• GPS for trucks runs about $500-$800 depending on the model. They are only as up-to-date as the software, they aren't always accurate, as stated before and people become so reliant on them they forget where they are going if the GPS malfunctions. Sometimes, the routing given by the GPS isn't necessarily the best routing. I know shortcuts the GPS doesn't. They are a very handy aid for those who choose to use them, but I want people who learn from me to know their way around at least a little in addition to being able to use good ol' Rand McNally (the publisher of the truck atlas.) I have a very well-worn one right next to my seat. I buy an update every other year. It's almost due…

• AJs Human I am with you. There was no GPS when I was on the road just me and that little thing called a map.
    Hope your not caught in the snow mess out there. If you are be safe.

Rita Jean

• I really appreciate some of the comments here. They are so enlightening.

I agree an Updated paper map is important. Of course if you live in an area that has rapidly developing neighborhoods and new businesses that paper map can get outdated very quickly. In my opinion it is better to have both. Years ago drivers sometimes helped out each other with directions over the CB radios too, and lets not forget the importance of a good compass for those that cannot find N with both their hands.

In today's world, sometimes a person can benefit from having both a paper map and a GPS. If you plan your trip prior to getting on the road then you might not have to worry so much about errors with a map or a GPS because you would already be a little familiar with the route. A paper map does not give you live traffic updates like a GPS can, route you around accidents, heavy traffic congestion or traffic jams, or on the day they decide to shut down a good part of a city like Chicago for a parade or marathon. Some GPS units will tell you your estimated time of arrival(which can be very valuable), some will tell you where the fuel stations, hospitals, police stations, post office, stores, pharmacies, and more are located. Of course most of them allow you to enter a point of interest or a regularly traveled route on your own. So if you happen to drive a truck and deliver to the same address on more than one occasion you can store that route and information in the GPS itself. Some GPS units can even remember where you are parked. Considering the price of Diesel fuel, a GPS can pay for itself the first time there is a traffic accident that shuts down a road for hours. Just last night, I-57 was completely blocked on one side while they were putting a car out that had been on fire. Of course there might have been more to it but it was dark and we could not see any other reason while both lanes were blocked, but it went on for miles. Since many drivers are paid by the mile, I can certainly understand why some drivers that own GPS and keep it up to date would value it.

GPS units are like any other electronic device sold, they are only as good as the people making them, and the map in them. Many people pay for map updates once a quarter which means a map is never more than three months old. There are even live updates where a map is corrected hourly, daily, weekly. Its all about what you are willing to pay for. Tom Tom also has a program for those who want to actively join and correct maps as they find errors on them. That type of updating benefits everyone that participates in it. Other companies such as Garmin offer update programs as well.

Of course accuracy is also dependent on the unit you use. For example, the military uses GPS as well as civil engineers who can survey your property down to 1 cm using today's modern equipment. Its also built into cell phones for emergency reasons.

As far as GPS pricing is concerned, they are going to vary depending on the size of the screen and what you want your GPS to be able to do. Some GPS units have Bluetooth for wireless headsets and cell phone paring. Some play movies and MP3s, and much more as mentioned above. In addition to this, if you go on vacation or travel for business you can throw it in your suit case and use it in your rental car. There are now some rental car companies that do include them.

Now I have no idea what GPS units have to do with Basenjis or how we ended up talking about them in this forum. I do know mine is helpful when I am going to pick up and transport a rescue. Its also helpful when we a traveling to a location for a Dog show, agility, or lure coursing event in a location we have not ever visited. Maybe next there will be a thread about Double log books and how many hours you really have to drive in truck to actually make a decent living these days. I know my oldest son has communicated that you really have to watch who you work for as well.
    Not to mention the safety issues involved with driving over the road on a day in day out basis.

Miranda and I really love being out on the road ourselves and have traveled extensively in this country. Compared to all the countries I have visited overseas, I would still prefer to travel the US based on the diversity of the landscape and natural wonders it offers. Yellowstone is one of our favorite places along with Alaska. At one time we even considered selling the house and just living in the motor home on the road like some people do today but for us we just do not feel it would be practical. The people that are able to certainly lead a special life.

Jason

• Houston

At one time we even considered selling the house and just living in the motor home on the road like some people do today but for us we just do not feel it would be practical. The people that are able to certainly lead a special life.

I so agree with you, it would be wonderful to do…one day maybe.

• @AJs:

GPS for trucks runs about $500-$800 depending on the model. They are only as up-to-date as the software, they aren't always accurate, as stated before and people become so reliant on them they forget where they are going if the GPS malfunctions. Sometimes, the routing given by the GPS isn't necessarily the best routing. I know shortcuts the GPS doesn't. They are a very handy aid for those who choose to use them, but I want people who learn from me to know their way around at least a little in addition to being able to use good ol' Rand McNally (the publisher of the truck atlas.) I have a very well-worn one right next to my seat. I buy an update every other year. It's almost due…

I have a GPS on my Tonka truck because the mapping of my backyard isn't always reliable and I end up in the wrong corner of the yard. I hate when that happens! 😃

• Houston

I have a GPS on my Tonka truck because the mapping of my backyard isn't always reliable and I end up in the wrong corner of the yard. I hate when that happens!

Funny post..

• Dan your funny you must just love that truck easy on gas?

Rita Jean

• @Rita:

Dan your funny you must just love that truck easy on gas?

Rita Jean

I love that truck Rita Jean! I can get a shovel full of dirt from one side of the yard to the other in no time. The only problem is I wear out jeans in the knees quickly so yes it is gas efficient but costly on my pants. 😃

• Jason: We ended up talking about GPS because this is the Chit-Chat section and we can talk about whatever we like. This thread has lead us to GPS via a wandering, narrow path, but it was fun getting here.

Now we're talking about Tonka trucks and holey jeans…this is getting even better....:D

• @AJs:

Jason: We ended up talking about GPS because this is the Chit-Chat section and we can talk about whatever we like. This thread has lead us to GPS via a wandering, narrow path, but it was fun getting here.

Now we're talking about Tonka trucks and holey jeans…this is getting even better....:D

Cool! Maybe next we can discuss the High School Champion Playoff football game I photographed yesterday, digital cameras, lenses, fitness, or possibly how many miles or hours you actually have to drive a truck to make a living. I am all for talking about different things.

Jason

• I like digital cameras. Carry three of them with me at all times. 😃

And yes, please share some of your photos in the Chit-Chat section…I would like to see how you photograph action and perhaps learn from you.

• @AJs:

I like digital cameras. Carry three of them with me at all times. 😃

And yes, please share some of your photos in the Chit-Chat section…I would like to see how you photograph action and perhaps learn from you.

Great! Instead of tying up bandwidth here with off topic stuff like photography, I will be happy to post this link to one of the websites where my photography is hosted. Warning there is some nudity so please do not click on the link if it offends you

http://www.onemodelplace.com/member.cfm/P_ID/31348

Unfortunately I have more than three and I am about ready to possibly sell all of them and start over with newer technology. Of course I am going to hang onto my film based Hasselblad for a while. Are you familiar with the Hassy line?

I also like trucks, so maybe you can share how many miles you have to drive a day to make a living and what its like in this day and time to be an over the road driver. I am sure you have seen your share of accidents on the road, as well as unique structures like Bishop's Castle.

Jason

• Vaguely familiar. They are very fine film cameras, but I gave up film a long time ago. I found I did not have the space to store the negatives and prints. I cut my teeth on my mother's Canon (but don't remember the model number) and graduated to digital from there. I still have a film camera somewhere…in storage I think. I've found digital to be easier to develop, more time efficient and more environmentally friendly.

The photos I post here are taken with a $75 5mp Nikon. My other point-n-shoot is a 5mp Konica-Minolta (makes beautiful colors) and my "big" camera is a 12.3 mp Fuji S3Pro. I wanted a broader dynamic range and color capability, so I lost a little on resolution. Actual resolution with this camera is 6.15. My next acquisition will probably be the high-resolution Canon.

• I put a link for you to one of my portfolios in my previous post to save bandwidth on this website.

You can find some pictures of one of our dogs, Roo, on a new website I am going to be working on.

www.basenjiplace.com

Jason

• Very nice photos. (They are so adorable when they are pups.) I like the crisp lines and color quality.

BTW: What was that you were saying about humanizing dogs? 😃

• Jason Yes what what they you were saying about "HUMANIZING DOGS".

Rita Jean

• Rita Jean and AJ's Human,

So what is it you are questioning at this point? Is it the life jacket for safety on the sailboat, or the bike trailer to transport my dogs 6 miles to the park so we could walk 3 miles, and then bike 6 miles back home. We did that to save gas money when it when over $3.00 per gallon? Unfortunately we are not wealthy and save money where we can.

Are you possibly questioning the Dog Bed, which by the way is a Dog Bed, and the Toy in his mouth is a Dog Toy that was cheap and used to keep him from chewing our Oak furniture.

The Dog Kennel is a Dog Kennel or crate if you prefer.

Or are you complaining about the sweater which has already been determined to be necessary in colder climates such as ours. We certainly have posted in the past about Basenji's misbehaving when they are over tired or cold.

As far sailing goes, the reason we took him with us is so we could be sure he received proper care because we knew we would be gone a long time. So instead of leaving him home at the young age of 4 to 5 months for more than 3 hours at a time, we did the responsible thing and took him with us. We also did the responsible thing by insuring he would be safe and visible to all boats until we could rescue him, if he happened to fall off the boat and into the middle of the lake. We also double checked to make sure he could swim if he had to. So many people have said " basenji's do not swim," but we personally know that is not true.

We could have been irresponsible and left him locked in his crate in his own pee without regard for him until we felt like coming home. Guess what, we did not choose that route.

Maybe this is one reason our dog is so well socialized, and well adjusted.

Our Dog is our companion but he is still a dog. We allow him the space to be a dog. If you haven't noticed yet, we do not have any halloween costume pictures of him, pictures of him in a crib, or even on our bed. He missed out on the birthday hat's, diamond collars, a veal birthday cakes. This year he is sure to pine away because he does not have a stocking hanging over the mantle waiting for Santa Claus to fill it.

So, please, do not be shy or hold back, put your real questions out there clearly and distinctly so Miranda and I can answer it for you!

Much of this may have been covered before you became members of the forum.

I can see once again we have deviated off the current topic and we are going in another direction. So be it.

Jason

• Please folks can we stay on the topic?! Now what were we talking about and who started this thread anyway? I think I'm having a senior moment here.

• Houston

Jason and Miranda.
    I love the pictures of Roo, I especially love the last one of him on the sailboat, with the waves splashing in the background, really cool, it is so far from what my B likes..being so close to water I mean.
    Does he like the water?

• @AJs:

Vaguely familiar. They are very fine film cameras, but I gave up film a long time ago. I found I did not have the space to store the negatives and prints. I cut my teeth on my mother's Canon (but don't remember the model number) and graduated to digital from there. I still have a film camera somewhere…in storage I think. I've found digital to be easier to develop, more time efficient and more environmentally friendly.

The photos I post here are taken with a $75 5mp Nikon. My other point-n-shoot is a 5mp Konica-Minolta (makes beautiful colors) and my "big" camera is a 12.3 mp Fuji S3Pro. I wanted a broader dynamic range and color capability, so I lost a little on resolution. Actual resolution with this camera is 6.15. My next acquisition will probably be the high-resolution Canon.

AJs Human,

You apparently are doing very well with your small mega pixel cameras. How much resolution you need depends on your intended use and final prints if you wish to make them.

Fuji has always claimed a higher number of pixel resolution compared to the actual resolution of their cameras until they were stopped by the govt years ago and were forced to disclose the actual number pixels their camera actually had. It still has not stopped them from claiming their technology gives you an equivalent of what a camera that has double the number of actual pixels(or photo-sites) would have. This is similar to claims that Sigma who is now the owner or Foveron sensor technology has made

Many people get caught up on the number a mega pixels that a camera has and always think more is better. Of course this is not true. Its the size of the Pixel and sensor that's important. In other words a larger sensor with a large Pixel diameter will provide better light collecting ability. I have a 4MP pixel Professional Canon 1D I purchased back in 2000 or 2001. At that time the 1D body cost me $5000 but it could shoot 8 frames per second. It also had the fastest and most accurate focusing system on the market. That camera is only a 4.17 MP camera but the photo-sites are ten times the size of what is found in a consumer camera. The sensor is also much closer to the size of a 35mm frame when compared to film. Consumer cameras actually have very tiny sensors inside them, so they are not very good in low light conditions and the while they might have twice as much resolution as the Canon I mentioned the output is not even on the same level as the Canon. There is a picture of a Tiger you can go look at on the first link I posted in this thread. It was shot with my Canon 1D 4MP camera and was the Picture of the Day for that site.

For those who only wish to shoot 4x6 images for the web or print, 3 to 5 MP is plenty. Of course new technology has come along and allowed the shot to shot times as well as the focusing and metering systems to be much better.

If you noticed over the years, most of the professionals who were used to shooting 35mm film who switched to digital, kept asking the manufacturers for a full frame digital sensors in their cameras. Nikon claimed it was not necessary and said they were not going to produce them, while Canon put out Full frame digital sensors both in their professional line as well as their prosumer line. Nikon has finally seen the light where this is concerned.

Currently both Canon and Nikon lead the market. Nikon has come a long way in the last few years in an effort to catch up with Canon in both lens technology and sensors. Canon does have an advantage as it develops its sensors in house, while Nikon still is buying their sensors on the open market from another party.

As a Canon Shooter for the last ten years and a Nikon Shooter prior to that, I am strongly considering changing camps to Nikon once again in pursuit of what I feel is the best equipment to produce the best image for my tastes.

Jason

Suggested Topics