• AT RISK does NOT mean Carrier it means AFFECTED. Your puppy is therefore a Carrier. You and the breeder are VERY lucky, since they didn't test until after the breeding, that the sire is Clear otherwise there could have been Affected in the litter.

If you are in contact with them, please urge them to immediately start strip testing their girl as she may begin spilling sugar sooner than later since whelping taxes the body.

• Do you have Jubilee's parents' names? She is not in Sally's database so I cannot see her pedigree.

Thank you.

• I thought AT RISK, meant at risk of developing Fanconi, not ,"already having" Fanconi. I will let them know that they should test to make sure. If I were to breed Ayo it has to be with Dam that tests clear. I am sending her pedigree up to her great grand parents, the same I sent to Sally.

• I cant send the word file because it is 33k . Her parents names are Sire- Linders Sahara Sound Machine H03-ZA-DG-33838T and DAm -Linders PLaytime Patsy C02-AZ-DG-35847T . If you can give me your email I will gladly send you the rest.
    Thanks

• @dmey:

I thought AT RISK, meant at risk of developing Fanconi, not ,"already having" Fanconi. I will let them know that they should test to make sure. If I were to breed Ayo it has to be with Dam that tests clear. I am sending her pedigree up to her great grand parents, the same I sent to Sally.

It means that she has genes for it but she may not yet be symptomatic. If the owners are not strip testing regularly she could be fairly far progressed in the disease before they notice what is usually the first outward symptom, increased thirst and urination. It is much better for the dog if onset of symptoms is caught early, such as when they first start spilling sugar, usually intermittently.

• Does having the genes for it mean she will definetly be symptomatic at some point or that she may become symptomatic or she may not?

• Though there is a small chance she may not become symptomatic, many dogs who have tested Probably Affected have become symptomatic. I only know of 3 dogs who are over the age of 10 years, tested Probably Affected and are not symptomatic.

• I Just wanted to say thanks for all thehelp on this subejct. I sent all his info, pedigree and his parents pedigree to the AKC and they have sent me the application for registration. They said they checked and he is eligible for registration with the AKC. I am now filling out the application in order to send it! Thanks .

• Lisa Linder used to be a breeder of Basenjis and it is my understanding that she got out of the breed. She is USDA licensed and lives in Mt. Vernon, MO. She also uses the kennel name Mi Rosa although I do not believe she did for Basenjis.

• dmey, I just wanted to pop in and say how much I respect you for being so very tolerant and understanding throughout this thread. 🙂

Thank you for taking all the posts to heart as people trying to help, not criticize, nor judge you or your beloved dog.

Congratulations on your AKC registration. I hope you will also send Sally all your info so she can include your pup in the ultimate 😃 Basenji database:
    http://www.pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com/

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you at the forums.

• We are all so very happy that you found this site, and know now, what you need to re your basenji.

Suggested Topics