Senior boy needs a new home

• Hi All,

Sometimes things are not as they should be.

The lifetime owner of Apu Snarlfing Rutabega, aka Quinn finds she is not willing to care for him in his seniority. He is brother to Chauncey, Ecco, Trill's son, mother is Gem, and was born June 6, 1996. Quinn is a black & white neutered boy.

Rebecca reports him to be friendly, good with children, and in pretty good health, albeit somewhat neglected. He is in Kingston, NY.

Rebecca has already listed him with BRAT but it'd sure be nice if he found a home in the family,

Anyone of you think this is something you can do. It'd be a mitzvah.

Let me know of any ideas.

• Houston

Dan, I looked at the Brat website but didn't see him. He sounds very sweet, I sure hope they find him a nice home.

• @Basenjimamma:

Dan, I looked at the Brat website but didn't see him. He sounds very sweet, I sure hope they find him a nice home.

He's from my friend Susan's breeding (Apu Basenjis). She thinks she may have something lined up. It's hard to believe someone would just not want their Basenji, or any pet for that matter because he's an older adult.

• this just breaks me. poor baby. Keep us in the loop his progress!!

• @nobarkus:

Hi All,

Sometimes things are not as they should be.

The lifetime owner of Apu Snarlfing Rutabega, aka Quinn finds she is not willing to care for him in his seniority. He is brother to Chauncey, Ecco, Trill's son, mother is Gem, and was born June 6, 1996. Quinn is a black & white neutered boy.

That really makes me angry. I love my oldies - i think old age brings out all the best (& worst!) qualities in them - especially their sense of humour, and cant imagine anyone spending 13 years with a dog and then not being willing to help them through their last few years. Sure it can be difficult - in the last 2 years i have lost 3 dobes, all in their teens - and have a 14.5 yr old one just hangin on in there at the moment - and yes it can get you down sometimes if they have accidents during the night etc - but dogs are not a disposable item.

I hope he finds a good fireside to last out his days.

• Houston

I am glad Susan has a potential family lined up..It just infuriates me to see somebody "throw away" a living thing because he is elderly..:(

• I hope this old boy finds a loving family, I can't believe that anyone could be that callous.

• @Basenjimamma:

I am glad Susan has a potential family lined up..It just infuriates me to see somebody "throw away" a living thing because he is elderly..:(

That happened to my Mickii and Parry's Kaelii's Mom… her people decided it was too much trouble to take care of a senior (even if the sleep 90% of the time)... and we had to re-home her. What it really comes down to is they don't want to have to deal with death or having to maybe make the decision to help them over the rainbow bridge. Goods news was that Sadie lived another 2 1/2 yrs in a wonderful home before she went over the bridge

• @tanza:

That happened to my Mickii and Parry's Kaelii's Mom… her people decided it was too much trouble to take care of a senior (even if the sleep 90% of the time)... and we had to re-home her. What it really comes down to is they don't want to have to deal with death or having to maybe make the decision to help them over the rainbow bridge. Goods news was that Sadie lived another 2 1/2 yrs in a wonderful home before she went over the bridge

It's tough being the breeder or BRAT having to deal with something like this but you do because you're responsible. I would never ever of thought of getting rid of my previous three in their old age. They gave me a lot of joy over the years and getting rid of them at that point would have been an act of treason to the dog. I once told Karen at Medfy Basenji Rescue what's she's doing is impressive and she said no "it's depressing".

• I realy hope this old boy finds a nice kind home. Its absolutely unbelievable that someone could do this to what is in effect part of their family. Some people should just not have pets.:(

• Everyone can relax. Quinn is coming home to live with me. He will be a nice companion for my Classy who is the same age.There will be a nice extra large dog bed for him and Classy to share in the Kitchen.And, they both can come up to bed at nite.
    I'm sure my other B's won't mind a bit.

Kathryn D. Ladick
    Jaroufa Hounds
    Thundrhead@aol.com

• Wonderful Kathryn, I was about to step up but better he be your bed buddy than a 4th at my house. Mine are 9, 11 and 13, all going to be a year older in September & October and I feel they are in their prime! Sure, we have a few pills to take a couple of times a day, but they are wise and calm, very pleasant friends! I consider "old" to be 17 or so!

• Thats great news, i hope you have some good years together.

• Awesome Kathryn, hope the transition is smooth for the old guy.

• Houston

Very nice to hear Kathryn..

• That's great of you Kathryn! I am sure he will be very happy!

• That is brilliant news Kathryn , I hope the two oldies have have some wonderful years of companionship together, and the other B's don't mind too much.

• What good news Kathryn, how about a pic when you get him?

• I love my 'oldies' so much. There's no way I could treat a dog like that.

I really hope he finds a loving home soon.

• Oops! Just read the rest of this thread!
    Great news! 😃

Suggested Topics