• Our humane society has a log you can fill out and other neighbors can fill out re barking and time of day. It takes a bit of time, but they will finally come out talk to the owners, second time out and there is ALWAYS as second time out the fine is $100..after that, the fines really go up.
    Maybe your area has something like that?

• Houston

Wow, I have never heard of anything like that here in Houston, that doesn't mean we don't have it.

• Call and check. The more neighbors you can get to sign off on your complaint, the better.

• Mine would also go nuts when people walk their dogs past the house.. granted they are all on lead.. so that is not a problem.. but they would stop in front of the house to stare and point and the "basenjis" in the windows… their dogs would start barking... my Basenjis would start fighting....ggg and racing from window to window... the more the raced the longer the people would stand there and point... So many times I wanted to holler out the window... "For heavens sake, keep walking, you are driving my dogs crazy"....

• All the houses surrounding mine have at least one dog - most of the people are good but some shouldn't have the dogs period.
    The worst are the people with two poodle-wannabes (we call them Yip and Yap); the female barks constantly when she's outside (even at 2 in the morning) and can see other dogs or people or whatever (when EL D was alive the two would have vicious bouts where our fences meet) and neither of their dogs have had any obedience training whatsoever - I finally put up a big giant Blue tarp at our corner so her dogs couldn't see into my yard (her innocent response: Oh does my dog's barking bother you?).
    Unfortunately the lady on my right has two mop dogs which were really nice until Yip and Yap started their yap fest and learned from them and now one of hers will bark its fool head off whenever it sees Gossy or another dog (Terry has done the water bottle, and bark collar, and chirp alarm, etc. to no avail trying to get her to shut up). I hate to say this but I'll be glad when Yip and Yap are gone.
    I'm so glad Gossy is so mellow.

• Come on down to Georgia, y'all!
    Buy some land without neighbors nearby and enjoy your dogs.
    Reading these posts reminds me why I moved to a rural area in the south.

• Vicki would love it but years ago I owed a house in a little town called Hume, Mo. It was 10 miles one way to get milk now if want Wal-Mart or anything else it was 25 miles one way. I am spoiled now I am always having to go to store after something and I was always out of something when I lived there. My blessing was granny was 1/2 mile away and had what I needed. Give me that good old county air yes but as Eva always said it's New York I rather have or in my case Prairie Village.

Rita Jean

• Houston

We are in a neighborhood with no HOA or deed restrictions, so that is good, our yard is about 1/2 acre, Ok size, but we are trying to actually move further out, into country..meaning I would drive my kids 25 miles each way to school, and I am exited about that potential. Country side peace in this hectic world..its a good thing, so long as I have a car and a freeway is close by..

• Basenjimamma I do not mean to sound crazy but are you crazy? Does Texas not have school buses? What about when kids get into sports and other things and have to go back to school in the evening. That is a lot of miles a week.

Rita Jean

• Houston

My daughter is in a private school, very small, only goes to school 4 days a week, and later, years later, if we change our mind we will find a school closer to our hopefully new home…yeah, probably crazy, but oh well, I am a crazy Swede.

• That's ok Basenjimamma I drive a Saab and we all know it comes from Sweden so does that make me crazy???

Rita Jean

• Houston

Well as a Volvo driver I would say so…only kidding. Being that I am from over there, driving some distances is normal, shoot, walking about 6 miles to school is what I did, if I missed the bus..Where my mom lives, you have to take a walk on ferry, that goes once an hour..if you miss it you wait for the next one, now that sucks..IMO..that is where I have gotten americanized.

• 6 miles kids today would go over the deep end for sure. I am not to wild about water so no ferry for me. Must be why me and Jaycee get along no wild water for us. Nothing wrong with being americanized.

Rita Jean

• Houston

and some kids need to walk some of their weight off, isn't it typical..?

• My son is a large boy not due to not walking just large like my uncle. Eli was 13 end of July and his weight is 130 lbs or so and 10 men's shoe to 10 1/2 and he is 5'6. Eli big boy but I have seen some kids that walking really was needed every day. That is my baby.

Rita Jean

Suggested Topics