• A lot of breeders suggest a year old, because you can be sure the dog is done growing. There is some research out there that indicates neutering a dog prior to its growth plates closing can change the structure of the dog. And there is also some research that indicates neutering a pup before their urinary tract is fully developed can lead to problems later with urinary tract infections and blocked stones….but IMO (I'm no vet!) six months is adequate to prevent those issues in Basenjis. I feel it is important to neuter pet males before they get in the habit of urine marking everything in site. I am not an advocate of very early spay and neuter though (as in desexing at 8 weeks).

• I never had a problem with Joey humping anything nor urine marking. I got Joey when he was 10 months and he was not neutered as the breeder was showing him. The breeder did say not to neuter him until he was a year and fully grown. This is why I have waited. He may have humped at the breeder, but I have not seen him do it since we have had him. He meets other dogs, but has not played with them off leash (we don't have a fenced yard) so I don't know if that has anything to do with not humping or not. Maybe Joey was trained by the breeder not to or it's something else. Just dont't know.

• Here is a a link to a good article about why spay/neuter is best left until after a year old. It is from the perspective of those who do performance events with their dogs but explains the structural effects early spay/neuter has. http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

I have not found humping to be much of a problem niether with my male nor with my mom's two males. I also have never had a problem with urine marking. My boy was actually easier to housetrain than the girls and doesn't even like peeing in our yard.

• I have seen many dog moms grab their pups by the scruff with their mouth to correct or to travel 🙂 I've also read a dog training book that also uses this method if the dog is not on lead to make the correction.

The Dog Whisperer also does this with smaller dogs.

• OMG - Hope I didn't ruin him. He was over zealous and . . . well -embarrasing. Could have been the feisty terrier in him. Looks like from what I've read, including on other internet sites, 12 mos is the average recommendation due to growth. However, I thought no sooner than 6 mos of age and the sooner the better as it would be much easier on the dog.

What are "growth plates"?

• Thank you for the advice. It is a little embarassing to ask about this. The breeder stipulated this in the contract (waiting a year before neutering) because she wants to make sure he is fully developed.
    As for the marking and humping <argh>I guess i'll have to just see what happens. (crossing my fingers) :)</argh>

• My experience has been that most male basenjis just don't like to mark in the house….but other breeds often will. The humping is often age related, or play/relationship realted...but neutering does seem to take care of it at whatever age the dog is. Querk humped inappropriate things when he was around 12 weeks, maybe?...once he matured, he only humps inanimate things (namely blankets or pillows) when our girls are at the peak of estrous. And he only lifted his leg in our house once; when we were moving into a new house, he thought to give it a try...he was quickly reprimanded, and it never happened again.

• Growth Plates are the part of the bone where new growth takes place. These plates close as an animal reaches maturity. Growth plates are located on the ends of long bones.

• Joey was neutered yesterday. He also had his dew claw removed and was microchipped. He is moving a bit slowly today. The vet did all the surgery with laser and "sutured" with "glue" not thread. He is not on any meds. I feel so badly for him as he wimpers now and then and sometimes lets out a little yelp! I will talk to the vet today, but have any of you given pain meds for this type of surgery?

• I will talk to the vet today, but have any of you given pain meds for this type of surgery?

Not usually, but I have never done a dew claw removal..that might be quite painful…if the behavior continues I wouldn't hesitate to ask about it.

I hope he feels better soon!

• @JoeyQ:

Joey was neutered yesterday. He also had his dew claw removed and was microchipped. He is moving a bit slowly today. The vet did all the surgery with laser and "sutured" with "glue" not thread. He is not on any meds. I feel so badly for him as he wimpers now and then and sometimes lets out a little yelp! I will talk to the vet today, but have any of you given pain meds for this type of surgery?

JQ, we had three done this past Summer and the Vet gave us pain pills everytime.

• I remember asking for medication for pain when Duke had his surgery. I was told pain meds mask pain that would aid him in becoming active. So the theory is some discomfort is a good thing to help with the healing. I wasn't too happy with it. I then asked if I could give him Children's Motrin. They didn't think it would be necessary, but I got an OK. Just follow the weight based dosage on the label. I never did give him anything, because he was way too active without the Motrin.

I hope Joey will be feeling better tomorrow. I imagine the digit removal is the main cause of his pain and I do hope the vet will give him something. 😞

• @JoeyQ:

Joey was neutered yesterday. He also had his dew claw removed and was microchipped. He is moving a bit slowly today. The vet did all the surgery with laser and "sutured" with "glue" not thread. He is not on any meds. I feel so badly for him as he wimpers now and then and sometimes lets out a little yelp! I will talk to the vet today, but have any of you given pain meds for this type of surgery?

I had Max neutered at 6 months years ago (regular stitches), and they also removed his dew claws at that same time which required stitches also. When I went into the vet's office to pick him up, I thought he would hobble out in pain. He came charging out, jumping and running around like nothing had happened! He was not given any pain meds. The only thing that bothered him was wearing the e-collar afterwards. But he soon learned that it scared my older dog (who was the alpha)–and boy did he take advantage of that--running after her and shaking his head to get maximum advantage. He would even bump it up against the walls to startle her. But she got used to it after a couple of days, so Max's advantage was very temporary.

• @Duke:

I remember asking for medication for pain when Duke had his surgery. I was told pain meds mask pain that would aid him in becoming active. So the theory is some discomfort is a good thing to help with the healing.

Yes, Jill, I was thinking the same thing.
    Joey is feeling much spunkier today though!

BooBear…Joey did the same thing coming out from the vet's, but then crashed about 2 hours later. I imagine he had something on board for the pain and it wore off. He is doing much better today!

I had to laugh when the vet tech said to keep him on leash outside for 10 days. I replied, he is always on his leash outside. I'm not sure that she knows about the B500 which Joey resumed this morning. I think what she should have said was keep him on leash in the house!:D

• @JoeyQ:

@Duke:

BooBear…Joey did the same thing coming out from the vet's, but then crashed about 2 hours later. I imagine he had something on board for the pain and it wore off. He is doing much better today!:D

Right–I'm sure they still had something on board when picked up. I also forgot to mention that Max stayed overnight back then. But he never did crash--just kept picking up speed 🙂 Glad to hear that Joey is doing much better!

• [I had to laugh when the vet tech said to keep him on leash outside for 10 days. I replied, he is always on his leash outside. I'm not sure that she knows about the B500 which Joey resumed this morning. I think what she should have said was keep him on leash in the house!
    /QUOTE]

I laughed too when my vet told me the same thing…umm don't you mean INSIDE the house...yeah you must not know about B's LOL LOL 😃

• Hello to the most knowlegeable Basenji owners!
    We are getting ready to spay little Juma, and are wondering if females experience weight gain after? Our Norwegian Elkhound "porked" up a bit after her spay.
    Thanks for any advice.
    attachment_p_15786_0_juma-04-02-07-002.jpg

• @Duke:

Duke has his dew claws. I think they have to be removed at birth - too late for removal.

Duke can have them removed still is just under a different process-more like surgery. Sometimes they can cause problems and sometimes not-depends on how they hang, do they get caught often, etc.

• We are getting ready to spay little Juma, and are wondering if females experience weight gain after? Our Norwegian Elkhound "porked" up a bit after her spay.

Topaz did gain some weight so we cut down on her food but she still has remained a little on the round side. It shouldn't be too bad. Good luck Juma on her surgery.

• If you keep them active and feed them correctly, there should not be weigh gain just due to a spay….. As with all of them, as they get older and slow down you have to watch the calories....

Suggested Topics