• Where'd ya find it for $30? Is that in american or some other? All the ones I found were 75+. I'd love to figure out what my girl is mixed with LOL and that sure is more affordable!

• @Ellusionz:

Where'd ya find it for $30? Is that in american or some other? All the ones I found were 75+. I'd love to figure out what my girl is mixed with LOL and that sure is more affordable!

Sorry, I meant ?30 (I am in the UK) as opposed to ?60. I just googled Dog DNA tests.

On another note, we bumped into someone yesterday whilst walking at the country park, and I commented "that looks like a basenji tail" to which i was told she was a basenji (funny, i have never heard of them 6 months ago, now bumping into them). Was interesting to see. Piper was about half an inch shorter and slightly longer in the body, but they looked nearly identical. Having seen this dog (she was smaller than i expected them to be) she seems to have a stocky terrier body, on basenji legs and with a basenji head.

• I'm intrigued - what part of the UK do you live? With the Welsh in your name I'm wondering if it's Wales? I live near the Welsh border and if you are not too far I'd be happy to meet up with you and Pippin and give you an opinion based on actual sight.

Someone else on this Forum has had a dna test done but the results were not really all that brilliant but as you are so keen why not?

Interesting that your vet's Mother in law used to breed Basenjis - probably we in the UK would recognise her name. Just curious.

Did the Basenji owner that you met think Pippin was a Basenji mix?

What a terrible early experience she had, poor Pippin, I'm so glad that she's ended up in your happy forever home.

• @Patty:

I'm intrigued - what part of the UK do you live? With the Welsh in your name I'm wondering if it's Wales? I live near the Welsh border and if you are not too far I'd be happy to meet up with you and Pippin and give you an opinion based on actual sight.

Someone else on this Forum has had a dna test done but the results were not really all that brilliant but as you are so keen why not?

Interesting that your vet's Mother in law used to breed Basenjis - probably we in the UK would recognise her name. Just curious.

Did the Basenji owner that you met think Pippin was a Basenji mix?

What a terrible early experience she had, poor Pippin, I'm so glad that she's ended up in your happy forever home.

I currently live in Berkshire, but am from Pembrokeshire originally (not far from the rescue we got Piper from). We plan to go back and take her down in March for a weekend. I get paid next week so ordering the test then - January has been a long month, and we are getting married this year so trying to save as much as possible!

I don't know the name of the vets MIL, may ask next week as Piper is being spayed 😞 (just dont like the idea of her having surgery, she still seems so young).

Funnily enough we bumped into the lady with the basenji last night on our way back. She thought Piper did have Basenji in her anyway, as she was so similar to her dog. Then her dog walked up to Piper, sniffed her and bit her! :eek: Piper snapped back (after a little squeak) and ran to me. The dog followed again and was not keen on Piper at all, so the lady thinks there's definitely Basenji in her! Poor Piper, she kept looking at me as if to say "what did i do? I just want to be friends"

• Most rescues here spay/neuter before they place. Pediatric spays as young as 6 wks are relatively safe. I understand spay/neuter for rescue, but I would never do it again on a dog I had a choice about.

Wow your neighbor needs to control her dog. That kind of incident can turn your dog off other dogs. Poor Piper!

• she does have basenji characteristics then apart from her colours and looks.- i also think she must have some basenji blood! She is lovely and lucky no matter what! adorable little face:)))))

• @Thana:

she does have basenji characteristics then apart from her colours and looks.- i also think she must have some basenji blood! She is lovely and lucky no matter what! adorable little face:)))))

Having read about the characteristics I think she does. The lady with the basenji that we met also commented on some of the things she was doing as "very basenji" (eg. standing on her back legs so she could see what was going on). Has a lovely wrinkly forehead too. Got very frustrated with me earlier and did her funny bark, more of a wierd howl really. She is def one of a kind. Its a shame we have to have her spayed (not that I could ever justify letting her have a litter).

Suggested Topics