• Cole - has a black and white dam and a tri dad. Based on his mom's litters we believe she is KkYY which makes him KkYy. He has to carry tri since his dad is tri.

TC - has a black and white sire and red and white dam. Based on pedigree and breedings, we believe she is KkYY.

attachment_p_120410_0_stackedcole.jpg
    attachment_p_120410_1_tcstand.jpg

• O ok this makes sense. Is there a way you could help me determine what my girl is? Ill link the colors of the parents and maybe you can help me determine what she is.

http://prairielandbasenjis.webs.com/colorinheritance.htm

I put the link on my website. With a couple questions for you on there. Once i figure everthing out i wont be having it on there anymore. If you could try to determine what she is i would greatly appreciate it! But also if you could remember how you did it and explain it to me so i can understand. Thank you!

• @lvoss:

Cole - has a black and white dam and a tri dad. Based on his mom's litters we believe she is KkYY which makes him KkYy. He has to carry tri since his dad is tri.

TC - has a black and white sire and red and white dam. Based on pedigree and breedings, we believe she is KkYY.

What did this breeding result in with a litter, Color wise? and if cole had been a kkYy (red male) what would/could they have produced then?

• @misspodhradsky:

O ok this makes sense. Is there a way you could help me determine what my girl is? Ill link the colors of the parents and maybe you can help me determine what she is.

http://prairielandbasenjis.webs.com/colorinheritance.htm

I put the link on my website. With a couple questions for you on there. Once i figure everthing out i wont be having it on there anymore. If you could try to determine what she is i would greatly appreciate it! But also if you could remember how you did it and explain it to me so i can understand. Thank you!

Well since she is red she is definately kk and has at least one Y. There is about a 50% chance that she is a tri carrier. So she is either kkYy or kkYY

• @misspodhradsky:

What did this breeding result in with a litter, Color wise? and if cole had been a kkYy (red male) what would/could they have produced then?

This resulted in 3 black and whites and 1 red and white. Statistically bred a tri factored red she should produce 50% reds and 50% blacks. Her first litter was sired by a tri factored red and she had 2 reds and 3 blacks.

• ok awesome! I did it right! That is what I was thinking. but i wasnt sure which one. so in theory, i wouldnt know unless i bred her then…with a tri factored male...because breeding to a tri wouldnt prove anything...would it?

Ok well thank you. I was really curious. Now i DO know how to do gentics! Thanks to you and the help of a few other people. I appreciate it

• Breeding to a tri would give better odds of producing tris if she is tri factored, 50% reds, 50% tris. A tri factored red would only give 25% chance of tris

• oh. for some reason I thought …hmm that makes alot more sense. lol ya idk why but i thought if you bred to a tri it would only mean that the tri is the one giving the genes, not the tri factored so i thought you wouldnt be able to tell. but you putting it like that makes alot more sense 🙂 I understand now thank you

• Ya know, reading coat color genetics has always made me happy my first breed is Rottweilers.:)

Yes, I understand coat color genetic basics, but it makes my head hurt.

• A long time I was gone
    Developed inheritance of color in the basenji.
    http://www.basenji.warmia.pl/index.php?sub=kolory
    Have fun

Suggested Topics