Skip to content

Oil!

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Hello, one of my B's did a happy flip in a field of grass that happened to have oil spots in it and he is now looking like a red dalmatian…Any suggestions how I can get it off...? As any proud Basenji, a bath is out of the question...:)

  • Any degreaser will take it out… but I think that after that a bath would be in order

  • I agree with Pat - and the bath is definitely in order after the degreaser - hold the collar and bathe the dog whether it's appreciated or not!

  • You have some work ahead of you to get rid of that..degreaser is the way to go and then maybe a conditioning shampoo to restore the moisture in his coat. Fun stuff.

  • I tend to read a lot of the conversations in the B forums. I'm just a bit cautious conversing as I rarely have a clue exactly where I am.

    My Mango hasn't been feeling so good. Vomiting every or every other day. Recently started consistently eating grass (but he's a picky grass eater) and a few minutes later…yuck! :( His water drinking is inconsistent. We have been out of our routine for a week or so but his diet was consistent (I hope) until yesterday when I put him on boiled chicken and rice. He fake yawns quite often lately. It's strange. Today he chased his tail so fast he knock himself over. I almost gave him a benadryl as I thought he was having some kind of reaction. Mostly that's fun to watch...today...scary. He's going to his vet tomorrow. My heart breaks when he's not his B self.

  • I am so sorry to hear that Mango isn't feeling well. How is he handling the chicken and rice diet? I hope that the vet will have some amswers for ou. Keep us poted. If you want more responses, there is a section for health issues, post there, more peeps are going to see the thread there.

  • I would say use some dawn dish soap, as I believe that is what they use for the real oil spills in the ocean to get the oil off the birds and such.

  • exactly why i converse infrequently. i'm never quite sure where i am in these forums. it sure is fun to see all B lovers.

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    305 Views
    N
    No sore spots whatsoever - though his stomach is almost permanently "taut" or flexed, unless he's had his anti-inflammatory meds. He eats well and can go to the bathroom well, but as days pass his hind legs are getting worse and worse (to the extent I'm sure he'll just end up permanently lame if I don't anything more). I am praying/hoping/wishing that laser therapy can provide some assistance, as his one session of a few weeks back resulted in him being almost "back to normal" for about 4-5 days! If I can get another miracle result, I think I will look into multiple treatments until he seems better. This is such a stressful time, but I'm grateful for your condolences/suggestions - everything helps - thank you so much!
  • Hair loss

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    28k Views
    No one has replied
  • 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    26k Views
    N
    @Saving Thanks so much for the information! I am researching further and continuing with her rehab exercises as best I can. Glad you recovered from your spinal injuries.
  • Weight issue

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    10k Views
    tanzaT
    @Rebel - Full blood workup including full Thyroid panel (full panel no just what the normal vet workup that is not a full thyroid panel)... as they say make sure that he is in good health. Also what are you feeding him? How much total are you feeding a day? Also with reducing food, add veggies to his food to fill his belly... green beans are good to use... I use Cauliflower and Broccoli... Note also that low normal is typically too low for Basenjis.
  • Fish Oil and Pancreatitis

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    2baroos2
    The food is the same and he just had a check up with blood work-Thyroid the same and so is the pill dosage. I will give him a bath and rub some cream in his coat. Thanks for the help
  • Fish Oils/Fatty acids

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    6k Views
    BDawgB
    Awww, I'm sorry your doggie is "looking kind of lousy"…! :(