• @AJs:

Love that pic of Buddy…he looks so comfy

It was funny because he was snoring too. Must of been that long hike we took up in the hills. 😃

• @nobarkus:

It was funny because he was snoring too. Must of been that long hike we took up in the hills. 😃

OMG, looks like our Lana. And Lana can DEFINITELY snore! Between her and my boxer, they sound like an engine!

• @Rita:

IMO if AJ was in a crate and there was accident it could cost AJ his life. I like the fact that AJ has a great life and can sit or lay were he likes.

Rita Jean

??? Why would you say that?… it is highly recommended that a crate be used when traveling with dogs.... or at least a doggy seat belt.

• Pat You will not like my answer but you ask so here it is. People that drive four wheelers need to crate or seat belt there animals they do not know how to drive. Four wheelers think they own the road and can do what ever. IMO AJ is 1,000 times safer in the tractor then in a four wheeler. When I was on road I had two dogs with me and I never would have put them in a crate ever. This is just me.

Rita Jean

• Does USA have an actual law enforcing people to crate/buckle their animals when in the a vehicle is there?

• No laws, yet, about restraining animals. It would be state-by-state laws if it was to become an issue. Where I live, the law would not be enforced if there was one.

I don't crate or restrain my dogs when we travel. One has the passenger seat and the other stands up with his front feet on the console leaning against me.
    They switch places or go in the back and sleep on blankets, comforters, and their pillows. Life is too rich to be worrying all the time about "what ifs."

• I learnt that there's laws in Finland against crating dogs.

• I love that basenji smile!

• Gotta say I agree with Vicki, life's too short to worry about "what if's". Just look at the face of the next dog you see hanging his/her head out the window of a moving vehicle. They always look so-o-o happy! My previous boy absolutely hated to get wet - period, unless we were in the car. Stuck his head out the window every time regardless of the weather. Had a regular vet appointment once during a "time to start building the ark" kinda downpour….showed up at the vet with a completely soaked head and completely dry body:).

• @BART:

Gotta say I agree with Vicki, life's too short to worry about "what if's". Just look at the face of the next dog you see hanging his/her head out the window of a moving vehicle. They always look so-o-o happy! My previous boy absolutely hated to get wet - period, unless we were in the car. Stuck his head out the window every time regardless of the weather. Had a regular vet appointment once during a "time to start building the ark" kinda downpour….showed up at the vet with a completely soaked head and completely dry body:).

When you have seen an animal thrown though a window because the driver had to stop fast or was hit by another car, when you read stories like the woman in San Jose who had her pup riding on her lap, was in traffic and got into an altercation with another drive that turned to road rage and had the dog yanked from her lap and thrown into oncoming traffice and killed, or had a pet get thrown from a vehicle because the doors opened in an accident and runs off…. then many might think twice about restraining... And as far as windows go, ask your Vet about eye problems from dogs hanging their heads out windows...

Regardless if a car or semi... RV or SUV... pets should be restained when moving... there are a number of different kinds, my preference is a crate (which by the way is secured as not to roll around if an accident did happen)...

As they say to each their own...

• A picture speaks a thousand words.

http://www.newworldbasenjis.net/kennelaire.htm

• Ivoss you may a point with a four wheeler but I all ready said that. In a tractor IMO no, no to kennel, crate what ever.

Rita Jean

• Gaw-LEE! I had no idea my photo of a happy dog sunning himself on his new blanket in his own home was going to create such a heated discussion. We all have our opinions.

But, since we're on the discussion anyway, how many times do we see people in RV's crating their dogs for long trips? I've never seen it.

• I see it all the time. Maybe Pat has a picture of what her RV when she had it looked like. Crates for all the dogs well secured.

• @AJs:

<snip>

But, since we're on the discussion anyway, how many times do we see people in RV's crating their dogs for long trips? I've never seen it.</snip>

Wanda from Adventureland has a story about this on her website.

http://www.adventurelandbasenjis.com/CRASH-webview.pdf

This, along with Karla's story, and 2 other stories

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2009/08/27/restrained-dog-survives-fatal-car-crash/

and

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/28/assignment_america/main5347232.shtml

were the ones that convinced me that my dogs need to be restrained in the car. The zip line gives them enough space to move around that they are not upset and crying.
    I don't have enough room in my little Scion XA for crates.

-Nicole

• I think it turned into a good discussion myself. It's good to cover these things and we can all put our 2 cents in. That's what what a forum is for… discussion and communication.

• Communication yes restrained in cars (four wheelers) maybe Nicole but not in Tractors or RV'S IMO. Was that more than my 2 cents Dan?

Rita Jean

• @Rita:

Communication yes restrained in cars (four wheelers) maybe Nicole but not in Tractors or RV'S IMO. Was that more than my 2 cents Dan?

Rita Jean

You put in 3 cents Rita Jean, I owe you a penny.

• Dan you can keep the penny I now have credit on the forum.

Rita Jean

• Ok, I will go a little deeper into a previous comment. When I am under a load, there is a set time limit in which I have to drive from point A to point B. When I stop for the night, I am often tired enough to attend AJ's needs and my necessities, catch up here and then go to bed.

My truck is made up of the cab area, which is the two seats and a little 8 inch space behind them. The sleeper area is made up of two full height, bolted in cabinets and then a twin sized bed. This is an "open floor" which means there is no wall between the cab and the sleeper. It is walk-through. AJ has a crate, but it stays folded up, inside its box behind the passenger seat unless I need to put him in it. I use it for times the truck is in the shop or in a rare motel room. He crates up easily, but doesn't like it.

He would have to spend 75% of his life inside the crate if I put him in there while I drive. The crate would have to be in the bed area, which means he wouldn't be able to sun himself when he wants to. When I stop at night, I would have to fold the durn thing up and stuff it back into its box before going to bed because there isn't enough space to store an upright crate.

The only benefit (in some opinions) would be him inside a crate. To me, that's not a benefit. He's not livestock. He's my friend. He has a very comfortable bed at the foot of mine where he spends a large part of his time.

My truck and trailer, fully loaded, weighs between 75,000 and 80,000 pounds on an average load. If I get into an accident with that kind of weight, the truck would most likely flip because it is extrememly top heavy due to it's 13'6" height. When a truck flips, there are rarely survivors inside the truck. It's a risk of doing this job.

Since I'm almost always found tooling down the road at around 62mph, I am usually in the granny lane and everybody passes me. The benefit here is less stress to me and better safety for my truck since I am not changing lanes and speeding everywhere.

Again, I weighed carefully the benefit of confining AJ vs. the risk of allowing him loose. He's almost always in the back snoozing on his bed, where there is a rear bulkhead behind him and a bolted in cabinet in front of him, if I hit the brakes, he won't go anywhere. He'll just stand up, shake and give me a dirty look. Sometimes, he's on the passenger seat, where he can't fall on the floor because I have that area built up for him.

Please don't lecture me about how safe it is for a dog to be loose in a semi unless you have driven a truck or are familiar with the construct, operation and physics of a tractor-trailer combination.

I apologize if I've stepped on any toes or offended anyone. That was not my intent.

Suggested Topics