Skip to content

Need help!!

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Hi all,

    Jax has been staying with my sister over the last week because of my crazy work schedule. He just turned one. Starting today on day 4 at my sisters house he started getting these red bumps all over him. No changes in food, no known allergies, or medical conditions that may be causing this. He has been acting and eating nornally. No real changes, he is home now and it has only been a few hours but the bumps are still there. Hopefully someone can help me with what these may be?? I plan on taking him to the vet obviously but peace of mind in the meantime would be nice. There are about 15 bumps total, they are behind ears, above eyes, on shoulders, near genitals(not on), and on his knees. I am going to try to upload pictures.

  • This post is deleted!
  • I cannot get the pictures to upload. I keep getting an error, but they almost look like pimples without the head

  • Nick, she may use something in her yard or cleaning product. Try wiping him off completely or bathing, and give benedryl.

  • Hope things worked out. Might be chemicals but might also be an insect/spider bite. Would be interesting to know what the vet said.

  • @nick4 Sounds like an allergy or something biting him. For sure the vets and see what they say. Benadryl for sure, as far as I know it does no harm if you dose correctly.

Suggested Topics

  • Help!!

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    10
    2 Votes
    10 Posts
    5k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    I have never had a vet not know what breed my dogs are, even though when I got my first one they did not have any others in the practice. My vet immediately began reading up. And when I gave her info, she listened. Foxtails can be very nasty and a vet that lives in an area with them should know you have to REMOVE IT before your dog will get better. So I join the others in begging you to get another vet.
  • Need help/advice…

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    QuercusQ
    @Marie: One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet and which is recommended when treating giardia is to bathe the dog. This is because the giardia cysts can adhere to the hair around the hind end of the dog who then can re-infect himself by grooming. More of a factor in a long haired dog, obviously, but if it were me I'd be giving Oakley a few baths just to be on the safe side. (I'm sure he'll thank me for this suggestion! :eek:) Oooooo, I didn't know that! That is a great bit of info!
  • What Exactly Do i Need to Do?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    7k Views
    khanisK
    We did the puppies at 3 wks of age. They would like the babes to be off momm for at least a few hours. I did mine overnight to be sure the only DNA in the mouth was their own. With adults, doing it right when they wake up is the best way to go. Let hte FTA card dry an hour + then package and mail. Do NOT send blood samples for the Fanconi test. You will be asked to order a swab if you do. They are running all the fanconi tests [on live dogs] on swabs ONLY. Jon has requested this via several lists.
  • 0 Votes
    26 Posts
    18k Views
    K
    She still seeks out water but not to the degree that she was. As the accidents wane, I have been trying to leave the water out a bit more, but like one of the other members said about their husband, mine also is sick of cleaning up the pee so I have to find a happy medium between the two. All in all I think we are doing fine, and once again thanks for all of your concern. I will be sure to connect with the Basenji Forums again if there are any other questions.
  • Help!!!!!

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    6k Views
    tanzaT
    Diana…. I totally agree that we seem to be seeing IBD alot more in our breed again........ And Janet, you should also point her to the Basenji Club of America site www.basenji.org and then she can go to the health section …. read more about health concerns in Basenjis
  • I Need HELP

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    20
    0 Votes
    20 Posts
    12k Views
    MantisM
    how is your basenji now? do you see any improvement?