• lvoss is correct - order the fanconi test from Offa.org. I doubt your vet will know anything about it.

• Houston

…...., and I wouldn't give back my puppy for anything, she is a sweet heart

I agree with you a 100%..most of us, if not all of us, will never want to give the dog up or away for anything..but things happen sometimes in your life that makes that possiblility very true….and when/if that ever happens it is extremely nice to know that your breeder now matter what will take you dog back so he/she will never end up in a shelter .

My BYB-breed basenji ended up biting my 4 yr old child, myself and my husband..when he bit my child the third time we knew something had to happen..we could not live with the fear of our children's or our own safety anymore..the option of calling our "breeder" was a joke..a) because I didn't want Otis back in those conditions again, b) because the phone never got picked up on the "breeders" end..i.e no one was there to support you..he ended up getting rehomed through BRAT..and is thriving now in a childless, single dog home..and has not had any issues of biting again..

I never, never thought I would give my dog up...but things happen where you have no control..

This is only a minor part of why responsible, reputable breeders are what we need to support and seek out..but..
    yes I understand your notion of never, ever wanting to give her back or up....

• I am rather shocked to hear Brat took a dog with multiple bite issues. I consider it irresponsible, actually. Most rescues will try to work with the family to resolve it with the family, or advise to put down. I do know BRAT now does not take such dogs. When you take a dog you KNOW has bitten, if that dog bites again, your rescue can be sued into the stone age over it. No matter how much most of us see the issue as being bad training or even ABUSE, we can't risk an entire rescue for one dog. So please understand that for most situations, if a dog bites, it's over. You either get professional help, find a home on your own (and also risk liability), or euthanize the dog. Saying the dog is now in a home without children… sorry but almost no human in this country can guarantee a dog will not ever have access... be it neighbors, family, visitors or girl scouts at the door, or the dog get out.

For the rest, it actually is even more than just the health of YOUR own dog and heartbreak. When you buy from someone like that, you enable them to continue doing it. I don't think anyone here expects you to give the dog back, but please give her as hard of time as possible at least. 🙂 Make it cost her as much as you can, if not in money then at least in continued earfuls and complaints.

• Houston

I am rather shocked to hear Brat took a dog with multiple bite issues. I consider it irresponsible, actually. Most rescues will try to work with the family to resolve it with the family, or advise to put down. I do know BRAT now does not take such dogs. When you take a dog you KNOW has bitten, if that dog bites again, your rescue can be sued into the stone age over it. No matter how much most of us see the issue as being bad training or even ABUSE, we can't risk an entire rescue for one dog. So please understand that for most situations, if a dog bites, it's over. You either get professional help, find a home on your own (and also risk liability), or euthanize the dog. Saying the dog is now in a home without children… sorry but almost no human in this country can guarantee a dog will not ever have access... be it neighbors, family, visitors or girl scouts at the door, or the dog get out.

Well I am here for yor shock value alone then….

BRAT offered to help us rehome Otis due to the fact that he had resource guarding issues..not aggression issues..after talking to them and them knowing they had a perfect fit..they were very helpful in setting up a meeting.
    Otis new mommy, is an middle aged lady...whom has had basenjis all her life, her last one was an aggression biter whom she never wanted to put down, since Otis was diagnozed with resource guarding, something that is highly trainable if you are stern, all on the same page with the training etc, etc...after her experiences they knew she would do good by Otis..and YES you can guarantee no children will be in your home..YOU open the door YOU decide.
    Not that she had to guarantee anything…

I've also fostered basenjis for BRAT that has bitten..the key is to know why they are biting..not all reasons go across the same grate.

BUT the point was..with a BYB you have no clue what you are buying..health, temperament or socialbility wise.

• BRAT does the best job they can for any basenji in need. We didn't get in the rescue business to "kill" b's.
    BUT we also can't place dogs who will be dangerous.
    Its a fine line…not one that is fun to have to decide.
    Lets not BRASH Brat please.
    They have saved so many dogs.

• My BYB-breed basenji ended up biting my 4 yr old child, myself and my husband..when he bit my child the third time

Sharon, Not bashing BRAT. You should know that.

I agree resource guarding is something you can deal with. That wasn't the point. The point was a dog who has bitten, much less several times, is a liability that few rescues take on. And I am still shocked they would take a dog with that many bites even if only resource guarding. And the other point is even if you open the door, dogs get loose. Sounds like the home is a great one, and please don't get me wrong… am very glad they found it for you! But from a rescue point of view, risking the loss of the rescue due to liability issues over any one dog surprises me. I am sorry I upset you.. the discussion wasn't bashing you or BRAT.

• Houston

My post is absolutely not a bash, more so a way of showing the compassion of BRAT and its wonderful people..and also the importancy of doing your research on the breeders you are looking at.

I can honestly say I seriously doubt Otis was the only dog ever to get a second chance through BRAT..because if biting…

The happiest day in my life will be the day Rescues no longer excists...because no dogs need to be picked from BYB's or puppymills.

• Sorry folks. Re reading your posts I see I over reacted.
    Sigh.
    We have so many b's who need homes. We so work to find a home to match every b.
    BRAT does have to make sure that a basenji with "issues" will be ok in a new home and not a risk to anyone.
    I wish rescue didn't have to be. I wish all dogs, children, old folks, were love and cared for.
    Maybe one day…again..sorry I overreated.
    Busy day with rescue and seems there is no end in sight.

• Houston

We went ahead and went through with our decision. She came home yesterday with a cone and was very sleepy. Today she is doing much better. More playful and it's seems that she is recovering really well.

• Glad she is home and doing well!

Suggested Topics