• I was using vick's vapo rub and the menthol in that worked wonders too especially since it lasted awhile, except it slightly stained fabric. But tea tree oil is a natural product so probably better; I will have to look for it.

• FYI If you have cats, be very careful about using Tea Tree oil. (But it is great stuff!)

• I put a little on my hands and stroke Shaye's coat when we are camping - keeps mosquitoes off

• Make sure it's the real stuff. It's a bit expensive up here, but well worth it-a little goes a long way! Sometimes to further it I will mix a bit of olive oil in as well.

• @nomrbddgs:

Make sure it's the real stuff. It's a bit expensive up here, but well worth it-a little goes a long way! Sometimes to further it I will mix a bit of olive oil in as well.

It's the real stuff - I send off for it, and it is about $11 an ounce - good idea to thin it with olive oil - speaking of which, one time when my dog would not eat, I put a drop of olive oil in her food and mixed it up - somehow she thought she was getting ambrosia! Didn't have to do that next time, guess she thought it was still in there…...

• @Shaye's:

It's the real stuff - I send off for it, and it is about $11 an ounce - good idea to thin it with olive oil - speaking of which, one time when my dog would not eat, I put a drop of olive oil in her food and mixed it up - somehow she thought she was getting ambrosia! Didn't have to do that next time, guess she thought it was still in there…...

About what I paid as well.

• I'm definitely going to have to order in the US and send it to my po box in NY! I paid, I think about $34/oz here.

• Heh, well he started chewing on the other chair leg.

So I coated every single chair leg in my dining room with the tee tree oil (not completely, but enough for him to not want to chew chairs anymore).

We'll see how well it works. I figure the oil should soak right into the wood and he'll taste/smell it as soon as he gets close. He certainly stopped chewing the first chair leg.

My whole place smells of this oil now.

• I love Tea Tree oil. Sells for about $24 for a bottle (1 oz?) of the essential oil up here. My mother in law bought us a bottle as a gift about a year & a half ago and it's still over 3/4 full. It's good for many things; I use it all the time….and a little dab'll do ya!

I also bought a no-chew spray with tea tree oil in it; I think it's the same Odo-Ban product. Maroon bottle? It sounds like the same stuff- I sprayed it once and had it in my mouth & nose and kept tasting it for hours....yeccccch!! They ought to market it as a diet aid; my food tasted foul for the rest of the day & I didn't want to eat. 🙂

• Well… unfortunately that only deterred him from chewing on the areas he showed interest in previously. He decided to chew on the couch in another spot.

I'm trying to figure out what provoked this behavior. He has been fine for the last handful of months. This probably started within the last week. He has numerous toys out for him to chew on. The areas he's chewing on furniture are spots he usually likes to sit. I don't want to start crating him as he has a decent amount of crate anxiety. I fear he might hurt himself chewing/pawing at the metal wires constantly.

Any thoughts?

• It appears the chewing has stopped. He also doesn't take as long to do his business outside now. I wonder if all of that "behavior" was just a phase of some sort. He's an odd one, but then again, aren't all Basenjis? 😃

• @nomrbddgs:

I also use it in a combination of Lavender oil and citronella oil for tick and mosquito repellent!

I just tried this today and I have to say Ruby wasn't thrilled with the smell of the citronella oil :D:D:D:D. It kept the bugs off great though. Great tip!

• @nomrbddgs:

I also use it in a combination of Lavender oil and citronella oil for tick and mosquito repellent!

Do you put the combination directly on the dog?

• I put it in my hands and rub down the fur. Very simple and effective IMO. I haven't had any ticks on the dogs-except one-in two years of doing this.

• Ok great thanks! Mosquitos are everywhere in Texas. What would be good for dry skin? Any ideas?

• You could use the spray also. I mix it up in a bottle with a bit of olive oil and water to be able to mist it. You could also try adding eucalyptus oil as well.

• Akeyla - fish oil works good for dry skin and coat - feed as supplement or buy treats with fish in them.

• @wizard:

Akeyla - fish oil works good for dry skin and coat - feed as supplement or buy treats with fish in them.

+1

I use this a lot during the winter months. Makes a noticeable difference in their coat.

• Okay great! I'll try the fish oil. She is acting like she has fleas, but I know she doesn't so I'm guessing it's dry skin.

• What are you feeding her? Could be allergies to the food….

Suggested Topics