples at some stage of collection and DNA extraction. In one case it was found that the dog in questions pedigree was incorrect.

Jon

• I am thrilled it sounds like some additional safety nets are being set in place.
    I am curious though, if the refreshed report is linked to the OFFA data base test results how is information effected by "incorrect" results.
    See link; http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1287969#animal
    According to the article written in the Bulletin (actually by the disclaimer written below the article) this dog has retested Prob Affected, yet you can see his results on the OFFA data is still Prob Carrier. I suppose I am just a bit concerned about accuracy of the refreshed report if data is not accurate over all.
    I would also wonder if you have any numbers to quote regarding results of dogs too young to challenge the accuracy of the marker test. If out of the total number of dogs tested a large percentage are young puppies under 1yr they really can't be counted as accurate yet can they?
    Just curious how the numbers you have quoted are gathered.
    Thanks in advance for any clarification you can offer.
    Therese Leimback
    FoPaw's Basenjis

• Hey Therese, When I went to the link you included it says the dog is p. Affected as the final conclusion. His OFA number has CAR in it still but the final result says p. affected.

• @curbyj:

Linda said "He said that to date, 1100 tests have come back as questionable because of the same type scenario and all the retests have cleared up the question by finding an error on the parents' tests or the retest on the pup came back as clear the second time"

This statement is NOT correct at all. The 1100 tests she is referring to are those where we have tested both parents and those results show NO cases where normal parents have produced carrier or affected offspring, No cases where normal to carrier breedings have produced test results indicating affected offspring and No cases where affected parents have produced normal offspring.

We have a report that is refreshed every day to flag inconsistent results and that starts a procedure to track down the reason. So far the few cases in that situation have proven to be caused by either misinterpretation of a result or mishandling of samples at some stage of collection and DNA extraction. In one case it was found that the dog in questions pedigree was incorrect.

Jon

Jon, since Dr Gonto's own dog HAS fanconi, and is from probable clear and probable carrier, your response confuses me.

EDIT: Actually the testing on his dog's parents may not be certain so I shouldn't have mentioned that one. But we have heard of others. I never expected the test to be perfect, and I won't quit strip testing my probable clear or probable carrier until there is a DNA test. But I sure am grateful for the linkage test and work done.

• Linda,
    That's been changed since the last time I checked, maybe someone updated it or maybe this new refresh thing did it? Either way glad its fixed.
    Therese

• @tanza:

Jon had done a spread sheet that showed offspring test results that had tested Sires & Dams.

I was going to ask if we could see a copy of it, but since he gives the results guess not necessary.. however, would still like to.

@curbyj:

The 1100 tests she is referring to are those where we have tested both parents and those results show:
    NO cases where normal parents have produced carrier or affected offspring
    No cases where normal to carrier breedings have produced test results indicating affected offspring and
    No cases where affected parents have produced normal offspring.

Jon

Okay, after getting a couple of decent nights sleep, I realize a few things.
    First, this relates ONLY to testing pa/pcarrier/pclear. Do you have any stats on dogs that tested PCarrier or PClear that developed Fanconi, such as Steve Gontos dog. If so, when retested, did the results stay the same or were they retested?

@Therese:

I am thrilled it sounds like some additional safety nets are being set in place.
    I would also wonder if you have any numbers to quote regarding results of dogs too young to challenge the accuracy of the marker test. If out of the total number of dogs tested a large percentage are young puppies under 1yr they really can't be counted as accurate yet can they?
    Just curious how the numbers you have quoted are gathered.
    Thanks in advance for any clarification you can offer.
    Therese Leimback
    FoPaw's Basenjis

I am happy to the system is in place.
    But for the rest, confused (not uncommon). The results relate to testing accuracy, not development of fanconi, I am pretty sure, so what does age have to do with it?

• @Therese:

Linda,
    That's been changed since the last time I checked, maybe someone updated it or maybe this new refresh thing did it? Either way glad its fixed.
    Therese

Still is misleading with the CAR status in the OFA number. If you were just looking at the listing of Basenjis tested by Number, without opening the dog's record, you would be lead to believe that dog was a Carrier?

• Debra,
    I think the comment about age (puppies under a year) can not be counted as accurate yet is because Fanconi is late onset, so if they were to develope Fanconi, it would not be know now. But not sure if that is what you are asking?

• @tanza:

Debra,
    I think the comment about age (puppies under a year) can not be counted as accurate yet is because Fanconi is late onset, so if they were to develope Fanconi, it would not be know now. But not sure if that is what you are asking?

I think I said clearly his results are seemingly about TESTING results, not actual development. So his results are accurate for TESTING, which is what he was posting, which has nothing to do with the age of the animal tested but only if it shows expected outcomes based on the sire/dam.

Age only has to do with outcome, not what his chart/results were about (ie if the linkage test results for sire/dam match what the offspring linkage test RESULT (not if they actually develop the disease)). Not sure how to make that clearer.

Suggested Topics