Wild Fire! at Medfly S.Caif Basenji Rescue, Karen Jones

• Hi Rita Jean, Karen said to thank you for your wonderful offers. For now, the fires are diverted away from their ranch, so their need for emergency funds are on hold for now. Your prayers were so helpful. Maxter

• Thanks Maxie for the update!

• I sent a check yesterday & had a thought, which Karen confirmed–who knows when they will be able to get to their P.O. Box.

• Chuck said even going to the store they got stopped on the road but were let through.

• I've been so worried about Karen and Chuck and their kidlets. I don't know if folks realize how many basenjis and basenji mixes those two unbelievable people care for. They have two rather large (very nice) shelter buildings w/ runs that they designed/built on their property for basenji rescue. I got my Tyler and Zoey from them a couple of years ago. I really, really hope they don't have to evacuate and that the fire never reaches them. For those who have donated, believe me–the money can always go to excellent use (and they are a registered non profit--so it is all tax deductable). Caren, Tyler, and Zoey

• @MaxBooBooBear:

I've been so worried about Karen and Chuck and their kidlets. I don't know if folks realize how many basenjis and basenji mixes those two unbelievable people care for. They have two rather large (very nice) shelter buildings w/ runs that they designed/built on their property for basenji rescue. I got my Tyler and Zoey from them a couple of years ago. I really, really hope they don't have to evacuate and that the fire never reaches them. For those who have donated, believe me–the money can always go to excellent use (and they are a registered non profit--so it is all tax deductable). Caren, Tyler, and Zoey

Hello and thank you!
    Yes, you are right, donations are so helpful, even though Karen's still waiting things out at the ranch. We are also sending money! God knows they could use it! Evacuation preparedness costs money. And costly were the measures they took to keep the Basenjis and the ranch safe.

Fires are still spreading, and have been so close, but the big planes are making them less ferocious. Today, Karen called to say that they now have the Legget Canyon fire under control, which was one of the most immediate threats to their ranch.

And yes, I remember Zoey. Karen gave us Victoria at that time.
    Zoey was darling.
    Thanks for all your help! Leigh (Maxie)

• You have Victoria! We have Ginadari, who we call Gina. I think they came in at the same time too, along with Gina's brother, Ziggy. Even though I had known Karen since she brought my Mother-in-law a Basenji 20 years ago, I had never seen her ranch until then. It's amazing & so are Karen & Chuck. The thought of it burning was a nightmare. I was so relieved when she answered the phone, I teared up.

• My heart goes out to all those B souls. Keep us posted on what you need.

• The address is: Basenji Rescue
    P.O. Box 93
    Acton, California 93510
    I make checks to Basenji Rescue–

• @JudyStuart:

You have Victoria! We have Ginadari, who we call Gina. I think they came in at the same time too, along with Gina's brother, Ziggy.

Hi Judy, Yes, I have Gina's sister. You and I spoke on the phone.

Here's the Fire Service Report: Sept 2: Unpredictable. Only 28% contained. Evacuations-fire conditions change constantly. Fire very active today. Extreme fire behavior observed when winds and slopes were in alignment. Est containment date moved from sept 6 to sept 15. Acres burned: 140,150. Lightening-thunder storms predicted for Sept 3. Mandatory evacuations: Acton/AguaDulce areas, Tahunga Canyon, Big Tahunga Canyon, Mt. Wilson, Angeles National Forest and more.

Karen and Chuck are still holding out at the ranch. That could change. I'm sure thoughts of leaving the ranch unattended is heart breaking and evacuating so many Basenji's overwhelming. Post Office is still standing, so I sent funds today, in hopes it doesn't burn down.

Thanks to all of you! Maxie (aka Leigh)

Suggested Topics