• I'm thinking of having some remodeling done and was considering adding a doggie door. I've read through a previous thread on doggie doors ("doggie doors - experiences/opinions") for all the pros and cons people have offered. I've found some that lock so that EL D would only have access while I'm home. My questions -
    1. how do those patio door ones work - do they narrow up the patio door (the patio door no longer opens fully because of the insert, correct)?
    2. what size accomodates basenjis?

• I have a door that the doggie door was already there, it is great. Before this one I had the regular doggie door that you insert yourself, and that was fine also but we needed a new back door so I opited for the one already attached. I have underground fencing in my yard so my dog has access to the yard at all times. I wouldn't suggest one if you are living near a woods or area that has small animals running around, some had said that critters do come in if you live in such an area. I have not had that problem, I live in town.

• You are right about the doggie doors that install in sliding glass doors, they reduce the total opening area of the door. However, they are easily removable, if you decide you don't want it there anymore, or are moving, etc. I don't have one, but have seen them at work in the past. Pretty cool, and doesn't require major hole in a door!

• @EskiLovr:

You are right about the doggie doors that install in sliding glass doors, they reduce the total opening area of the door. However, they are easily removable, if you decide you don't want it there anymore, or are moving, etc. I don't have one, but have seen them at work in the past. Pretty cool, and doesn't require major hole in a door!

Yup, I have that kind too… and love it... however, I also have one in the wall in the laundry room, which honestly, I like better.... There are a number of different ones/sizes... I will give you the measurement of the one we have when I get home today (Flap size) and also see if I remember where I ordered it (It was on line)

• Dh and I were just looking at some sliding glass door with the dog door built in at the bottom. They don't affect the size of the door at all. Of course, they are permanent, but I plan to always have dogs anyway, so…

I've been bugging him for years to get a dog door for our sliding glass door and I think seeing those has got him convinced. Hopefully soon.....

• We love having a dog door, ours are not escapers and they can come and go in and out as they please whether we are home or not. We used to have a very flimsy one and on several occasions rodents came in, but we got one with heavier vinyl and magnest, so that the flaps stay closed and take a tiny bit of effort to open and haven't had rodents since. A raccoon or oppossum could come in if we lived in the country, but we are citi-folks so it hasn't been an issue. I love that if a dog has to go potty at 3 am, they just get up and go then comne back to bed!

The down side is that they may have an upset tummy and I don't even know it for a few days. Also my dogs don't know how to 'ask' to go out when we are on vacation, I have to remember to walk them regularly and before bed!

Anne in Tampa

• The only time that we had a problem with coons was when our cat was alive.. we had a kitty door for him.. and Ted was always leaving his food down… and the coons would come in... but never had a problem with the dog doors, but then there is never any food down... that and motion lights do the trick on critters....

I also know if mine have a upset problem... but then I am a complusive person about pickup up the yard after them.. 2 or 3 times a day....

Since I trave lots with mine to shows... walking was pretty much a common thing... and not a problem..

I am surprised Anne? mine would still sort of ask? They would go to the door of the room and nose around looking for a doggy door...

• Thanks for the tip about the patio-doggie door - I'll have to look for one of those.

Suggested Topics