Understanding "Registration"

• She is thin and bony, and she does have intestinal issues (is that IBD/EPI?)… her last momma did a lot of experiments to find a food that she can digest without diarrhea, so she's on a diet of Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance. So far, so good.

It's funny to watch her eat, because she will chomp her meal within SECONDS if you let her! I've been hand feeding her to slow her down, but I got a "Busy Buddy" to put her food in, which she has to bat around for the food to fall out of, so we'll see if she likes it.
    I still don't understand how you know there's Fanconi in her pedigree? Can you point me to the database you are looking at? 🙂

• It depends on the symptoms what GI issue she may have. Did her former owner have a TLI test done to find out if it was EPI which can be treated with enzymes added to her food so she extract nutrients? The symptoms of IBD and EPI can be very similar.

• Patty M, most of the puppymillers don't test for fanconi and it does show up.
    Sometimes they don't even do the right paperwork for who the sire/dam are re parents.
    So, do get the fanconi testing done.
    Also, have you done a fecal for worms and other critters she might have? Not trying to scare you just help.

• Many of us that have been breeding for many years, before the Fanconi DNA test know pedigrees that had or produced Fanconi. Hers is one. If you look at the pedigree and then at the offspring, etc… you will see a couple that have been tested and noted as Affected. Also, note that since the DNA test have only been available since July 2007, many people that have/had affected Fanconi dogs didn't bother to test since they knew their status. And the fact that nothing in her pedigree has been tested puts her a risk unless you test. Again for 65.00 it is well worth the cost to know her status.

And the best way to find out what is going on with her digestive system is to have your Vet run tests... particularly for EPI and IBD. Just relying on trying different foods is not going to find the cause of the problems. And I agree, 12lbs is very small for an adult Basenji. My pups are 4 months and 4 1/2 months and are of around 15lbs each. Also typically a dog with EPI will eat, eat and eat more... problem is they never can digest the food, it just runs right though them. Is her stool like cow patties?... how often does she go? Most with EPI will go 5 to 7 times a day...

• All I can say is DAMN PUPPY MILL PEOPLE. This angers me to no end.

• Hi Patty, Congratulations on Halo, a nice angelic name, haha.
    I can't give you any info on registrations numbers but I'm sure others can. I'm so glad that Halo worked out for you, would love to meet her someday!
    Anne

• Thanks, Anne! My son started saying, "Hey! Lola", kind of like, "Hey there Delilah", so we are calling her both Halo and Lola. She is adjusting well to Florida living, chasing the lizards and startled by the frogs.

Pat, as long as she stays on this food, her stools are normal. She gets into trouble when she finds fun things like Joker's food (Iams), then she gets diarrhea… quickly too, I might add.

One odd trait, is that she doesn't talk or bark at all... I haven't heard her voice, although my sister said that she whined once when she was left alone... She is alert, and loves to play with her mouth, but makes no roo's or noises when she plays with Joker...

And Fran, I hear you loud and clear! I wish responsible basenji breeders would think twice before letting their babies fall into the hands of these monsters.

• @Patty:

Thanks, Anne! My son started saying, "Hey! Lola", kind of like, "Hey there Delilah", so we are calling her both Halo and Lola. She is adjusting well to Florida living, chasing the lizards and startled by the frogs.

Pat, as long as she stays on this food, her stools are normal. She gets into trouble when she finds fun things like Joker's food (Iams), then she gets diarrhea… quickly too, I might add.

One odd trait, is that she doesn't talk or bark at all... I haven't heard her voice, although my sister said that she whined once when she was left alone... She is alert, and loves to play with her mouth, but makes no roo's or noises when she plays with Joker...

And Fran, I hear you loud and clear! I wish responsible basenji breeders would think twice before letting their babies fall into the hands of these monsters.

Patty…a lot of Basenjis rarely make any noise at all. Our Ivy is virtually silent unless she REALLY has to go potty, then just a tiny whine. Oh, and when she snarks at Querk....but overall, we have a pretty quiet bunch.

• Glad to hear that you do have a food that keeps her pretty normal. No surprise that IAMS doesn't agree with her, since it has corn and other fillers, many times that will not agree with lots of different breeds (or mixes) of dogs.

And agree… not an odd trait.. you will find many are just very quiet.. my OJ never in his entire life yodeled (and that was 17+yrs)

Again, I urge you to do the Fanconi DNA test.

• I will do the Fanconi test, for my own peace of mind. When my Lucy died, it was so unexpected that I wonder if she had it; I got her from a young gal that bred her two basenjis, so I never knew her pedigree.

I was surprised to see the AKC Registration numbers for both of Halo's parents, knowing that she came from a mill, and I went on AKCs web site to validate that the number is valid. I am also impressed that the basenji website even had little Halo recognized as a dog…. how did she do that? 🙂

Suggested Topics