I need help naming my new basenji pup!!

• Check with local breed clubs too … I am taking my gals to a Britney Spaniel breeder's house in Jan.. she has clinic once a year and it is as cheap as at the dog shows. πŸ™‚

• @dcmclcm4:

If you do not have an vet opthalmologist in your city or within driving distance, sometimes a CERF eye clinic will held at a show. The eye exam is similar to a human's as the vet will dilate the eyes.

Ill have to do that. thank you for the info

@DebraDownSouth:

Check with local breed clubs too … I am taking my gals to a Britney Spaniel breeder's house in Jan.. she has clinic once a year and it is as cheap as at the dog shows. πŸ™‚

o really? ill have to look into that to. I think there is a show about an hour from here the end of october. so maybe ill have both my girls tested. πŸ™‚

• Dr. Tracy Leonard, a B breeder and vet holds a CERF eye and tatoo clinic every year at her office and it is held on a Saturday, usually in January. This is in Dayton, OH. The closest vet opthalmologists are in Columbus and Cincinnati.

I would also check with your vet and see who he/she refers to when it comes to eye problems.

There is a calendar of clinics, not just eye, on the ofa website at www.offa.org under Upcoming Health Clinics. This is the same website where one checks for Fanconi and other health test results. I doubt all clinics are posted there though.

Jennifer

• Thank you for this information. ill have to look into it. πŸ™‚ Appreciate the help

• @misspodhradsky:

o really? ill have to look into that to. I think there is a show about an hour from here the end of october. so maybe ill have both my girls tested. πŸ™‚

Another thing to keep in mind that for the clinics at shows and breed club clinics, you usually have to have a reservation (with paperwork & money) done well in advance - otherwise you won't get a space.

For instance…I just had my 4 basenjis done at a CERF clinic at a Golden Retriever breeder's house. I made my reservation (and sent my check @ $40ea - $160) 1.5 months in advance of the clinic.

Also, I don't know...if your dog ISN'T AKC registered if you can bring your dog to a clinic at an AKC show. Usually only AKC registered dogs are allowed at AKC shows...

• thank you for the tips. Missy is NOT AKCso maybe ill have to make a special thing for her. Im not sure where to go but ill try and figure something out. My other girl is AKC so ill have to get her checked. Im going to try to make reservations for her for this coming show. Does anyone know what age you can get the eyes checked?

• Any time after about 8 weeks old.

• @renaultf1:

Also, I don't know…if your dog ISN'T AKC registered if you can bring your dog to a clinic at an AKC show. Usually only AKC registered dogs are allowed at AKC shows...

Huh? Gosh been to many dog shows, not once did they ask me to show my dog's AKC papers. Even when I took dogs that were not SHOWING. The only time I have ever heard of restrictions is at benched shows, which are few and far between.

• Ok perfect. and ok thank you debra. ill just try to take her anyways and see if i cant get it done. if not then i suppose ill just look around for a different place for her πŸ™‚

• Call them to ask and register. πŸ™‚

• @DebraDownSouth:

Call them to ask and register. πŸ™‚

Ill look that up now and see if i cant get ahold of them πŸ™‚ Thank you so much for the help:)

• didnt mean to post twice

• I did take a non AKC registered dog to an AKC show to get an eye exam done several years ago. He got along with other dogs and was up-to-date on vaccines. All I did was walk him from the car to the exam area and back again. This was at the Muncie Kennel Club show where the Hoosier Basenji Club Specialty is held.

Jennifer

• thank you. i will do that πŸ™‚

Is anyone going to the South Dakota dog Show? put on by Sioux Empire Kennel Club in Sioux falls, SD? Its October 29-31! Just curious!

• i'm not. i really wanted to go a few years ago and see mt rushmore, but no one else entered that year. and now that Z is finished there is no reason to go.

looks like there are no basenjis entered this year.

http://www.onofrio.com/execpgm/index?index=JP

• Oh that is too bad. But at least Z finished πŸ™‚ thats something to be proud of.

DANG IT! there are NEVER Basenjis here 😞 I really wanted to g to meet some Basenji owners and showers and handlers so i could get some pointers and just talk with them. That is a bummer.

I have a question. Can you enter a dog show if your dog is the only breed of dog in its class?

• @misspodhradsky:

Oh that is too bad. But at least Z finished πŸ™‚ thats something to be proud of.

DANG IT! there are NEVER Basenjis here 😞 I really wanted to g to meet some Basenji owners and showers and handlers so i could get some pointers and just talk with them. That is a bummer.

I have a question. Can you enter a dog show if your dog is the only breed of dog in its class?

Yes you can. You would enter the dog/bitch in the appropriate class and if the judge awards your dog winners and best of breed you would then go on to the group classes. AKC site has lots of information for beginners and dog showing

• @misspodhradsky:

absolutely. and there may be reasons to do so. however, in my case when I entered the SD shows, I needed points and could not justify the cost of travel (gas/hotel) for 0 points. If i lived there, i might would go anyway just for ring experience.

• Thank you Tanza. I was very curious. ill have to check out AKC.

Thank you AgileBasenji. Yes i do live here so it would just be for fun and for some experience. I dont blame you on the points tho because it would be alot of money to not get anything out of it.

Suggested Topics