• This breeder has 4 litters of Basenjis in addition to other breeds with litters at the same time. I am not sure who can socialize all these puppies. I would be running away from this breeder especially if the Fanconi Syndrome DNA test is not being done! It only costs $65 for the test and it is only a cheek swab test-very easy to do.

Potential puppy buyers-quit buying puppies for a lot of money where the parents are not health tested! Research the breeder and find out where they obtained the sire and dam. Are you not suspicious when on the website under breeds available has 6 breeds with puppies and then on the home page states even more breeds of puppies that they might have available?

Does anyone know the sire(s) and dams of all these litters or the name of the breeder?

Jennifer

• Its red flag to me whenever the web site does not list who the people are and the full registered name of the dogs used for breeding. unfortunately this is just one of many puppy mills in our area. At least they do not sell to the horrible dog auctions we have here.

• @lisastewart:

I have a friend in Indianpolis with two litters of available puppies and he does health test. His pups are cousins to mine. I do not believe Rock Creek does the direct Fanconi test, they are not well thought of in our area.

The breeder Lisa is talking about would be an excellent person to get a puppy from and a great resource (he is also a dog trainer). I know his pups will be well socialized. Please consider it, particularly since he lives right in your area.

• well we have already chosen this Kennel and he does do the testing.

• I would encourage you to get your puppy into a positive reinforecement class ASAP as the temperament can be a serious issue. The more you train your puppy and get it well socialized, the easier time you will have. Contact Bark Ripple In Indianapolis, Brad knows Basenjis and can help you work thru the issues you will have with a new puppy. There are lots of fun events you can do with your puppy. We race and course ours in the Indianapolis area many times a year.

• Ok so i joined this site because I thought it would be encouraging talking with other Basenji owners. So far all that I have learned is that my decision to go to this kennel is not a popular one. Me and my husband have made this decision together and David has been wonderful with all of my questions. I have full faith in his kennel and this is where we have chosen to get our puppy. I dont appreciate being questioned about our decision. I was really hoping to get some insider tips on how to care for our dog but apparently I was wrong. So I will be leaving this site and sticking strong with my decision to purchase from David. I wish you all the best of luck in your opinionated forum but this is just not the place for me. Thanks.

• I'm sorry you feel that way. It's not easy having our own decisions questioned. Good luck with your puppy and think about going to Broad Ripple for classes.

• Im sorry it had to come to this. I feel very passionate about Basenji's and have for many years and now Im finally able to own one. So this is the most exciting part of my life and my excitement has been squashed with the negativity on this site.

• Also sorry that you feel that way, however consider that many of the comments are from people that have been in the breed for a long time and have a passion for the breed, especially for the health of the breed. Many of us find it difficult to think that a Basenji (or really any breed) can be properly socialized as a puppy with there are many other breeds and puppies at the same location. Almost all the breeders here have only one breed, puppies are raised in the house as part of the family, not in a kennel situation. Health testing is public knowledge and people are encourged to check those results out for themselves. Breeders belong to the Parent Basenji club therefore keep up to date on new changes especially to health. Fanconi testing with the direct DNA test is very important as we have seen a number of results change from the linkage test to the direct test. And many here will tell you they would never wish a Fanconi afflicted Basenji on anyone as now there is never a reason to produce one.

Just for kicks I encourage you to look at this link and compare…... http://www.tanzabasenjis.net/selectbreeder.html

• Cow girl bebe…. if you do happen to re-visit here, can you kindly tell us how your puppy is doing? 🙂

Suggested Topics