• In Southern California in the spring/early summer there is something that seems to cause these break outs. My mom has one boy that broke out in bumps and another breeder had one do the same thing. It is always at the same time of year but no one is quite sure what it is.

My mom usually wipes down the dogs with a damp wash cloth when they come in from walks this time of year to help keep any pollen or other allergen they may pick up off of them.

• Janneke, would you classify Tillo's outbreaks as acute or chronic? I only ask because all I have read indicates that a 4-6 week singular outbreak indicates allergic reaction to an environmental/contact allergy. Beyond that, it's considered a autoimmune allergy. How is Tillo being treated? Acute or chronic??

Forgive me if I have overstepped the courtesy bounds, but I know you are in Vet Medicine and wonder how you feel about various medicinal therapies.

Extended Pred. therapy, even for just a few weeks, can be lethal for a pet when a pet owner doesn't follow the very specific Rx instructions for reduction. I have friends that haven't reduced according to therapy/Rx to "save cost" on the reserved pills. How risky is this?

• Chance seems to be a lot better this morning (although I said that a few mornings ago too). I gave him 1/2 a Loratadine tablet last night and so far so good. I've given him more Apis Mel this morning so hopefully when I get home from work he'll still be OK. We bathed him in warm water with a little lavender oil a couple of days ago. I think that helped a bit.

• The outbreaks are acute and he is treated acute. He doesn't get prednisone now. The injections he got where 'depots' for three weeks. I don't like the idea of a depot, but that was what the vet gave at the moment. I spoke to a dermatology veterinarian at the University and he said I could try antihistamine to prevent the outbreaks, but if it is something seasonal and the antihistamine doesn't work (which is often the case with dogs), he wouldn't mind giving a dog prednisone for a couple of weeks a year. Not as an injection though.

About exactly how risky it is not to follow the instructions for reductions, I can't answer that. It will prob. depend on the dosis and the length of time it has been given. But I think it is not wise not to follow these instructions.

I was wondering what you mean by an autoimmune allergy.

• Difficult for a lay person to describe but from what I've been told an internal stimuli that triggers the urticaria. Some viral infections, certain thyroid problems, and even estrus can trigger the hives or lumps.

I guess endogenous as opposed to exogenous is closer to what I was trying to say, but it was related to me as an autoimmune as the histamines appear to get over reactive due to an internal problem, and attack the receptors in the mast (?) cells of the skin.

I know I've probably mucked up that explanation:o but there it is.

• I'm glad to hear all is well now…that must have been more than a little nerve wracking...

• ah! My Basenji Jack has those very same hives! He was out on the deck late sunday afternoon..made a yelp and later that night did the crazy agitation thing and broke out in hives! I gave him Benadryl and it ididn't seem to do much. The next morning he went to the vet and got a shot and I am now following up with ~30 mg of benadryl every 8 hours…poor guy!

• Houston

Poor Jack, what did the vet think he got? Some type of sting?

Suggested Topics