• Our little pup just can't stop trying to chew his tail. He will run in circles trying to get it. I've looked at it and the tip is really dry and flaky. Is there anything I can put on his tail to try to stop the itch??

• Try A&D ointment (yes, same as used for diaper rash)…. and OK if they lick this off.... There is a problem that some of us breeders have had that we call tail crud.. however this usually happened when the pups were 1 to 2 wks... after my first experience with this, I used A&D on every litter, every day on the tail tips.... but your pup could have this from when he was a baby....

• Tail Curd? I've never heard of this. His tail does look chapped and flakey. I'll try the A&D and hopefully it will help.
    Thanks Pat

• Your welcome.. The tail crude that I talked about is something some breeders have found with newborns and cleared up by 3 or 4 wks of age, but if the A&D worked for them and it did, then might help your little guy…

• have you considered having a vet look at it?

my dog had itchy dry & flakey spots as a wee pup, and it turned out it was demodetric mange. I was glad I had it evaluated by a vet. I got a special ointment to apply that took care of the problem.

• @jessi76:

have you considered having a vet look at it?

my dog had itchy dry & flakey spots as a wee pup, and it turned out it was demodetric mange. I was glad I had it evaluated by a vet. I got a special ointment to apply that took care of the problem.

What does Demodetric Mange look like? What kind of medication did the vet perscribe.
    When I first took Chance into the vet I told him about the tail. He said that he had a mild irritation on it and not to worry but it still is bothering him. Any time I touch it he will immediately chew on his tail.

• for my dog it started out as very small, whitish/pinkish, just dry looking patches. I thought nothing of it at first, then it got worse and it spread. at the base of his tail, on his side, on his belly. tiny - about the size of a dime at their largest. it's VERY common in puppies, most outgrow it by 10 mths w/ no treatment. My vet prescribed Goodwinol ointment, to be applied 2x a day since my dog had a very minor case. It's diagnosed by taking a skin scraping of one of the spots and looking under a microscope for mites. My vet only found 1 live mite (the rest were dead).

have you also checked for fleas?

• Fleas were the first thing I thought of but he has been on flea/tick treatment since I brought him home at 9 weeks so I don't think its that. He goes back into the vet soon for his rabies shots and I'll have them do a skin patch test. Thanks Jessi!

• This tail "crude" that I am talking about is only on the tip of the tail, no place else…. however never hurts to make sure it is not mange...

Suggested Topics