• Andrea I'd love to see your thoughts about Ariel as she gets older and in comparison to your domestic little ones.

My dogs have quite a bit of African in them & myself & others believe they are slightly different than the domestics.

• Andrea,
    Too cool…. I met your pups Mom and Dad when I was back there last year... in March... Mom is a sweetie... Dad is handsome... Congrats......

• Hi Andrea,

What a beatiful new girl you have added to your family :o)

I have both Avongara and Brindles too so maybe I am partial… :o)

Best wishes Jeanette from Sweden

• Sorry, something happened to my smilies, they were supposed to be happy..

Jeanette

• Thanks Jeanette 🙂 Bumping this thread up is a good reason to do an update! Ariel is doing very well. She is getting big quickly! We are struggling with housebreaking...as she does something I have never had a dog do...she will be so relaxed when she is sleeping that she just pees in her sleep...even is she is on your lap :o
    I haven't noticed any huge differences between this Avongara and my domestics, except she has a long waggy tail 🙂 It only curls when she is REALLY alert..and then only slightly over her back. She is very waggy, and very bonded to me, but friendly to everybody else. She doesn't take ANY cr^p from the other dogs....when they reprimand her, she will argue right back Her saddle is fading, but she is still very dark. She is really a joy....very cuddly, and just a little character....oh, and she actually listens better than all of my domestics put together! Well, excluding Blondie "the perfect one".

• Andrea,
    That is so interesting… as you know, I own Paris with Jeff, I had her here for a week and my old kids hated her... so Jeff and I decided it would be best for her to be with him for a while.... anyway... interesting that you talk about Ariel peeing in her sleep.... Paris did the same thing?..... same house, same breeder??? hummmmm

• @tanza:

Andrea,
    That is so interesting… as you know, I own Paris with Jeff, I had her here for a week and my old kids hated her... so Jeff and I decided it would be best for her to be with him for a while.... anyway... interesting that you talk about Ariel peeing in her sleep.... Paris did the same thing?..... same house, same breeder??? hummmmm

That IS weird! All the resident dogs seem to like her quite well for now…it just amazes me how she will stand up to them...that can't be a good thing 😉

Blondie totally ignored her at first...literally, like 'if I ignore her she WILL go away'....but then she started to clean her ears a little...and let her NURSE@@ Blondie always has a full blown false preg after heat...milk and all...so 4 mo old Ariel still gets a little milk snack now and then! You couldn't tell now that they aren't natural mom and pup!

• I think my kids were too old for a puppy…. and too bonded... with having a 12, 14 and two 15 1/2yr olds.... just too much for a bratty puppy (she was not bad, just wanted to have someone to play with).... in the end, since Maggii (the oldest) is in renal failure but still hanging in there, I decided the stress of getting Paris pass the puppy stage would not be good for Maggii in the long run... so "we" (Jeff and I) share her... gggg

• @Quercus:

I haven't noticed any huge differences between this Avongara and my domestics, except she has a long waggy tail 🙂 It only curls when she is REALLY alert..and then only slightly over her back. She is very waggy, and very bonded to me, but friendly to everybody else. She doesn't take ANY cr^p from the other dogs....when they reprimand her, she will argue right back Her saddle is fading, but she is still very dark. She is really a joy....very cuddly, and just a little character....oh, and she actually listens better than all of my domestics put together! Well, excluding Blondie "the perfect one".

Funny about the tail. Our half african, Sophie, is just like that. She wags and wags. My dad teases that he is waiting for her to become airborn with how fast she gets it going. She is also very outgoing as long as she has not just gotten out of the car. She still gets a little carsick and doesn't like greeting people when her tummy is still turning summersaults.
    As for the listening, she does that too. My obedience instructor teases that she is a border collie in basenji clothing since she is just too easy to be a basenji.

• Pretty girl-I bet she holds her own with the big ones!

Suggested Topics