Skip to content

Basenji Heat Tolerance?

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • My basenji loves the summer heat here in Florida, 90-100 days. She enjoys lying outside on the driveway. If she gets too hot she moves to a grassy area in the shade. She is outside most all day although she has access to the house via her doggie door.

  • Now that it's warming up here in Seattle (almost 90!), I'm finding out how Ziggy and Zhara deal with the heat. They go for the "conservation of energy" approach - laying around in the coolest part of the house and not moving very much. Do other people find that their Bs become pretty inactive or lethargic when the weather is warm?

    Lori

  • We're headed to Az for the 4th where the temps are 119 now. Chey and Apache always take it easy there. They get their morning walk when it's about 90 but after that they lay inside most of the day with short outings onto the covered patio. I've tried to convince them the pool is great for cooling off..but they aren't at all interested…imagine that.:rolleyes:

  • @ZenGrrrl:

    Now that it's warming up here in Seattle (almost 90!), I'm finding out how Ziggy and Zhara deal with the heat. They go for the "conservation of energy" approach - laying around in the coolest part of the house and not moving very much. Do other people find that their Bs become pretty inactive or lethargic when the weather is warm?

    Lori

    For sure they do…..

  • @ZenGrrrl:

    Now that it's warming up here in Seattle (almost 90!), I'm finding out how Ziggy and Zhara deal with the heat. They go for the "conservation of energy" approach - laying around in the coolest part of the house and not moving very much. Do other people find that their Bs become pretty inactive or lethargic when the weather is warm?

    Lori

    Pretty much the same here in Maine. One exception though, even if it is 90/100 here, Ruby will still find the sun in the house and lie down in it. And when it cools off in the evening, they make up for all the resting they've done during the heat of the day. :eek: :eek:

  • Mine eat less as well.

  • And for those of you with "elders" note that with age they do become more sensitive to heat…. while mine when younger would lay in the sun at 100 degrees... they don't now at 14+... also I find that they pant more when it is really hot

  • Serenjane loves the heat, she will lie out in the sun most of the day, time to time she moves to a shady spot. I have noticed she is less active in the summer, eating less and drinking more.

  • Here in Minnesota where it can get kind of hot and humid, the dogs do fine if they have enough room to move around from sun to shade. Mine has the run of the house while I'm at work and the fenced garden/yard when I get home.
    My previous beastie used to like to sleep on the deck in the hot hot sun for quite some time before finally moving into the shade. My current beastie will move onto the vinyl kichen floor if it gets too humid outside (I generally don't run AC because my house is so shaded but I do run fans when it gets humid).
    And when it comes to winter (with our seriously below freezing temps), they will usually just stay inside (except to pee/poop) and under the bed covers all day :)

  • @tanza:

    And for those of you with "elders" note that with age they do become more sensitive to heat…. while mine when younger would lay in the sun at 100 degrees... they don't now at 14+... also I find that they pant more when it is really hot

    That's good info…I forget about how the age makes a big difference with such things.

Suggested Topics

  • Heat cycles, the Basenji way

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    12k Views
    J
    @elbrant 😁👍
  • Heat?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    B
    @jkent it continued the blood!
  • Age of your basenji?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    42
    2 Votes
    42 Posts
    22k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Yeah you told me about that before and I'm clueless, but I'll try it if I need to, lol. could be the noise of occasional thump, could be they can hear it even tho we can't. My chow would be drooling buckets before we got a mile away. I just had to keep towels down and take off and bag along the trip. But I took her for a 7 hr trip to atlanta and she threw up and threw up, then stopped. Never threw up again. :( on your back. I had been getting radiofrequency ablations in the US, and they really helped. But doctors here will only do them once or twice. I have had at least 6 on one side, 3 on the other. :( But it's miraculous pain relief when it is done right. Maybe your dog acupuncturists knows of a human one they'd recommend?
  • Sick Basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    7k Views
    O
    Yes, Spencer is much better now, but he is still very thin. He lost six pounds. Even strong antibiotics cannot fight a severe abscess. I'm sure your vet found and resolved the problem under anesthesia, so that should put Egyn over the hump. SubQs and a few weeks of antiobiotics will hopefully get him back on the road to health. I had to feed Spencer critical care dog food through a syringe for several days after the surgery, then make him special soft food– the aforementioned meatballs-- for weeks after that. Good luck to you-- and positive thoughts to Egyn!
  • Lazy basenjis!

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    10k Views
    B
    @jys1011: HA HA..I was thinking the same thing…where do I get a bamboo stick?? Asia is the best place.:D :D :D But I do have some in the back yard.:D
  • Homeopathy for Basenjis?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    MaxBooBooBearM
    Yes–I forgot that there are actually homeopathic vets available. We are so lucky here in the Bay Area--we have great vets, specialists and also UC Davis veterinary school/drs not too far away--and believe me--I have used all of these resources over the past 18 years.....