• I was looking through the gallery and also after seeing Seelenfreund's new pups, I was wondering about colors. Red and whites seem most common with tricolors and brindles second. But I don't see as many black and whites. Is this true or just a fluke (I didn't do an exact count just an impression as I looking through pictures)?

• Black and Whites and Brindles are probably about equal in popularity right now. It is also relatively easy to avoid these colors as a breeder if you do not like them because they are dominant traits so it takes one to get one. Red is the color most often seen and for some people the only color they really think of as being "basenji". Tri was the second color and is the second most popular. It is recessive so unless you are breeding Tri to Tri there is no garuntee that you will get a Tri in the litter though.

• HI
    well in europe the red/white was and still is the most common and most wanted colour. The brindles are second, they became very popular since the colour is recognized 8 years ago. the tricolors and the black/whites are the less popular colours over here, i dont know why, it is a matter of personal taste I guess. I like the tricolors best by the way 🙂

• To me it seems to run in "groups".. the colors… When I first started in Basenjis, you were hard pressed to find anything other then a Red in the show ring... Over the last 2/3 yrs, we have had shows that everything was Tri... with maybe a red or two thrown in, along with a Black & White and/or Brindle....

• We had red basenjis for years, now we have 2 tris and a black and white. I have to admit, at first I thought the black and white just wasn't, well, REAL basenji. Having lived with Topper for a wonderful 12 years now I LOVE black and whites, they catch my eye first and I think a shiny black and white is stunning.

Here in Tampa, our dog play group has as many tris as reds, 1 brindle and 2 blacks. A photo where reds outnumber tirs is rare!

Actually, I love them all!

• I figured it was just because everyone knows the red/whites are prettiest.

😛

• In sweden R/W has been the most popular colour then Tri but lately there has been a boom of B/W especially as our most successful basenjis lately have been B/W first father and now his son:)
    My favourite is R/W or good Tri with enough white to lighten it up.

• @myran:

In sweden R/W has been the most popular colour then Tri but lately there has been a boom of B/W especially as our most successful basenjis lately have been B/W first father and now his son:)
    My favourite is R/W or good Tri with enough white to lighten it up.

My favorite is Tri with very little white…:)

• Noooo look at Blade or Madahiro Re they look gorgeous then how they move or in Madahiro Re´s case moved but in the photoes they sure were handsome:D

• @tanza:

My favorite is Tri with very little white…:)

NOT KNOCKING THE TRIS….just explaining my own preference!!!

While I still think they are stunning dogs, the tri is my least favorite color.

The reason I don't care for the tri is that it has too much of a dobie look --Oddly enough, my favorite dog has always been the black doberman.

I like a more, hmmm, unique look as opposed to one that resembles anything else. So my favorite B color is r/w, followed by brindle, followed by b/w, and then tri.
    But they are all beautiful.

• True all Bs are beautiful… because they are bs. But its ok to have a preference.
    I'm a BW girl... with no white on face, and splashy white on the neck. Those lovely dark liver Brindles follows BW..esp since I have a little brindle girl. 🙂 Tris can be rockin. Reds are last, a little too "common" of a color for me.

• what about this one? 😉

• I love all b colors….
    The tri above is lovely to me.

• @ibi_n_sane:

what about this one? 😉

Ohhhh, think how much prettier he'd be if he were a red/white!! :p

Just kidding; he's beautiful!

• The cool thing about a black and white or a tri is that you can get a beagle to match (that is if you accidentally wind up adopting a beagle…) Of course, you can (if you are lucky) wind up with one that matches a red too.:) See below - Beegin the b and Brady the lemon/white beagle (Brady is my who-would-ever-give-you-to-a-shelter-pup who obviously moved in with Beegin into a place in my heart)

• sorry I didn't attach the pic correctly in the first post
    attachment_p_58249_0_oct-2008-beegin-and-brady-057-bf.jpg

• @PhocoenaGirl:

The cool thing about a black and white or a tri is that you can get a beagle to match (that is if you accidentally wind up adopting a beagle…) Of course, you can (if you are lucky) wind up with one that matches a red too.:) See below - Beegin the b and Brady the lemon/white beagle (Brady is my who-would-ever-give-you-to-a-shelter-pup who obviously moved in with Beegin into a place in my heart)

Cute pic! And how fun that they match!

If I were ever to get a tri, I suppose I'd have to get a black dobie to match.
    Hmmm, something to think about. :rolleyes:

• I love all the colours, but the reds give me a true basenji feeling, especially because the wrinkles are so visible.
    Besides the colour, I really like it when the markings are symmetrical. Same height of the socks, collar all around or no collar at all.. Not too much white.. That sort of things 😉

• @Janneke:

I love all the colours, but the reds give me a true basenji feeling, especially because the wrinkles are so visible.
    Besides the colour, I really like it when the markings are symmetrical. Same height of the socks, collar all around or no collar at all.. Not too much white.. That sort of things 😉

This is exactly what I think! I love reds! All of my dogs (shar pei and dane) are red (well actually red fawn w/black masks).

• Red/white is my favorite (even though my current one is a tri) but I do like it when there's a lot of white on the other colors. Something about the contrast I think.

Suggested Topics