Nail clipping! (Dogs not mine!)

• Houston

I like to use the dremel very often so it become a natural thing we do…The dogs have a different opnion but that is a different story all in its own..
    Sometimes clipping the very tips works good, and then dremel the rest.

• Hehe, thanks for bumping the topic! I was just about to make a similar topic!

I have yet to get my Basenji, but I had made my mind up on using a grinder. I was not aware that this implied using a Dremel though. I always thought that the high speed would be uncomfortable to the dogs, and that there was a specific dog grinder tool.
    Guess I learned something new today.

I saw Ceasar Millar on the Dog Whisperer help a dog get used to the grinder, and I am deffently going to use that method. He had the dog relax (rubbing/petting), turned it on, let the dog relax again, and then turned the grinder upside down and used the back end (the battery pack) it to massage the dog. Rubbing it over the dog, and up and down his legs, and eventually his feet.
    After a while the dog enjoyed it, and it's face was truly relaxed. Then he started using the grinder on the nails, and the dog was not so frantic about it.

That is totally the approach I plan to do when I get my Basenji. I think I will also just use the grinder as a massage one in a while so it is not just associated with nail grinding. Hopefully, if it all goes according to planned, he will willingly lie down and let me grind his nails whenever he hears it…or her...no idea yet. 🙂

• @Gizmo:

I have yet to get my Basenji, but I had made my mind up on using a grinder. I was not aware that this implied using a Dremel though. I always thought that the high speed would be uncomfortable to the dogs, and that there was a specific dog grinder tool.

There are pet specific grinders available, but different Dremels have different low-end speeds. I have 2 Dremels (and always use them on the lowest speed)…one plugs in with a big range of adjustment speeds...but its low end speed is the same as the cheaper pet brands. I have a battery powered Dremel that has only 3 speeds...again the low end speed is the same as the cheaper pet brands. IMHO, I find it much easier to use the one that is battery powered. Oh, and like Pat said, I use the sanding bands.

• Houston

I have a dremel and a pedi-paws (the pet specific dremel), and I believe the dremel is a tad bit better…wish I would've known that before I spent the money. The pedi-paws in my opinion is weaker, and it draines batteries like a banshee. IMO

• I use a dremel on my B's, it has high or low speed, I always use the high speed. My dremel is battery operated so I use rechargeable batteries, it works well.

Mine are quite happy to cooperate as they know they will get a treat at the end of it!

• From what I researched what tanza said is how you determine. When we took Bella in on our wood floor in the sunroom you could hear her clicking. She also sounds like her paws are catching on the carpet. We walk several times a day on pavement but that doesn't seem to be wearing them down much. Someone else on the forum said puppies nails grow faster than when they get older. I am hoping that is true because I am not looking forward to the next time we have to do it.

• Houston

Yes, that is what my vets have always told me, regardless of what breed. Their claws should not be heard on the floor, then they are too long and need to be trimmed.

• @BlueBell:

From what I researched what tanza said is how you determine. When we took Bella in on our wood floor in the sunroom you could hear her clicking. She also sounds like her paws are catching on the carpet. We walk several times a day on pavement but that doesn't seem to be wearing them down much. Someone else on the forum said puppies nails grow faster than when they get older. I am hoping that is true because I am not looking forward to the next time we have to do it.

If you start doing them every week, it becomes second nature… and if you can only do one paw a day... start with that... I don't believe that they grow faster as puppies, but they are "sharper" which could make it seem like they grow faster.. And some grow faster then others... Much also depends on the foot shape. If they have well arched toes, then walking/running them on pavement or hard ground will wear them down easier then if they have flat toes

• @Gizmo:

Hehe, thanks for bumping the topic! I was just about to make a similar topic!

I saw Ceasar Millar on the Dog Whisperer help a dog get used to the grinder, and I am deffently going to use that method. He had the dog relax (rubbing/petting), turned it on, let the dog relax again, and then turned the grinder upside down and used the back end (the battery pack) it to massage the dog. Rubbing it over the dog, and up and down his legs, and eventually his feet.
    After a while the dog enjoyed it, and it's face was truly relaxed. Then he started using the grinder on the nails, and the dog was not so frantic about it.

That is totally the approach I plan to do when I get my Basenji. I think I will also just use the grinder as a massage one in a while so it is not just associated with nail grinding. Hopefully, if it all goes according to planned, he will willingly lie down and let me grind his nails whenever he hears it…or her...no idea yet. 🙂

Dremel actually makes a grinder specific for pets. I forgot where I got mine.. but here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-761-03-Cordless-Grooming-Rotary/dp/B0000C6DZ2
    The method you mention above is pretty much how I got my dogs used to it. Jazzy never did mind it, Keoki is still wriggly sometimes, but he doesn't like to be held so the whole process is an issue for him. He does just fine, but is not comfortable with it.

Suggested Topics