Looking to adopt a young basenji in Florida

• @sharronhurlbut:

Tanza wrote…Honestly, I wonder about the male, since they are dumping him at 3yrs...
    My question
    Isn't 3 yrs old the time frame that the fanconis starts to show up?

Yes, 3yrs they can start spilling, but I think that he was tested if he is Otis's sire. But I would wonder about the temperament… and consider this, I would not be 1/2 as against them selling him if he were already neutered... same with the bitch (being spayed).

• Houston

I do know that the dog in particular is Fanconi tested free and clear.

• Houston

I love my Otis dearly and always will. I now in retrospect wish I had done more research. I knew when I was looking for a B, to make sure it was from Fanconi clear parents, and I got that, but like I said in retrospect, I wish I would've known better.
    It really hit me wrong when in another thread, Tanza was "attacking" the BYB's, I have to admit, I wanted to so badly say what I thought about her…I didn't..boy am I glad I didn't. I thought for sure she had this one wrong, she doesn't know all of them, and she doesn't, but they are all in it for the buck and that she knew..
    Tanza, Thank you for opening my eyes up.

• Another reason that some breeders will dump young stud dogs is because they are the sire of all of their breeding females. So they look for a new stud dog that they can breed to all their females. It is cheapest for them to have one male that they use on on of their females.

• Sharon I have seen puppy mills and mess and smell and little cages and NO LIFE. Yes that is hell and more but the place we are talking about was not and is not like that at all. First CLEAN and second were not in little cages. While they may not need to have puppies again at LEAST they have the common smart to understand they had to many puppies. These puppies were very greatly LOVED and CARED. They did not just clean them up while for sale they were always clean. DO all you weight your puppies everyday from birth until several weeks old?????? To make sure they have gained the correct weight and are not lossing weight?
    The pens outside were clean and nice with tops so that they were safe and they had houses. While I myself would not and do not want mine staying outdoors that is me and my preference.
    They have also placed dogs in homes and they were not Basenjis. They have learned what it cost to have puppies like having kids when it was your first child did you know it all and never ever ever cut any cornor ever???
    Duke is clear and the reason Otis mother spoke with Mark was becuase Otis got hit by a car and he wanted to know if he was all right. Reason I know is beacuse I spoke with Mark and we were taking about several of the puppies and how they were and I told him about Otis. I also told him he was all right but Marks first word O MY GOD no. Everyone that got a puppy stays in touch and tell them about how they are and what they can do and how big they are. Your puppy mills do not want to hear from you.
    As far as the dog at Wayside Ways I looked on the web site he was not on there but they change dogs very often and they are closed on Monday and Tuesday so I cannot call and ask.
    I DO NOT CARE WERE (JAYCEE) CAME FROM. Jaycee is the most beautiful chestnut red and she is happy and loves people loves kids and babies and all animals bird,cat.dog she does not see anything different she loves everything to bad people are not like her.

Rita Jean

• I love my old dogs as well…even if I didn't breed them, having them in my house, even for a few years, makes the parting then they pass, well awful.
    I hope this young boy gets into a family home and isn't passed to another puppymill.
    I would love to see all these puppymills put out of business in my lifetime...

• Rita Jean, we all start somewhere with b's. BUT when you know better you do better.
    If your going to support folks like this, then its your choice.
    BUT why not support quality breeders next time?
    Reward the work and effort.
    JMO.

• I never said I support them not fair to say they are as bad as pupppymills. I have seen bad and those people in simple words should be shot. We have done Akita's for years and years and we have seen lots good and Bad like real BAD. You have said it here and now yourself Sharon. (When you know better you do better.) As I said they may not need to have puppies again but they know better and if you look at least they are doing better. While it still may not make them the number one dog breeder in Missouri at least they are doing better….....................................

Rita Jean

• About that WeBeDoggies place….I don't have a problem with someone rehoming retired breeding animals. I do have a problem with someone calling their own dogs "rescues". This is dishonest. I do not know the story leading up to WeBeDoggies obtaining Dazzle, Duke, and Mia but once WeBeDoggies got them it looks like they were used for breeding. If you own a dog and breed it while it's under your ownership it is NOT a rescue, period.

• While they may have came from a rescue I am not sure what I myself would have said while trying to find them a home. Again I am not standing up for them how ever they also have had to live and learn. Has anyone let them know that the dogs would no longer be called rescue. This is were all of you talk about education and making people understand here is a chance to get one CORRECT-RIGHT…....................

Rita Jean

• Responsible people do not "rescue" dogs and then breed them for profit… rescue is just that, finding a forever home... not making them cash "cows"... and then dumping them when they are not useful any longer. Doing better is not good enough.. doing it right is not about making money, it is about the breed, breeding health, well tested, socialized, well cared for pups that are part of the family from the beginning. Not raising them in kennel runs... Breeding dogs is a hobby, it is not a business... and as for "live and learn"... do that BEFORE YOU BREED, not during and after. Not hard to learn the right way... no need to breed 3 to 5 litters a year... there is no way that you can properly socialize that many pups, period.

And the answer to your question is "yes" I weigh my pups from the minute they are born, daily or 2x's daily if necessary. As do all responsible breeders... but they are also in the house, part of the family... not in a kennel... Sure there are many breeders that I do consider responsible and have kennel runs, but the litters are whelped in the house and the pups stay in the house... the dogs all get house time....

When this particular breeder joined the Forum they wanted to know about "how to cut costs"?... That is not keeping the best interested of the breed in mind

• @jbls:

We did extensive research on the breed and talked to several owners. I found several "interesting" stories online about how destructive they can be. But we think that this type of behavior is more related to ignoring them and not paying the necessary attention. Since we are looking to provide a 2nd chance to young Basenji (not a puppy that we can socialize from the beginning), we are looking for one that has not been traumatized. We are ready for occasional challenge ..believe me .. we have kids .. 🙂

I second what someone else suggested as an idea for finding a young basenji. Contact a responsible breeder as many times they have young show prospects that haven't worked out showing for one reason or another or even young finished basenjis. A great place to start to find a breeder is the Basenji Club of America's website. Many times if the one you contact doesn't have one available they may know of another breeder that does. Many consider retired show dogs "golden opportunity" basenjis because they come with some training and "usually" proper health testing.
    http://www.basenji.org/

I have 2 show dog retirees (both finished champions - 1 came to me as a 2yo, the other I got when he was 3). I highly recommend them as pets! 😃

• @tanza:

Responsible people do not "rescue" dogs and then breed them for profit… rescue is just that, finding a forever home... not making them cash "cows"... and then dumping them when they are not useful any longer. Doing better is not good enough.. doing it right is not about making money, it is about the breed, breeding health, well tested, socialized, well cared for pups that are part of the family from the beginning. Not raising them in kennel runs... Breeding dogs is a hobby, it is not a business... and as for "live and learn"... do that BEFORE YOU BREED, not during and after. Not hard to learn the right way... no need to breed 3 to 5 litters a year... there is no way that you can properly socialize that many pups, period.

And the answer to your question is "yes" I weigh my pups from the minute they are born, daily or 2x's daily if necessary. As do all responsible breeders... but they are also in the house, part of the family... not in a kennel... Sure there are many breeders that I do consider responsible and have kennel runs, but the litters are whelped in the house and the pups stay in the house... the dogs all get house time....

When this particular breeder joined the Forum they wanted to know about "how to cut costs"?... That is not keeping the best interested of the breed in mind

Pat I agree 100% with this. I find it a horrible thing to "rescue" a dog and then immediately put it back into "service" to attempt to make more money off it. Dogs that have been rescued from puppymill/byb situations deserve to become parts of families and give their bodies a break from all the litters previously…not continue to breed them in "cleaner" settings. Rescue them, spay/neuter and then give them a break...they've earned it.

• Houston

Rita Jean, I did not contact Mark because of the accident,. I contacted because of Otis CERF and the results from that CERF. Hopefully because of that conversation they will now also do eye exams..hopefully. I understand he learned about Otis' accident from you and he was genuinely concerned. I appreciate that.
    JBLS, I am sincerely sorry for your thread about adopting a B has turned this very wrong..in conclusion look somewhere responsible for your lovely B. I know you will find it and when you do, please let us know and see your lovely new family member.

• Yes, sorry we "hi-Jacked" the thread… There are many "needy" Basenjis out there.. I am sure you will find one for your family... there are lots of avenues to explore for your next family companion....

• I will agree to this there are lots of Basenjis waiting for a loving home and I hope you find that one special one for you family. Good luck and let all of us know.

Rita Jean

• Thank you everyone for your input. We'll do our best to find the perfect match. We'll keep you posted.

• Good luck finding your Basenji.

• BRAT has 2 people in this area looking to adopt basenjis, some came to dogpark Sunday to actually visit with basenjis (we had 13 Sunday at the park). The more, the merrier, they really look for the best fit for each dog. There are several breeders in the Ocala area who may have an older dog available, and there is a basenji rescue in Gainsville, FL where several of our friends have acquired basenjis. The right dog will come along! A great boy from Clearwater was recently adopted here through this Forum!

Good luck finding the right basenji for you!

• I don't know if this was said but even if there is not one listed in your state please apply. We have SEVERAL being boarded or in foster homes that have not made it to the site yet. I have a girl coming from Texas to Ohio today.

Suggested Topics