• Hello out there! My name is Josh and I have a 12-week old brindle Basenji girl named Kaya who was born in Oklahoma. The pictures were taken at about 9 weeks or so. It has been a trying experience so far as my little girl has a very big "mouthing" problem - I have already done extensive research around the web and am looking forward to posting up in the behavioral section for further suggestions; for now I am just trying to not to show my frustration. Other than that, I am very much looking forward to taking my little monster (said with complete affection) to puppy classes this upcoming week. Kaya and I are excited about joining this forum!
    attachment_t_8609_0_kaya-1.jpg
    attachment_t_8609_1_kaya-2.jpg

• Welcome to the forum Josh and Kaya! You came to the right place for advice!

• Have you talked to the breeder about your problems? Usually it is best to turn to the Breeder for behavior problems and especially to see if this is a common problem with the litter. How old was she when you brought her home? My puppies do not leave their littermates until at least 10wks. It is during the 6 to 10 wk period that play with their littermates teaches puppies to have a soft mouth, usually.. or playing with adults, as they are quick with the corrections. There are lots of posts on the Forum about mouthy puppies and ways to curb…

What are the situations when the puppy becomes mouthy? What are you/she doing? During play? Getting too excited... getting over tired..?

And as another note, where the parents of that pup DNA tested for Fanconi?

• Welcome to the forum Josh and Kaya. You will find lots of fun and support on here.
    We have a mouthy 11 week old pup. We dont allow her to bite us or our clothing but we do have to remind her constantly not to. I try to offer her an exciting toy instead. It's a fun but difficult time.

• Welcome Josh and Kaya. Kaya looks like a very cute young lady. You'll find lots of good, honest information on here.

• Thanks for the warm welcome! I received Kaya when she was 8 weeks. She is usually mouthy during all play; I usually cannot pet her unless she is preoccupied with a toy (which I try to supply a lot of). I've tried the yelping, walking away, gently putting my finger underneath her tongue, water bottle spay…. pretty much every little trick (except hitting/yelling of course). I'm now working more on the positive reinforcement for stopping or being gentle. She shouldn't be too tired as I have a pretty good crate training schedule. I am hoping that this puppy class will help a little with the bite inhibition with the other pups. I will also contact the breeder (thanks tanza) this week and ask some questions. Thanks again for everything!!

• @Phoenix44:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I received Kaya when she was 8 weeks. She is usually mouthy during all play; I usually cannot pet her unless she is preoccupied with a toy (which I try to supply a lot of). I've tried the yelping, walking away, gently putting my finger underneath her tongue, water bottle spay…. pretty much every little trick (except hitting/yelling of course). I'm now working more on the positive reinforcement for stopping or being gentle. She shouldn't be too tired as I have a pretty good crate training schedule. I am hoping that this puppy class will help a little with the bite inhibition with the other pups. I will also contact the breeder (thanks tanza) this week and ask some questions. Thanks again for everything!!

In puppy class, they really don't get that much time for interacting for learning bite inhibition. I would maybe guess she was removed from the litter to young to have learned this from her littermates or any other adults, like her Mom. It take time and lots of patience to teach "soft bite".. or no mouthing… and also a tired Basenji is a good Basenji. How much time is she spending in a crate? There are lots of threads on this Forum about puppies and play biting.

You didn't comment about Fanconi testing? Were the Sire and Dam of your puppy tested?

Suggested Topics