• I want to express my concern to everyone in the hopes that this doesn’t happen to your little furry family member.
    This past weekend we took Chance lure coursing up in Northern California. We took Kiya along for some practice runs as well. It got really hot mid afternoon and I didn’t realize the concrete from where we were parked to where the races were was hotter than hell. Kiya burned the pads of her paws really bad. Surprisingly she didn’t exhibit any discomfort that entire day so I had no idea she burned herself until the following morning. When we woke up Kiya was limping really bad. I immediately thought she injured herself. I checked her paws for any thorn or puncture wound, called anyone and everyone in the B world. We couldn’t find anything! After a few hours of watching her she didn’t improve and I could tell she was in pain so I called the vet and took her in. The vet examined her and said she had no thorn in her paw and she didn’t break any bones and that she may of just stained her leg. They gave us some pain meds and told us to come back in 3 or 4 days if the symptoms persist. As soon as we returned home Chance was limping just like Kiya. Alex and I couldn’t figure out what the heck was going on. We thought maybe Chance was trying to get attention by acting like her. (Ya never know with a Basenji)
    We took him upstairs and checked his paws to see if maybe he had a thorn in it. After cleaning the entire paw we could see these circular burn marks all over his front and back paws. We then washed Kiya’s paws and saw the same markings on her paw pads. Both our little babies have burned the bottoms of their paws!!!!! Kiya had quite a few burns on her front paws which explains why she was walking oddly.
    The vet never even cleaned Kiya’s paws!!! If she would of washed them you would of immediately seen it. I love how an emergency visit rules nothing wrong with your pup when in fact there really was something wrong! Im debating going back and making a big scene and demanding a freaking refund!!!!! gggggrrrrrr
    Now comes the hard part….keeping their feet clean and trying to apply ointment so they can heal. FUN!!!!! Try putting socks on a Basenji....yeah right! Hahahaha
    More than likely we will e-collar the two of em the next few days so they won’t be able to lick their paws.
    I’ve decided to take Kiya in to see her vet tonight just to make sure she is ok. At least I know her vet will give her the attention she deserves.
    Please be mindful of the hot pavement this summer. I really don't want this to happen to your little one.

• Great reminder for us all during the summer months Vanessa.

I am lucky with my pups as I am a bit of a hippie and don't like to wear shoes in the summer. So if it's too hot for me I know I need to carry the kids over the concrete to the park. 😃

• There is a tea tree oil ointment available. I bought it at my local coop and use it to keep the dogs from licking ointment off. I have also mixed a small amount of tea tree oil into neosporin to keep them from licking.

Also, a heads up, Nicky ran his feet raw when he was about 14 months old and had gotten free chasing a cat. His feet healed up fine in about a week but his pads have always been more tender than the girls.

• Not just concrete, but asphalt especially, and even sand , can got hot enough to really be painful for those little paws. We are very careful here in Fl in the summer, thanks for the warning for us humans who have on thick shoes to protect us.

Anne in Tampa

• @lvoss:

There is a tea tree oil ointment available. I bought it at my local coop and use it to keep the dogs from licking ointment off. I have also mixed a small amount of tea tree oil into neosporin to keep them from licking.

Also, a heads up, Nicky ran his feet raw when he was about 14 months old and had gotten free chasing a cat. His feet healed up fine in about a week but his pads have always been more tender than the girls.

Thanks Lisa.
    I used tea tree oil on their paws last night to give em a good cleaning. Man you should of seen the way they reacted. The smell 😃 Chance started rolling around all over the place. It was quite a funny sight to see.
    However I did read that you should never use tea tree oil on cats. Apparently it has adverse affects on them and could potentially harm them.

• Tea Tree oil is a wonderful thing but very toxic to cats (if you have any).

Thanks for the reminder about the hot out there Vanessa

• Just wondering, how do you keep the tea tree oil or other treatments off the floors and furniture? (We have 'free range' B'.'s)

Vanessa, good post, thank you.

• @snorky998:

Just wondering, how do you keep the tea tree oil or other treatments off the floors and furniture? (We have 'free range' B'.'s)

Vanessa, good post, thank you.

I was having the same problem too. When I applied the tea tree oil I rubbed it in really good and kept em off the furniture for a few minutes. I am debating making basenji booties tonight where I can put some intensive cream on their paws tonight and let it absorb while they sleep. That should be interesting :rolleyes:

• @Vanessa:

I was having the same problem too. When I applied the tea tree oil I rubbed it in really good and kept em off the furniture for a few minutes. I am debating making basenji booties tonight where I can put some intensive cream on their paws tonight and let it absorb while they sleep. That should be interesting :rolleyes:

I'll be sure to take pics for everyone to see. :o

• LMAO!! I have a picture in my mind of 'senjis in little Wellingtons like the pig that was recently in the news.

For all that missed it, see pics at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1025428/Pig-Boots-The-worlds-porker-afraid-mud.html

• Yeah, thanks for bringing this up…i forget sometimes too when I put Tosca outside to lay in the sun on our deck 🙂 I've gotten better, though, and always make sure I put down a towel or deck chair pad for her to lay on rather than the hot deck!

• The pig in boots picture – ha ha ha ha.

• Yes, people tend to forget about the pavement and their dogs paws… I think we have other posts about walking on the street and/or sidewalks in the summer..
    Vanessa, glad that you figured out what it was.... I didn't even think to ask you about that when you called... especially since you said that you couldn't see anything...
    Hope she recovers quickly and Chance too
    And good luck with the booties.... I would say chances are slim to none.

• UPDATE
    We just returned back from the vet and it looks like she will heal with no problems. The vet gave me some paw wax and said not to worry about bandaging up her feet. Basically she needs to toughen up her pads since they are so delicate. (I have to admit…they are pampered) LOL
    Thankfully she is going to be fine..I was really concerned since I entered her in a show this upcoming weekend. I thought I would have to stay home.

• Just remember to "pamper" her with the road or sidewalks… if you think that the pads will be able to manage that for more then a short time... I can tell you, it doesn't happen.... especially in the heat of the day.... she might not burn them again.. but it still is way to hot to walk on for any longer then a few minutes....

Suggested Topics