• My Vet said that Marko is overweight. I've cut back on his treats and food. I also feed him veggie when he's still hungry. But he's still not losing any weight. He's 41 lbs. Is that to heavy a weight for a Basenji. We have a big fenced in back yard and he goes out and runs with Bella every day. Also my husband takes them both on walks daily. Is there anything else I can do? Or do you think he's OK? I've had the Vet check his Thyroid and he's OK, so the Vet says. Help:eek:

• Is Marko a full Basenji? I do not know but I think 25 lbs or less is more correct. Hopefully the long time owners of Basenjis can help out here. Do you have a picture you could post on here so we could see Marko?

Rita Jean

• A 17 inch male should be around 25 pounds. There is some variability based on muscle and bone density so some will be a little heavier, some a little lighter. You should be able to see a visible waist on your dog when viewed from above.

How much are feeding him? Did your vet have a full panel run for thyroid or just T4? Was he well within the normal range? Or was he low normal?

• IMO… that is way to heavy for a Basenji....

• Green beans and more green beans. I garden, and this summer froze many packages of beans and canned some, too. The dogs get canned green beans for treats (w/o added salt).

• Houston

My dogs get raw carrots, they think they are "bones" and they love'em..makes for really pretty poop too..;)

• @Basenjimamma:

My dogs get raw carrots, they think they are "bones" and they love'em..makes for really pretty poop too..;)

Carrotts are great for them… but remember, they have sugar.. so as they say.. everything in moderation...gggg

• 41 lbs?!! Wow that's a record. How much and how often are you feeding? Is it free feeding? What brand of food? Is he getting table scraps that are high in fat?

• I have a neighbor who has a little black daschhound - that little thing is so fat his stomach drags when he's walking sometimes. They think it's cute - to me it's a shame, the poor little guy - the only time he's outside is to do his business, then right back in, so he also gets no exercise that I can see. Not my business, but hard to watch.

• I was walking Buddy in the park and ran into a guy that adopted a little black dog that looked like it was part Min Pin. Anyway the poor thing was way over weight which the guy said the dog went from 12lbs to 21 lbs because he was feeding it table scraps. He took the dog to the vet and now it's on a diet.

• There was a person here on the Forum for a short time that posted a picture of her Basenji… she was as big around as tall, poor thing.... she was all put out that her Vet said the dog needed a diet... and thought she look just fine and was perfectly healthy.... didn't get the support to that from anyone on the Forum...

• @tanza:

There was a person here on the Forum for a short time that posted a picture of her Basenji… she was as big around as tall, poor thing.... she was all put out that her Vet said the dog needed a diet... and thought she look just fine and was perfectly healthy.... didn't get the support to that from anyone on the Forum...

Some people have the abberated idea that a fat dog = a healthy dog. :eek:

• Houston

Look at what people are doing for their kids…plump baby = healthy baby..not necessarily, and we know fat children does not = healthy children..

• Basenjimamma, true fat babies not healthy have you really ever looked at a can of formula and broke down the fats in it. Like feeding cattle just to fatten them up.

As the old story goes we do it to our children when they first start out in life then same goes for our dogs we do good old table food Ha!

Rita Jean

• Houston

We do need fats for development of our brain, as an infant, but their is no reason for babies, toddlers and children of any age to be rolley polleys..

• You need a limited amount of fats for development. I my sister's daughter did a chart for a school project on the fats a baby needs and the fats in formula's, baby cereals, baby foods. Took chart did meals for a baby up to 12 months and the fats that a baby got were unreal.
    This what I say no different unless we learn, read what ever same as with our dogs good table food for them as baby foods for babies. I would have never ever know until I seen the chart.

Rita Jean

• I have a hands-free jogging harness. It's GREAT. The kids love it and think they're on a mission to lead the pack down the sidewalks where we go running. I will try to find a pic if anyone is interested!! 🙂

• I would love to see it and if can tell me were you got it.

Rita Jean

• I got mine from FunStuffforDogs.com – however, I can't find it on their site anymore. I did manage to find it several other places. This one was the cheapest and most closely resembles the one I have. I like this one because it has a loop for your hand for extra control. It also has some bungee material so IF your dog decides to go in a different direction from you, it's not as harsh on him. I also like it's designed with a little waist compartment that will hold my keys, cell phone, and doggie poop bags. I have to admit though-- if we're just walking, my dogs will sniff and get tangled up. I connect my two dogs on a leash splitter so they're both harnessed into the same unit. And for us, it works best if we are jogging or running. They LOVE it. If I get that thing out, they go nuts because they know what's coming. 🙂 Let me know if anyone else tries this!! 🙂

http://www.petstreetmall.com/Hands-Free-Leash/4172/1589/

• @Brenda:

My Vet said that Marko is overweight. I've cut back on his treats and food. I also feed him veggie when he's still hungry. But he's still not losing any weight. He's 41 lbs. Is that to heavy a weight for a Basenji. We have a big fenced in back yard and he goes out and runs with Bella every day. Also my husband takes them both on walks daily. Is there anything else I can do? Or do you think he's OK? I've had the Vet check his Thyroid and he's OK, so the Vet says. Help:eek:

Brenda, thanks for posting. As you can see by the responses, yes 41lbs is way too heavy unless you have a b-cross. Many here have wonderful advice when it comes to weight loss and most long time posters have more experience than me.

I can only add that after reading here at the forums when I first joined, I got rid of all the dog snacks in my house, stopped the 'one for me, one for you' practice during evening hours and weekends with chips and cheetos from the husband, bought a small bag of a good off brand lite dog food to use as rewards, and cut back on the oz. size of daily feedings.

My Kate went from 32lbs to 28 lbs in one year. May not seem a BIG loss to others, but it was a HUGE step for us. Gave us the fortitude to continue our best efforts. She continues to lose weight. She's still chubby compared to her big brother, but she's looking better every year.

Suggested Topics