• Nemo makes a good point - get the bathroom behavior on a somewhat regular schedule (although an ex-trainer told me that routines are bad for dogs) - I've found over the years that worked really well for mine; allowing for some leeway.

• I have a fairly consistent routine. With the weekends being an exception obviously. I think that always throws him off course.

Surprisingly after I got home yesterday, everything was back to normal. He's not taking his time anymore. Even this morning he was not taking his time. So I wonder if it was something making him anxious as previously mentioned.

• If it's raining outside my guy has gone up to 20 hours without going :eek:

• Oh, yeah-if it's raining, that's taboo!

• @wizard:

Nemo makes a good point - get the bathroom behavior on a somewhat regular schedule (although an ex-trainer told me that routines are bad for dogs) - I've found over the years that worked really well for mine; allowing for some leeway.

I guess I didn't mean necessarily a routine but more like a command like sit but "pee now". Patricia McConnell usually recommends this on her radio show when people are having difficulty getting their pet to go potty.

• @Nemo:

I guess I didn't mean necessarily a routine but more like a command like sit but "pee now". Patricia McConnell usually recommends this on her radio show when people are having difficulty getting their pet to go potty.

Mine all have a command to go…but in the good weather, they still seem to take their time to go. Oh, and God forbid a leaf blows by while they are going, because they will stop and it will be another 5 - 10 minutes before they resume their "output". :rolleyes:

• This makes me laugh. Jonny b. LOVES the rain. He drags his feet to go in no matter, rain, sleet, snow, etc. Just doesnt like HAIL. :0
    Today we walked 20 min. in the rain! silly boy.

• I have a supplementary question along these same lines . We got our BRAT Ricky two weeks ago ( YIPPEE!!!! ) He is WONDERFUL . The only problem we are having is that he WILL NOT potty in our fenced in yard . In fact , it seems he won't go within 1 block of our house . We walk in the am and pm . He is very particular about where he will go, though he sniffs every available surface . While the weather is nice , I really don't mind this . We would be walking anyway . But when the frigid cold hits , it would be nice to open the door and have him go out , do his business quickly , and return . We have tried waiting him out in hopes of praise and treats once he goes in the yard . But Mr. iron- bladder- steel- sphincter WON'T go in the yard. Are there any suggestions ?Oh , by the way, once we are out of the yard and down the street he goes after a few quick sniffs .

• Jonny is a BRAT rescue we have had since January. Our first B. (I remember ricky on the Brat site! congratulations!!)
    Jonny wont go 2 NEAR our yard. He will go 1 in our yard. He will go both on command but I do not tell him to go 2 in our yard, and i know he wouldnt anyway. He will go on command in Tall grassy places, or in leaf piles, (like a field or a ditch). We are out rain, snow, shine, etc. He loves being out no matter what. So I own full snow gear and full rain gear.

• @LBRunyon:

I have a supplementary question along these same lines . We got our BRAT Ricky two weeks ago ( YIPPEE!!!! ) He is WONDERFUL . The only problem we are having is that he WILL NOT potty in our fenced in yard . In fact , it seems he won't go within 1 block of our house . We walk in the am and pm . He is very particular about where he will go, though he sniffs every available surface . While the weather is nice , I really don't mind this . We would be walking anyway . But when the frigid cold hits , it would be nice to open the door and have him go out , do his business quickly , and return . We have tried waiting him out in hopes of praise and treats once he goes in the yard . But Mr. iron- bladder- steel- sphincter WON'T go in the yard. Are there any suggestions ?Oh , by the way, once we are out of the yard and down the street he goes after a few quick sniffs .

I have to take my B outside no matter what.

It's nice during the spring/summer/fall, but the midst of winter is just simply brutal. -20F with a nice wind (colder windchill) will make any B go quickly, but it's still painful for us humans.

Suggested Topics