• Hi guys,

I know you all are very experienced when it comes to things like this so I wanted to ask your opinions…

I'm doing my research to add a second basenji, this time a puppy, for Shango to have a playmate. He really loves other dogs and hasn't ever had an issue with other dogs. (And we were in a dog barkery where they are always coming in and out).

I've been in touch with a breeder in MI (Worrywort Kennels) about initial steps of securing a pup and she suggested a female puppy.

Is this true? Does a Male/Female pair work better than two males? Shango is a 2 year old male now and I thought I'd like another male but if that will be problematic, I'd love to hear!

• Yes, it is typical that the best combo is male/female in 90% of the cases… and really you would be better off going with the usual considered best fit of male/female. However, the breeder will usually pick the pup that best suits the home and the situation. The breeder is the one that has raised the litter, observed their temperaments and if the one that can best judge what fits in what family. With my pups, people can't just come in and "pick" a pup, unless there might be two that would be equal... not often that happens.

• Might I also say that the breeding that they did with Boo and Stitch.. should be an outstand litter. There is of course the chance that there will be Carriers in the litter (Boo clear and Stitch carrier) but no Fanconi…. Stitch comes from a wonderful line of great temperaments...

• @tanza:

Yes, it is typical that the best combo is male/female in 90% of the cases… and really you would be better off going with the usual considered best fit of male/female. However, the breeder will usually pick the pup that best suits the home and the situation. The breeder is the one that has raised the litter, observed their temperaments and if the one that can best judge what fits in what family. With my pups, people can't just come in and "pick" a pup, unless there might be two that would be equal... not often that happens.

Thank you very much for the information!

• Glad to help… and fingers crossed that the breeding takes.. one of those pups might just wind up here on the West Coast....

• Male/female is the usual choice, but 2 boys (neutered) can be great together, best buddy boys. But as Pat said, go with your breeders recommendations and you can't go wrong!
    Anne

• Thh only thing you have to keep in mind that girls go into heat which can be a hassle whining male having to guard and often separate them during the critical period.
    I have several basenji friends that have 2 even 5 boy´s and it works as they are of different ages puppies are integrated in to the pack when they are less then 12 weeks.But it takes a strong leader males rarely fight to kill more to show who´s the leader and when the other gives up they calm down not so with females they can be really nasty.
    Are you going to show them and maybe in the future breed then yes a girl but if not i´d choose a boy as it´s cheaper to neuter a boy then sterilize a girl.Especially as you have to let her have one heat before surgery maybe it´s different over there.And as I said before you can have boy´s together that aren´t neutered.But as they´ve mentioned before go with your breeders recommendations.

Good Luck,Michelle

• @tanza:

Might I also say that the breeding that they did with Boo and Stitch.. should be an outstand litter. There is of course the chance that there will be Carriers in the litter (Boo clear and Stitch carrier) but no Fanconi…. Stitch comes from a wonderful line of great temperaments...

I completely agree. I can't wait to see the pups from that litter. Boo also is a super sweet bitch, and comes from really sound temperaments. I really don't think you could go wrong getting a puppy from this litter…and yep...in my personal experience it always works better to get the opposite sex.

• @myran:

Thh only thing you have to keep in mind that girls go into heat which can be a hassle whining male having to guard and often separate them during the critical period.
    I have several basenji friends that have 2 even 5 boy´s and it works as they are of different ages puppies are integrated in to the pack when they are less then 12 weeks.But it takes a strong leader males rarely fight to kill more to show who´s the leader and when the other gives up they calm down not so with females they can be really nasty.
    Are you going to show them and maybe in the future breed then yes a girl but if not i´d choose a boy as it´s cheaper to neuter a boy then sterilize a girl.Especially as you have to let her have one heat before surgery maybe it´s different over there.And as I said before you can have boy´s together that aren´t neutered.But as they´ve mentioned before go with your breeders recommendations.

Good Luck,Michelle

In the US, price is usually the same for a spay as it is for a neuter…. and usually people opt to spay before the first season in the US.

Suggested Topics