• 6 month old Bassit is in great health. We just got her checked out at the vet and all is well. This week though (about 3 days after we went to the vet…sigh) I noticed a little lump on her back by her tail. It doesn't hurt her at all, and it's not changing in size or anything. I'm going to get her checked out anyways, but I thought I'd ask...Are Basenjis prone to lumps like this? I know that certain breeds just seem to get them and they're nothing serious. If that were the case, at least it would arm me with a bit more information when I went to the vet.

Thanks!

• @sherryclarke:

6 month old Bassit is in great health. We just got her checked out at the vet and all is well. This week though (about 3 days after we went to the vet…sigh) I noticed a little lump on her back by her tail. It doesn't hurt her at all, and it's not changing in size or anything. I'm going to get her checked out anyways, but I thought I'd ask...Are Basenjis prone to lumps like this? I know that certain breeds just seem to get them and they're nothing serious. If that were the case, at least it would arm me with a bit more information when I went to the vet.

Thanks!

Just curious, but did she have her rabies shot and if so, is the bump possibly the site of where she had the vaccine? Brando got a bump on his leg where he had his rabies shot…but I kept massaging it and it went away in about 2 weeks.

• The same thing happened to Gossy when she got the lyme vaccine - except the bump was tender when touched.

• Keep an eye on it and let us know how it goes please.

• My B.'s rabies vacs are always given sub q between the shoulder blades, although I understand it can also be given IM, typically in the thigh.

A lump in the area you describe doesn't fit a vac site IMO. As sharron said, keep an eye on it. If it bothers you or your dog, a quick vet visit is in order.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

• Thanks everyone! Now I'm wracking my brain trying to remember where exactly her vaccines were. She got two in one day, and I preoccupied with holding her and giving her cookies! I keep rubbing it, and if anything, it seems a bit smaller, but I will absolutely let everyone know what happens next.

Cheers

Suggested Topics