• Congratulations, they look so sweet… born innocent! This too shall pass, LOL, soon they will be cute little beasties and we will still love them anyways!!!

• Congrats Arlene!!! Glad the waiting is finally over and everyone can relax. Enjoy them now while they're "easy". lol And don't forget to share lots of pics!

• Congrats!!! Beautiful pups!!! I love the boy! 😃

• Congratulations!!!!! Your babies are beautiful!

Pat

• Thank you everyone. Thank you Lisa for posting the pics, along with my roadkill pics! Aren't they lovely? So here's how it went.

She started at about 10:50 am with the water, it took her about 15 min to pass it through the canal, and she did break it herself (good girl). I was on tenterhooks as I hadn't done this in about 20 years or so. Sue got there just as the action was starting. Tri girl #1, 8 oz, was very tight. Sugar thrashed a bit, tried to bite (typical, it hurts), but once we got a hand on the puppy and got it over the belly she was okay (all were feet first). While we were cleaning up #1, she was in the box having #2 red girl, 8 oz. then she took a little rest, the puppies nursed a bit, and then we returned to having more puppies. #3 red boy, 9 oz, took a little bit more from her, and then #4 red boy 8 oz. was the final. It went pretty quick. After we tied the cord on the one boy, she went back and chewed it a little closer, should be okay though. She's definitely a cleaner. She pretty much stays with them in the whelping box. They all seem to be nicely marked, but one #4 has a small dot of colour inside his white collar.

• The most amazing thing that I find with the white, is that it stays the same size… so when you think that you have a blaze on the face... turns out to be nothing but a thin strip or nothing at all.... same with the collar.....

So that "dot" inside the white collar will get bigger...ggg

• @nomrbddgs:

They all seem to be nicely marked, but one #4 has a small dot of colour inside his white collar.

There are lots of basenjis with spots of color in their collars. Most owners find them endearing. Arubmec's Sweet Spot got his name because of the spot in his collar. Nicky has a large spot of color in his collar, we call it his Georgia Peach.

I thought the "road kill" pictures were cute.

• I really do like them all. The markings are nice on all of them, pretty uniform for the most part. It will be hard deciding which one to keep. I know the tri girl is gone, but I have some others that wanted a tri as well. I know I wanted a red, but now I don't know boy or girl! His spot is pretty big now in comparison to his size, so I'm not sure if it will get bigger or the white will overtake most of it. The have some pretty interesting faces as well. At the end of the week, I will post pics of them and their faces too.

• The white stays the same size, the colored spot will get bigger.

• Congratulations! The wait was worth it!

Since the tri girl is spoken for, I think my next choice would be the red girl, or maybe the #3 boy… oh, heck, keep them all!!

Terry

• Congratulations to your litter well worth waiting for:D
    Aaah which one to choose???Well wait til they?re atleast 8-9 weeks and forget about the markings it?s their anatomy,movement and mentality that will be the most important factors.If their markings aren?t totally of then they are insignificant although I prefer if the white doesn?t go to high on their backleg?s as it gives an illusion of having a long hock( not sure if it?s the correct term) as it should be set quite low but other then that a good judge should disregard markings apart from mismarkings that is.
    Anyway good luck i?m sure that in the end you will make the right choice;)

• @Terry:

Congratulations! The wait was worth it!

Since the tri girl is spoken for, I think my next choice would be the red girl, or maybe the #3 boy… oh, heck, keep them all!!

Terry

Mmmm, yeah. That's what the girl that lives with me said. Keep them all. I'm not sure which one I will choose. Judges up here tend to look at certain things and not others which I feel would be important-such as movement over colour. I've been to the back of the bus more times because of colour or faces. The one has a very dark mask, which I don't care for personally. I know of at least 3 judges who would pick placement of colour, including the spot, over movement. It will be between the one red girl and the one red boy without the mask, unless the other turns out better. I just don't know yet. I do have a household of girls though as will. I'll be evaluating as best I can as we go along. If I really like one overall, then colour will be disregarded, but right now, all I can look at is colour. Ahh well, I have lots of time to decide. Maybe I will keep them all! Hah, not likely!

• Masking doesn't stay 99% of the time. It is really known in the Zuri bloodline (Ken and Marilyn Leighton) and while heavy masked at birth, not so by 6 months… but usually beautiful red coats.....

• The mask will disappear, probably by 8 weeks, so I wouldn't take it into consideration. In my experience, it is best to just enjoy the pups and not even try to evaluate them until they are close to 8 weeks. 🙂

• Unless the parents have the gene for masking meaning they themselves are masked the mask will fade as Pat says by 6 months but leave wonderful dark pigment on nose and eye rims.

Here is a pic of Heart from my first litter at 4 weeks with masking.

Here she is as an adult.

Bella in my current litter has masking.

So did her half sister Shirley and you can see how Shirley matured at the bottom of this page, http://kensetbasenjis.homestead.com/MartyKids.html
    attachment_p_59726_0_hearthalloween.jpg

• Thanks for all the input. I will be waiting then and then evaluate on movement and structure. They are all sooo cute. Thanks again everyone for the input and good wishes.

• I alwasy look at 4 weeks and then 8 weeks. There was one litter where - when anyone saw the pups - it was always one pup that was 10 out of six. It was always - "…..and here's Mo." At about 7.5 weeks I looked outside in the yard and went - wow who was that - I bundled the pups up and went to my mentor and told her I wanted her to see something - let out the pups - and she said 'wow - who is that". So instead of being in a pet home in Duluth - I sent up his brother who had more flash and dash and kept the one that was no ones pick until 8 weeks.

He finished and turned out to be quiet a handsome boy with solid movement and strucuture.

• Had a scare last night with Sugar. When I got home from work, she didn't look good. She's really skinny anyway and I keep upping her food. I noticed she had really runny poop and looked like she was straining. Her eyes were dull, but her temp was only 100.1. It's been running around 99.7 anyway. After I watched her awhile I phoned Sue. (I'm sure she was really happy to have me call her at midnight) She told me to give her some milk and an egg. She said she had never had a bitch with low calcium, but she had heard some that had. I gave her the milk and within 10 min she was laying with the puppies and looking a little more comfy. She still is runny this am, but it's not as runny. Hopefully this will clear up. Just thought I'd let you know.

Anyone know what else I can give her to keep her calcium up and how much? I know yogurt is good, but at this point-how much?

Also 5 day old pics Kind of crappy, but I'm getting better with the new camera:

• The pups are adorable!! I hope really hope Sugar is doing better today. Keeping fingers crossed that this was just a little bump in the road and everything goes smoothly from this point on.

Pat

• Still not good-bad stomach cramps. I've called someone else in to get an opinion as well since I am the only one really seeing her.

Suggested Topics