Need to get bad pee smell out of my hardwood floor

• Thank you all for your responses. I am going to increase the proportion of vinegar to water and will let you know how that comes along. I think somewhere in our garage we have citrus hardwood cleaner. I'll get some of that into a spray bottle and use it as well.

• Get that pom a cute little 'belly band' for his next visit!

• Or a doggie diaper!

• There is a comercial product called Zero Odor that is awesome at neutralizing the urine smell in hardwood floors or carpets. If you have had a male cat in the house you know just how they will spray and how potant the scent can get, Zero Odor really neutralizes the smell on a molecular level. You can find online and it isnt really expensive.

• There is a great product I use - "SCOE 10X" (the company name is BioFog). You have to order it on-line and it's not cheap, but it's concentrated (you add water) and I have never used a better product. I think there is a video on their website that shows someone spraying it on a skunk carcass and then taking a big whiff. Seriously - it's that powerful! And no, I have no affliliation with this company. I found it on-line a few years ago while trying to get something to remove the odor of cat pee from a rental property where the tenants had let their cat use the basement as a restroom for a year. And it worked.

• My husband's a spic & span military type with a horror of Pee Smell, so I had to find something EFFECTIVE to clean up after my fosters dogs that was also safe to use around Basenjis–who are even more sensitive to VOC's in the environment than other breeds. I did a lot of research and the trick is to neutralize the acidic urine with an alkaline substance. Nothing I bought worked very well, or it was crazy expensive and contained questionable ingredients, so I experimented with vinegar, lemon juice, borax, baking soda and washing soda. The following recipe is fabulous at neutralizing urine odour, plus it disinfects and cleans. It even removes the burned coffee smell from plastic coffee machines--give it a try. You can omit the Borax, but it won't work as well and you can easily find Borax in the cleaning section at the hardware store. Try throwing a 1/2 cup in the washer to boost your detergent, it really helps.

1/2 cup baking soda
    1 tbsp powdered Borax (eg. “20 Mule Team”—note: NOT Boric Acid, it isn’t the same thing)
    1 tsp liquid soap
    1 cup boiling water
    2 tbsp white vinegar
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    Thoroughly dissolve baking soda, Borax & soap in boiling water, then add vinegar & lemon juice. Mixture will fizz, so use a large bowl. Fill spray bottle 2/3 full, allow fizzing to subside, screw top on loosely. Wipe up puddled or dried urine, then spray mixture generously over area & allow to sit for 5-10 minutes, then wipe with damp cloth.

• The stains can be removed by using a stain and odor removal product from your grocery; or get a professional Carpet cleaner to do it properly. Usually I use to keep a liquid in the bottle containing white vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it on all the area containing the stains until the carpet is wet and let it stand for several hours so that the odor can be neutralized. Apart from this I used to do regular vacuuming.

http://www.carpetkare.co.uk/wrexham.html

• you need to hire a professional carpet cleaners because carpet cleaning methods rely on the type of carpet you have. The fabric and material of the carpet decides the method and chemicals used for them. Cleaning the carpets on your own by making use of standard methods or machines brought for hire can be harmful for carpets as one isn't totally aware of the right method to be utilized. Therefore in such cases when you are not sure of the method to use and what one is definitely the best, you should consult with professionals. They know the best technique to be utilized for your carpets.

• We use rocco and roxie enzyme based pet odor & stain for dog and cats pee. We spray it on our hardwood floors and it works great. There's nothing in it that should harm the wood or stain or seal. Just don't let it sit on there for a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Strength-Stain-Odor-Eliminator/dp/B00CKFL93K

• I recommend Isopropryl Alcohol if it is very bad. Avoid harsh chemicals unless necessary. Follow up though with waterless carwash. It works great on floors and helps protect the varnish surface and the woo
    d from scratching and drying.

Suggested Topics