Skip to content

Just discovered Basenjis today

Member Introductions
  • In my long pursuit to determine what seems to be a rather complex mix (not that most mutts aren't) of dog, I stumbled upon a picture of a Jack Russell/Basenji mix. It was cute and kind of resembled my dog so I looked up more breed info for Basenjis.

    I have always told people that I swear my dog was a reincarnated cat. My dog has many breed similarities with an Australian Shepherd but the cat stuff never really fit. He is very particular with people when he meets them and doesn't do well with cats and very small dogs. He didn't bark until he was a year old and lived with another dog for awhile. It isn't a yodel type bark though.

    While his ears are not Basenji and his color is similar to many breeds I was wondering what the forum thought. Perhaps Zaf? is 12% Basenji?
    attachment_t_6632_0_zaf-breed.jpg

  • Looks part Basenji to me. Whatever he is, he's adorable!!

  • He is very lucky to have found you.

  • I'm not really at pro at this…yet..but I think he might have some basenji in there somewhere. Welcome onboard, nice to have both of you here.

  • Welcome. Not really sure but could be I sure wish that traveling saleman would leave there business cards. Then we would know what our babies were. Who cares again welcome and heis a very handsome boy.

    Rita Jean

  • You can do the DNA test for about $60-70 with a cheek swab to know for sure. He is really, really cute and certainly could be part basenji. Welcome to the group.

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji

    Member Introductions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    If you click on the last icon with the arrow up icon, you can upload photos. They need to be in JPG format I think.
  • Basenji discovered!

    Member Introductions
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    No one has replied
  • My Basenjis

    Member Introductions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    P
    As mine age I try to keep a bit of weight on them because I know they may reach a stage when they just don't keep weight as the organs weaken.
  • Basenji mix?

    Member Introductions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    BasenjimammaB
    Welcome to the forum, he is purky cute..I can't really tell one way or the other..
  • We love our basenji

    Member Introductions
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    6k Views
    AndrewnShangoA
    Congrats on your adoption! You're def. helping the world of lost/abandoned pets…. Tell us more about your new pup!
  • Basenji tummy(!?!)

    Member Introductions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    S
    How is your dog doing now? What did your vet say.