Wild pack of basenjis in rural Florida

• There are many village dogs who are a bit larger than b's and have an upright alto not curledtail…they are in many areas, and are not basenjis...
    So, we might be talking of another type of dog here.

• I have a friend that was just over in Africa for a few months. It was funny because she saw Kananga the other week and mentioned she had seen a bunch of them where she was in Africa, yet they were obviously much more skinny compared to Kananga (who is ideal in weight, just not skin and bones).

Must be quite interesting to see them in the wild. They are stealthy enough as our pets, cannot imagine the mischief that they get into in the wild. 😃

• Pam Hamilton has been visiting the Hillsborough Animal Control Services
    (HCAS) as often as possible. These dogs cannot be released to rescue until
    legal issues are resolved. It may take up to two months. We appreciate all
    offers of help.

Many of you have sent messages to Pam volunteering to help with the
    socialization of this group at HCAS. She is working with the staff on
    procedures so volunteers can start visiting the dogs. Animal Services
    recognizes the need for these dogs to have extra handling and socializing
    that is beyond the capacity of the available staff.

Due to the unexpected volume of responses and her frequent trips to HCAS,
    Pam has been unable to respond to all who want to help. She will get back
    with you as soon as she can. Those who have not contacted Pam and wish to
    volunteer should send her an email with the subject "Hillsborough Basenji
    Socialization" to help her to organize responses. Her address is
    flbasenji@earthlink.net .

Thank you for your concern and interest in these basenjis.

Debbi Johnson
    BRAT Treasurer & Director
    Germantown, TN
    debbijbasenjirescue@comcast.net

• just bumping this thread for cahootz

• Here is the latest on the Florida basenjis from Pam in Florida!

SPCA: Confiscated basenjis held at the SPCA are still restricted to
    certain personnel. They will keep a mom and pups in an office with an
    approved individual, so they are getting some socialization.

HCAS: Confiscated basenjis have been moved to the investigation
    kennel, so they are no longer open to the public. They are doing
    reasonably well, but some have dropped a bit of weight. The barking
    environment is tough on some basenjis. An investigation walker
    (volunteer) has been getting them used to her presence. While I do
    check them all, I have worked with several a bit more closely over the
    past couple of weeks. I have been amazed at how quickly some are
    turning into "domesticated" basenjis. We are ramping up the
    socialization process now. Hopefully, we can get them to be more
    content in their current quarters so that they will eat a bit more. A big
    thanks to all who volunteered to help with the socialization project which
    started today!

If you haven't received a response to your offer to help with
    socialization, please resend your offer. If you would like to help but
    have not yet replied to my request for more information, please do so
    at your earliest convenience.

Thanks for your continued support,
    Pam Hamilton
    FL District Coordinator
    Advisory Director
    Basenji Rescue and Transport

• Pam has been working with them, and 6 of us went Saturday for volunteer orientation and worked with the dogs a bit. Though very shy, they are not aggressive and a few of them are really "coming out" and come up to the gate and take food from us. Others still cower as far away as they can get. The shelter has a very small fenced grassy "park" where the dogs in the Investigation building get taken by volunteer walkers for a few minutes out of their cages. That is where the basenji pups play and chase like "normal" basenjis. Pam is doing a great job! These dogs will take a lot of patience and TLC, but I think they have "pet potential".

• Oh, Yea!! thanks for the update.
    I having been thinking of these dogs ever sense they have been written up.

• The court date is the 11th, fingers crossed the county assumes ownership of these guys. Animal Control knows these basenjis are way more than they can handle so are happy to work with BRAT. They are being very generous in allowing us to work with the dogs as they are "Investigation" dogs, usually only their long term volunteers and employees work with dogs in legal disputes. Again, it shows their sensitivity to the special needs of these feral basenjis.

• I hope all the dogs from this place are spayed and neutered, it is a health concern due the the inbreeding…and to prevent their genes into the Basenji pool.

• Houston

NerdyDogOwner, regardless of these dogs futures, they most certainly( I sure hope) will be spayed/neuterd before they leave these shelter locations, or once they are moved into foster homes( not adoptive homes)

• Any time a shelter gets an animal it is almost inevitable it will be altered before placement…unless it is too young, in which case a contract is made that the animal will be altered.

Regarding their entry into the gene pool: I'm not sure exactly how "inbred" they are. They all look fairly healthy and don't exhibit signs of generational inbreeding. However, their heritage cannot be fully verified. Since this is the case, I don't think they are eligible for entry into the stud book.

Ms. Tanza or Ms. Khanis can answer this better than I can, but from what I'm seeing, only native stock imported from Africa or those animals whose parentage can be verified are allowed entry into the stud book.

• Animal shelter getting calls to adopt basenjis
    February 2, 2010

< http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/feb/02/animal-services-seeking-custody-basenjis/

• That reporter called and interviewed my husband on the phone, within 30 minutes that article appeared on-line! Don had called the reporter the day the first article appeared and they talked a bit then. Guess he kept our phone number. He got a bit of what Don told him right, such is the media! Don kept telling him to call Pam for more information. As far as I know, none are actually out in foster care. The moms and tiny pups are in isolation, but still there at Animal Control.

• Thank you for the correction.

• I didn't mean any correction, people probably have been calling to adopt! We let Pam do all the direct communication with the shelter. The article had originally said that some of the basenjis were already placed in foster care, not that I know of.

• MacPack-
    I thought the article was nice, but, uhm, I gotta say, Zest will bring me my slippers if she knows where they are and if there's is a cookie involved. So, well, there's that.

• Nicky might bring my shoes, but there will be a chunk gone when she gets here! Don read it and said, well, the guy quoted a little of what he said correctly.
    We're going back Saturday morning, wish I was retired and could spend every morning out there!

• Sorry, guess I was not supposed to have written anything about the shelter dogs, no one ever told any of us not to share any info. Sorry. The very last thing anyone would want is to compromise this case in any way.

• MacPack, I appreciate the inforamtion, the correct informtion. Who said you shouldn't share it with us?

• Ms. Sharron, when there is a criminal investigation in progress, the less information released to the public, the better. It's amazing how a tiny bit of information can compromise an entire investigation.

A fine example of this was when the US was tracking Osama Bin Laden and information was released to the press that cel phone usage was being tracked. Until that point, Intelligence had a pretty good idea where he was. After this tidbit was printed and spouted all over the nightly news, Bin Laden changed his communication tactic and went further underground. We haven't found him yet.

I'm not bringing this up to open a can of worms or start a political discussion. I am only illustrating how releasing the smallest detail can hinder law enforcement and military operations.

I, too, appreciate the update, but can understand why the authorities want to keep any information close to the vest.

Suggested Topics