• my basenji boy pup is 5months old. he humped my other basenji boy and boyfriend from 8-11 weeks for play.

he stopped humping at 11 weeks.

now he is 5months and will hump everything at the dog park. i believe it is dominance humping now and he is not gender specific, but he is looking for something.

if you plan on having a social male (IE going to dog parks etc) I would suggest fixing him

caesar is my 5yr old male basenji. I fixed him at 7 months and he has a great temperment for an indoor dog.

i find that there is a craziness with not fixing a male basenji that i personally dont prefer. the ease of personal once fixed is really what saved my sanity with them…..

good luck!!

• @Mantis:

my basenji boy pup is 5months old. he humped my other basenji boy and boyfriend from 8-11 weeks for play.

he stopped humping at 11 weeks.

now he is 5months and will hump everything at the dog park. i believe it is dominance humping now and he is not gender specific, but he is looking for something.

if you plan on having a social male (IE going to dog parks etc) I would suggest fixing him

caesar is my 5yr old male basenji. I fixed him at 7 months and he has a great temperment for an indoor dog.

i find that there is a craziness with not fixing a male basenji that i personally dont prefer. the ease of personal once fixed is really what saved my sanity with them…..

good luck!!

I completely agree. IMO, fixed dogs just make better pets….

• caesar was my first male dog. i had seen too many males pee on everything to mark, sniff crotches and hump other dogs during play. i guessed the fixing would directly relate to the behavior. caesar was also out of control at that age anyway, and i hoped the fixing would settle him down, which it did. so did obedience training.

i fixed caesar to avoid those behaviors which worked. he would squat pee until he was about 4-5 years. he now will mark territory when bored in the yard and sniffing around. when he normal pees he still squats with no reserve pee for later 😃 . he has over the years humped for play- larger dogs who are bird watching and frozen on the hunt. he wanted to play and didnt know why they didnt, and would hump them to annoy them into play.it is unacceptable behavior and stopped immediately.

caesar never humped for dominance as a puppy or as an adult. Cairo does. Caesar never humped as a puppy either. It may be differences in persona or the fact that I have 2 males.

when your boy basenji hits 6-7months, you should know if you need to fix him or not.

• My boy is 9 months and the sweetest basenji there is no humping apart from a few bitches in the dogpark that were in the first week of their heat.Doesn´t lift his leg yet and has never growled to anyone doesn´t cause havoc in the house sleeps in my bed only time I crate him is when I leave the house or in the car.People always comment what a calm and relaxed dog he is, he will not be neutered as he´s a show dog .

• Im probly getting a female, and going to name her Porsha, I just have to get on the waiting list.

• Hi:)
    Ive got male and I love him… He is my first basenji and thanks to him I love this breed :D Im going to buy female next year but... Im scared... I dont know why... I saw very agressive bitches and maybe it is reason?

• My male (fixed) was always the alpha dog. He never passed up an opportunity to show his dominance of our female (also fixed). Never had any marking issues with him as he was always a squat pee'er. I guess our female was unusual, but she was the most laid-back dog I'd ever seen. Always very submissive around other dogs.

• They say males are softer but i´ve met some wonderful bitches one of them being Myrans mum.When you choose a pup look at the mum if she´s sweet and friendly and the pup´s are well socialized then why not a little girl.Also ask around with other basenji owners whether the kennel you´re planning to get your dog from has had issues with bad mentality.
    There´s quite a few kennels having real good litters this year in sweden one of them being Kennel Wazin who mated Myran´s dad Meisterhaus Tail of Intrigue with Myrans aunt Wazin Red Bonita the pup´s are ready for sale end of january both parents have a fantastic mentality and both are champions.

• I agree that it is important to meet the dogs of the breeder(s) that you are considering getting a puppy from. I have 3 females and 1 male. My male is less "intense" about things as an example if he sees a squirrel while we are on a walk he will happily chase it into a tree but if I then tell him it is time to go, he will leave it. My girls will tree a squirrel and then look for ways to climb the tree and I have had to carry them away from the tree.

My girls are also very cuddly, more so than my male who loves to snuggle but not in the same way as my girls. I love both sexes and think that a well bred, well socialized pup of either sex should be a joy.

• Actually I always temperment test my puppies (when I have them). I rate them based on this test an A, B or C or D. B or C do better with inexperienced folks - are more willing to comply - D (if I get any are a risk to be fear biters and need some work to improve confidence and manners) A are alphas and I never place an alpha in a home with small children (the child will be lower in the heirarchy than the dog is - not good) I typically do find my show dogs in the Alpha pile though because they are very confident and Look at me.

I find that this is better than is a boy or girl better. And I will also say that sometimes dogs end up not what you would think so it's easy to say - oh that's not right but when they are older - you see that indeed the tests were right.

• I would neuter the dog that has fear biting issues and never breed from one or it´s relatives we have to get those kinda dog´s eradicated from the breed.And by getting them out of the reeding programme we will do the basenji a favour.
    My male is the sweetest but still loves to prance in the ring and he´s so patient with kids and babies .The most winning basenji at the moment is also a sweety and so was his successful father so yes we can have both it just takes determination.

• Girrrls are Great, but Boys are Better.
    At least that's what my 2 boys say. My girl, at 10, has become very sweet and cuddly, the boys have always been cuddlers. All the personality types come in either sex, you just need to find the personality you want, whichever sex it is, you will love it.
    Anne in Tampa

• Oh but the saying is "Boys are Best"… gggg

And yes it is the temperament of the pup that best fits your home, life style, family, etc.... and that is one of the best reasons to go to a responsible breeder... they are the ones that will try and fit the "family" with the pup... they will not let potentials just come in a "pick" this one or that one..

• I should clarify when I talk about a D being in danger of being a fear biter - it is a dog with not much confidence if it is not placed in a perfect situation where they are experienced basenji people and can work with him or her - they could be a fear biter. These are the dogs that need a 'job' to build confidence - regular obedience and rally have been effective in these situations - less effective lure coursing.

• Girl or a boy I guess both have their advantages i´m getting a girl next week she´s Myrans half sister and cousin.´We´ll call her Efia =born on a friday i´m co-owning her with a breeder in finland.If you wan´t to see her she´s in the members puppy gallery under her name Efia.She has the most wonderful wrinkles our tiny girl.So boy´s are the best but girls are even more gorgeous naaah they´re both adorable in their own way;)

• I only have experience of a girl Basenji and she is 100% perfect and a sweetheart… so far!

But, the way i look at it, if you had your heart set on a boy wait for a boy 😃 The dog will (hopefully) be with you for many years to come so get the one you really want 🙂

Good luck for next years breeding!

• @MacPack:

Girrrls are Great, but Boys are Better.
    At least that's what my 2 boys say. My girl, at 10, has become very sweet and cuddly, the boys have always been cuddlers. All the personality types come in either sex, you just need to find the personality you want, whichever sex it is, you will love it.
    Anne in Tampa

I agree 100%. My boy was easier earlier than my girl. I love my little lady too but I think the growing up years with her have a lot of selective memory now that she's older and a cuddle-bug. It took so more more time and effort with her, that it's a greater sense of accomplishment.

• I always wanted a male B, but we ended up getting a female and I must say we are nothing but happy with our girl Lilo. She shows so much love to us, especially me. When ever I sit she sits right beside me, and she always has to have body contact. Weather she's laying on me or just sitting against me.

I say get the girl, you won't regret it, I know we certainly don't.

• I had two boys, (Caspar and Moet) when we lost Caspar Moet was so distraught, I decided to buy another B to keep him company, as I had issues with the two boys fighting I bought a girl, Fiji, I always preferred the boys but after having Fiji (and now her daughter also) I can say that Fiji changed my mind, she is just so brilliant.

I certainly wouldn't rule out a bitch.

• according to my opinion, everyone is different

Suggested Topics