Skip to content

Toilet training help!!

Basenji Training
  • sorry not a basenji but im having problem training my daxie x jrt to go to the toilet outside, we are going on holiday next month and my mum is looking after him but has said she wont if hes not trained to go outside.

    he goes to the toilet anywhere in the house he likes, especially on my carpet!! if i put him outside he runs about then comes inside and wee`s.

    any tips would be greatly appreciated

  • You have to go out with him, walk him until he goes, and then treat, treat, treat, with cheese, chicken, whatever is most special to him.
    You take him out every 2 hrs.
    Otherwise, when he is in the house with you, you tie him to you so you will know when he puts his nose down, and starts to sniff.
    Once he starts to sniff, you take hime outside, no matter WHAT your doing.
    It takes some time, but doing this each and every time will have him housebroken in no time.
    Also, you only use praise, no yelling at him when he messes in the house.

  • We have a daxie and she is 11 now and we still occasionally have offerings and puddles left around the place, so good luck with your toilet training!

    She is a standard wire and is just about the most stubborn dog I have come across, even more so than a Basenji!

    Steve.

  • He should never be unattended in the house. If you can not use a baby gate or ex-pen to keep him in the same room as you then use a leash tether. Anytime, he starts looking for a place, out you both go. Praise, Praise, Praise, everytime he does his business outside. If you can't watch him then he needs to be crated.

    Get a good routine going. Take him out when you first wake up, take him out 20 minutes after eating, take him out at play time. Don't let him come back in until he has gone and make sure you Praise, Praise, Praise so he knows when he gets it right.

    The more consistent and observant you are the more smoothly training will go.

  • this is a "funny" thread. Our Dachshund, Gus has actually stopped "having accidents" since we got Otis, or maybe more so since our two older dogs past away in march and in april..Gus is now the man on the pole so he had to step up to the plate and behave like the big man he is.

    I would agree with what is said, do not let him be loose in the house, and keep on walking him until he goes and praise, praise, praise.
    Our obedience trainer said to serve his food on the rugs he pees on so he gets the point that we don't pee here, this is inside, here we sleep and eat..

  • If you are not consistant in potty training, you will never get success…. and when there is an accident in the house... roll up that newspaper and "hit" yourself over the head... because you have not paid attention to the needs of the dog... It is an ongoing training... not just for a few days, a few times outside... and when you go out...you do not come in till they go....

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji training to help cops

    Basenji Training
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    Shaye's MomS
    Great they are finally being recognized. I watched a show a few months back where they were training Basenjis at airports to sniff out drugs and other contraband in baggage compartments. The B's do well because they are small, can step over all the piles of baggage and of course, have such great noses it comes easy to them to be trained for this work!
  • Alone training

    Basenji Training
    71
    0 Votes
    71 Posts
    49k Views
    AnetteA
    Just curious - have you tested the drug yet? How is it working? I take it you can read norwegian as you live her. If you want to, I can email you som info I got after a session with Gry L?berg regarding my Giants seperation anxiety, it has a training program in it, and some general info.
  • Training classes?

    Basenji Training
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    10k Views
    NemoN
    @tanza: I think you are waiting too long. You should have two complete sets of shots before class. Waiting till they are 15/16wks you are missing critical socialization skills. Waiting for "all the shots" is pretty much old school these days. My pups go out even before that to things like lure trials… you just need to be careful and not let them "get" into anything like "old poop" laying around. I'm planning on taking her around the time of the 2nd shots if I can. But the problem is that the next round of puppy classes doesn't start till the last week of March, which would be around 14 weeks anyway. Maybe they will let me join the last half of the previous class but I'd have to check into that.
  • Training a puppy

    Basenji Training
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    Robin_n_JackR
    HA! We did the up& back method at my petsmart class. Jack is so flexible, he would actually follow the treat back with his head, until his head was almost lying on his back. I think what I finally had to do was push his butt down with one hand, while holding the treat in front of his face with the other. He got really good at it…now, he sits when I snap my fingers, when I say sit, or, my favorite, when I salute him. Good luck!
  • Please Help! Crate training 5yo

    Basenji Training
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    6k Views
    ChristyRutherfordC
    I have a 5yo BRAT boy that I am working on crate training. He would "explode" and freak out when I would try it. I then got a carrier (more den like than the wire crate) and put it in his "room". The first week, I left the door open. Then I started giving him treats by it, then inside it. Now, the only place he gets the "high value" treats is in his crate. I have left him in there for a little bit and he didnt "explode"- so it is slowly working. But with our older B's it takes more time. Get a soft bed or comfy blanket for it and some great treats (turkey, cheese, something really good) and only let her have them in there. good luck
  • Help with socialization

    Basenji Training
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    10k Views
    nomrbddgsN
    I've had to retrain a pug and a chihuahua not to bite me when clipping their nails. The pugs' nails were left to grow and ended up growing into the pads of the foot. The vet wanted to put the dog to sleep to trim the nails. She now lets me trim the nails-with a dremel-without trying to bite. The Chihuahua was put under to trim it's nails before I had it. It took me six weeks to just touch it's feet, but after that we were able to move very quickly and cut it's nails within a few weeks. It does take a lot of time-but it's worth it.