• @Patty:

Andrew - your post was excellent (although I'm sorry that you've had to go through all that worry)and I hope your advice will be of help to those on the Forum who are still looking for a Basenji.

Thanks. If I could, I wouldn't change a thing, because I wouldn't have Lola. BUT, I would like to know more about her pedigree/medical history behind her. But if I had gone with a rescue, I wouldn't be likely to have that information, either.

• @aniston2010:

Wow, I sure would like to see the rest of that dog. He *looks an awful lot like a purebred in the face…but it a possibility that there is some rat terrier, or dobe, or something that frequently carries blue in there. I would also love to see a pedigree to see if it is "different" enough for blue to be a possiblity.

The dogs are purebred Basenjis. There is no rat terrier, doberman, or another breed. They are Basenjis 🙂

I dont know alot about the blues, just what i have learned from on here (the forums from other members). I guess the blue is a dilute and it only shows up if there are 2 recessive? genes that carry the blue. Since you have to have 2 blues or two dogs that have the blue to produce a blue, and alot of basenjis dont carry it, it is, should i say?, rarely found. ? … Blue is possible to register with AKC ( I didnt know this) but since the parents were not AKC, the puppies are not eligible for registration with them.

Im not sure, correct me if im wrong anyone, but I believe this is the last blue line??? If not, is there another blue line that possibly IS AKC?

• @misspodhradsky:

The dogs are purebred Basenjis. There is no rat terrier, doberman, or another breed. They are Basenjis 🙂

I dont know alot about the blues, just what i have learned from on here (the forums from other members). I guess the blue is a dilute and it only shows up if there are 2 recessive? genes that carry the blue. Since you have to have 2 blues or two dogs that have the blue to produce a blue, and alot of basenjis dont carry it, it is, should i say?, rarely found. ? … Blue is possible to register with AKC ( I didnt know this) but since the parents were not AKC, the puppies are not eligible for registration with them.

Im not sure, correct me if im wrong anyone, but I believe this is the last blue line??? If not, is there another blue line that possibly IS AKC?

This spammer somehow stole my original comment…but, still, Whitney....you cannot know for sure that there wasn't some other breed mixed in there further back. That is why AKC registration is soooo important. It insures that the dogs ARE purebred. The other registrations don't. It is POSSIBLE that these are some of the remaining lines that have a recessive 'blue' gene...but it is highly improbable. It is more likely that someone accidentally, or intentionally bred in some breed that carries the dilute.

I know you believe what this woman has told you. And she may BELIEVE that these are purebred Basenjis...but she has no idea what has happened in the generations behind hers.

• Weird. How did a spammer do that. I didnt even know that was possible!

Yes i know. Im sorry i guess i shouldnt have said anything.

• @Quercus:

That is why AKC registration is soooo important. It insures that the dogs ARE purebred.

Well, it's a better option than others but it doesn't really "ensure" it. I'll be glad when we reach a point where DNA testing is mandatory and routine and cheap.

• @DebraDownSouth:

Well, it's a better option than others but it doesn't really "ensure" it. I'll be glad when we reach a point where DNA testing is mandatory and routine and cheap.

Of course you are right…it doesn't "ensure" it, I may have exaggerated the point. And I don't spell very well either...thank god you are there to catch these things.

My point was that there is a reason that breeders choose to use registeries other than AKC in the US, and it is usually because their dogs are unregisterable with AKC because there is no paperwork to back up that their dogs are purebred.

• When we got Maxx back in 1995, one of his sisters was a dilute tri-color. Don't remember whether or not she had blue eyes, but she was definitely a "faded" (my term) tri-color.

• @LindaH:

When we got Maxx back in 1995, one of his sisters was a dilute tri-color. Don't remember whether or not she had blue eyes, but she was definitely a "faded" (my term) tri-color.

Where did you get your fella at?

• @Quercus:

I am thinking the blue in the eyes is the reflection, not the color. Blue dobes have brown eyes, just like black ones.

Idk if that only works in dogs. but rabbits if its a blue color they must have the blue eyes or its a DQ.

Omgoodness that is a beautiful color! A little on the light side but it is just a puppy and gorgeous none the less. I wonder if you can get new colors passed in dogs like in rabbits. Trust me its a difficult process but its so rewarding to see all the beautiful colors. Chocolate has always been a favorite of mine 🙂

Suggested Topics