• If your Basenji is behaving badly show this video to them so they can see what prison is like.

[yt]0GUa8n-REQo[/yt]

• Oh my. I can't imagine what was involved to pull that off.

• Who trained those dogs and are there books by them?!? The fact that there were about 15 dogs sitting/standing at tables and not trying to play or bite one another for even a few seconds is extrordinary.

• Amazing isn't it! Without really any technology they did an awesome job.

• :D:D:D Great stuff!

• Hey Friends!!

So i have a new problem.. Corrina loves to get into trouble. When i ask her to play with her toys, i'll make them appealing and and she'll bite them for a few minutes, then go right back to trying to dig through the trash once i sit down. Right now we live in a one room studio. I believe that i walk her adaquately, however she still finds it necessary to destruct when i'm not paying attention to her. I'm finding this behavior exhausting.. if i want to just sit and relax she wont let me.. she'll start biting and nipping my arms trying to play.. but i want to nap. or watch tv. or ignore her. Other times when she doesnt want my attention she'll just perch up in her window and be an angel. i dont get it and im so frustrated that everytime i try to correct her, she picks up my vibe and responds even worse!! I'm tired and i want us to get along, i know obedience training would be the key helper, but right now i cant afford it, nor do i have a car to take her now anyway. That'll all change in October, along with our living arrangements, but i was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to keep her occupied on her lonesome?? I buy her bones and all that but i dont want to constantly feed her bc her belly's slightly sensitive, her toys get shredded w/in 20 minutes and i bought her a chew proof kong that she wont touch bc she cant destroy it. HOW DO I KEEP HER CALM AND OCCUPIED WHEN IM POOPED?!?! Thanks in advance. 🙂

Annie.

• @Anniemal:

Hey Friends!!

So i have a new problem.. Corrina loves to get into trouble. When i ask her to play with her toys, i'll make them appealing and and she'll bite them for a few minutes, then go right back to trying to dig through the trash once i sit down. Right now we live in a one room studio. I believe that i walk her adaquately, however she still finds it necessary to destruct when i'm not paying attention to her. I'm finding this behavior exhausting.. if i want to just sit and relax she wont let me.. she'll start biting and nipping my arms trying to play.. but i want to nap. or watch tv. or ignore her. Other times when she doesnt want my attention she'll just perch up in her window and be an angel. i dont get it and im so frustrated that everytime i try to correct her, she picks up my vibe and responds even worse!! I'm tired and i want us to get along, i know obedience training would be the key helper, but right now i cant afford it, nor do i have a car to take her now anyway. That'll all change in October, along with our living arrangements, but i was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to keep her occupied on her lonesome?? I buy her bones and all that but i dont want to constantly feed her bc her belly's slightly sensitive, her toys get shredded w/in 20 minutes and i bought her a chew proof kong that she wont touch bc she cant destroy it. HOW DO I KEEP HER CALM AND OCCUPIED WHEN IM POOPED?!?! Thanks in advance. 🙂

Annie.

How old is Corrina? How long do you walk her? She has a lot of energy and may need more exercise. It's easy to get into an antagonistic game with a Basenji and she'll sense your frustration and then it gets worse. Reward her when she does what you want or good behavior with a treat. You'll have to put the trash where she can't get to it, like up high.

• Sound like to me also like she is not getting enough exercise…. and I agree about things like the trash. By leaving it on the floor or someplace she can get to it, that is just setting her up to fail... You can also work with her yourself if you can afford to take her to class... and that would help to exercise her mind as well as her body...

The nipping at you is what she would do with her littermates to get them to play, so she is only doing what comes natural to her. If she gets a reaction to you, then the "ploy" worked to get your attention.

• After we got Jaycee she would play and play there were four of us and the Shiba and Pom to help wear her down. She would rest look out door get up and play and then take a nap and then ready to go again.

We have all learned lots of playing and walking and then you get your rest time. Jaycee gets tried and ready for bed like a little kid between 9:00 and 9:30 every night.

We would not change her for anything just Jaycee being Jaycee lots of fun. I would have to say Corrnia not getting her energy used up and your the new play toy.

Good luck and have fun let know how its going.

Rita Jean

• Oi!! I'm looking at shredded toys right now. But I let him do it "cause shredded toys are better than shredded couch!! Still love him!!

• @BART:

Oi!! I'm looking at shredded toys right now. But I let him do it "cause shredded toys are better than shredded couch!! Still love him!!

Exactly… shredded toys are OK.... ggggg .... shredded couch... is not... and I have found that even the shredded toys are still fun to play with.. and if you have the time and put in the effort.. you can "restuff" sew them up... so they think they have a new toy to "un" stuff

• We have a lot of those same toys must have came from same store Ha! Ha!.

I gave up one day and I just let Jaycee chew on the knobs of my desk I can replace them they are metal and while she has been getting her teeth she has really chewed on them. No one can tell but me when I go to open them not smooth any more.

Rita Jean

• All Buddy's toys are shredded. He can unstuff one in minutes. I keep the shells and what not and he still plays with them. Luckily he does not swallow anything. I'm always picking up lint and pieces of this and that toy or vacuuming.

• The trash is an issue, i of course agree that it needs to be off the floor, but as i've said, we live in a studio. I suppose i need to invest in a tall trash can!!
    We walk for at LEAST 2 hours a day..all around and through town. Stopping sufficiently for sights and sniffs. I see our walking time as her time. sometimes all at once, sometimes in increments, but then i try to play with her with our toys and all she does is fly and try to nip me. Very little interest in anything that isnt a bone. I understand she's seeing me as a play mate.. i read somewhere that if you cant be the alpha, then you should just give in and love them and they'll feel so bad for you that they'll love you for it. hah, which is sometimes true w/ corrina but other times shes a bully.

i was just having a stressful day and needed to vent to you guys haha. Corrina is 2-2 1/2 and was in a puppy mill for the first 2 years of her life. BRAT rescued her, after she was bred a few times and left to die, and immediately spayed her. So i can see her having some issues, and i try to embrace them all, but sometimes its exhausting.

I agree with Rita Jean, I wouldn't trade this crazy pup for anything in the world, i'm just trying to be a better mom and acclimate myself to her needs. Which is reverse to everything ive ever learned about dogs… they're suppost to acclimate to their new homes! but whatever, appreciate the responses, and enjoy reading about everyone elses children. 🙂 Corrina's been yawning quite alot lately, i take that as a compliment, bc instead of getting hyper, she yawns, licks and looks out her window.
    later friends.

• @Anniemal:

The trash is an issue, i of course agree that it needs to be off the floor, but as i've said, we live in a studio. I suppose i need to invest in a tall trash can!!
    We walk for at LEAST 2 hours a day..all around and through town. Stopping sufficiently for sights and sniffs. I see our walking time as her time. sometimes all at once, sometimes in increments, but then i try to play with her with our toys and all she does is fly and try to nip me. Very little interest in anything that isnt a bone. I understand she's seeing me as a play mate.. i read somewhere that if you cant be the alpha, then you should just give in and love them and they'll feel so bad for you that they'll love you for it. hah, which is sometimes true w/ corrina but other times shes a bully.

i was just having a stressful day and needed to vent to you guys haha. Corrina is 2-2 1/2 and was in a puppy mill for the first 2 years of her life. BRAT rescued her, after she was bred a few times and left to die, and immediately spayed her. So i can see her having some issues, and i try to embrace them all, but sometimes its exhausting.

I agree with Rita Jean, I wouldn't trade this crazy pup for anything in the world, i'm just trying to be a better mom and acclimate myself to her needs. Which is reverse to everything ive ever learned about dogs… they're suppost to acclimate to their new homes! but whatever, appreciate the responses, and enjoy reading about everyone elses children. 🙂 Corrina's been yawning quite alot lately, i take that as a compliment, bc instead of getting hyper, she yawns, licks and looks out her window.
    later friends.

2 hours of walks is a lot. Maybe her hyperness is diet related. What are you feeding her? Wow 2 years in a puppy mill?! Why would she be there that long?

• @nobarkus:

2 hours of walks is a lot. Maybe her hyperness is diet related. What are you feeding her? Wow 2 years in a puppy mill?! Why would she be there that long?

Great point!! She gets the most hyper after her meals… almost immediately like i can call it.

Right now she's on Purina One, dry food for adults. Is there a special diet for hyper dogs? I saw at our local pet store that they sell treats called "mellow mutt." They're always out, so im assuming they work.. ive been trying to catch some and try them on her.
    Thanks for the help!

• @Anniemal:

Great point!! She gets the most hyper after her meals… almost immediately like i can call it.

Right now she's on Purina One, dry food for adults. Is there a special diet for hyper dogs? I saw at our local pet store that they sell treats called "mellow mutt." They're always out, so im assuming they work.. ive been trying to catch some and try them on her.
    Thanks for the help!

Get a better quality food. Purina is cheap grocery store food. Go to a pet store where they have better quality foods like Solid Gold or California Natural. Don't buy anything made with animal by-products, corn or wheat.

• yeah she likes california natural. didnt know it would help with her energy level. great news! just got back from a nice 3 hr walk w/ a friend. Now we're passed out on the couch and mommy has some quiet time. Good day. 🙂

also, i vaccume stuffing at least 3 times a day. my neighbors/tennets must think i'm an impulsive cleaner!! haha.

take care!

Suggested Topics