• @nobarkus:

What kind of drugs is he on?

It's called "Clomicalm", which contains 20mg of Klomipraminhydroklorid. Not sure what it's called in english, but I suspect it's something similar…maybe switch our the Ks with Cs?

• Just a question, but why would you leave Gizmo at home for such a long time when you don't really have to be away..? In my eyes no dog should be alone for that amount (6+ hours.. and I won't leave Tillo 4+ hours alone) of time.. but that's just my opinion of course.. 🙂

• And the black pup looks like an American Akita to me. He still has a lot of growing to do though 😃

• Because I am on my last year of studies, and I naturally aim for getting a job. It would be cruel to just suddenly be away for a full days work without warning. This way he is gradually getting used to me not being home.

I understand not wanting to leave them alone, but I do need to work!

I have spoken to several people with dogs that work a full day (9 hours), and it's not a problem. The dog usually sleep anyways.

• @NerdyDogOwner:

Because I am on my last year of studies, and I naturally aim for getting a job. It would be cruel to just suddenly be away for a full days work without warning.

I have spoken to several people with dogs that work a full day (9 hours), and it's not a problem. The dog usually sleep anyways.

Now I understand you 🙂 And I know people who leave their dog(s) for 9 hours as well.. but that would never be my choice. Tillo couldn't even sleep for 9 hours.. gg.. If I leave he watches tv for 2 hours.. takes a small nap and looks at the birds for another hour. When I'm home again he thinks it's time for a walk. But he's probably spoiled 😉

• @Janneke:

Just a question, but why would you leave Gizmo at home for such a long time when you don't really have to be away..? In my eyes no dog should be alone for that amount (6+ hours.. and I won't leave Tillo 4+ hours alone) of time.. but that's just my opinion of course.. 🙂

From someone who's in the same situation as Gizmo I speak from the point of view of a loving basenji owner who's b does stay alone during the day while I'm at work. When you're single and have to work its just the way things are. When I'm not working Sonny is always with me or he stays at my parents if I have to go somewhere. I think preparing Gizmo for that time when he will have to be alone is a great thing. For the past year while my brother was out of work going through cancer treatment Sonny spent every day while I was at work with my brother. It was wonderful for both of them. A short time ago my brother went back to work & I did the same to prepare Sonny to go back to our normal routine. Sonny does great while I'm at work during the week and he still gets plenty of love & attention. just my 2 cents 🙂

• Ohh, I should have caught on that he was an Akita… I know a Shiba Inu and aren't they basically just mini-akitas? Thanks, though.
    Props for making the effort to get your Gizmo accustomed to being alone, I think that's great/admirable that you're willfully banning yourself from your home for hours at a time just for your puppy!

• @sonnyboy:

From someone who's in the same situation as Gizmo I speak from the point of view of a loving basenji owner who's b does stay alone during the day while I'm at work. When you're single and have to work its just the way things are. When I'm not working Sonny is always with me or he stays at my parents if I have to go somewhere. I think preparing Gizmo for that time when he will have to be alone is a great thing. For the past year while my brother was out of work going through cancer treatment Sonny spent every day while I was at work with my brother. It was wonderful for both of them. A short time ago my brother went back to work & I did the same to prepare Sonny to go back to our normal routine. Sonny does great while I'm at work during the week and he still gets plenty of love & attention. just my 2 cents 🙂

I certainly agree with you that it is a great thing to prepare Gizmo for such a situation 🙂

• @NerdyDogOwner:

Because I am on my last year of studies, and I naturally aim for getting a job. It would be cruel to just suddenly be away for a full days work without warning. This way he is gradually getting used to me not being home.

You are right, I found that all of mine sleep the majority of the day (if we aren't out doing some activity) - even when I'm home. I have to work and mine have 4 full days in crates and then 3 days out. 90% of the time when I get home if I'm really quiet coming in the house I come into the room and they are sleeping in their crates.

I applaud you for sticking with it - separation anxiety is a hard road!

• @Janneke:

Now I understand you 🙂 And I know people who leave their dog(s) for 9 hours as well.. but that would never be my choice. Tillo couldn't even sleep for 9 hours.. gg.. If I leave he watches tv for 2 hours.. takes a small nap and looks at the birds for another hour. When I'm home again he thinks it's time for a walk. But he's probably spoiled 😉

Heh, I should point out I am not crating him when I leave anymore. He is free to wander the apartment while I am gone. I hated the idea of having him in a crate for that long.

And I have found out he loves sitting on the sofa looking out the window…the glass is full of nose and snot prints! 🙂

• Have you found him to be destructive when he's left alone in the apartment? I'm hopefully getting my first basenji next spring, and I'm already grappling with the whole crate/confinement/freedom debate in my head. 🙂

• What I do is walk Buddy at 4:45am for 30 minutes before leaving for work. I have left him for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, outside for 1 year now. He has a dog house in the garage and access to the yard. Then when I get home it's a 1 hour walk and spend time with him in the evening. He does fine.

• @Mango:

Have you found him to be destructive when he's left alone in the apartment? I'm hopefully getting my first basenji next spring, and I'm already grappling with the whole crate/confinement/freedom debate in my head. 🙂

Definitely crate until he/she is old enough to be alone and not go potty, and has an understanding for what is a chewtoy and what isn't.

I only stopped crating when he was 100% fine with being in his crate.

Don't underestimate the power and usefulness of crate training. It's important they are used to being in one. What if they have to stay overnight at a vet? Or if you are going to travel with your dog? Plane, car, etc..

Aslo if you have guests, and they are not comfortable with dogs, or have small children, it's good to have them in a crate.

• Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Thanks. 🙂

• Sure thing, actually a good example of the usefulness of a crate is with Gizmo and his cut paw. To prevent him from walking on it, I put him in his crate. Where he is now snoring away!

And on that note, it's time for me to do some snoring of my own!

• Hey Nerdy! Glad to have you back. Giz certainly has grown. What a handsome young man he is.

Congratulations on almost being done with school.

Looking forward to those adorable Giz videos (although I've checked occasionally @ youtube. BTW, loved the big, clunking bone!)

Dawn

• @Janneke:

Yes…he is 🙂 but in a good way 🙂

• Tillo is spoiled and he is also an 'athlete', used to lots of great exercise.

Gizmo has matured wonderfully, I agree with the comments about his nice head and ears! Nice to have you beck!

• Houston

Welcome back Gizmo…so nice to have the two of you back..I sure missed seeing and hearing from you..
    Wow..has he grown or what, and into a handsome young man as well..
    Great pictures and yes, his ears are perfectly small and perky..love'em.

• Glad to see you're back and Gizmo too. My, he has grown.

Suggested Topics