• Full range of motion is different from weight bearing and if he has a long term history of not weight bearing on that leg, it can cause problems. It sounds like this problem started with an injury. You should do what you can to encourage him to stand on that leg and should really try to discern whether or not he is weight bearing on that leg when he puts it down.

If he gaits without any noticeable limp he will probably not be excused from the ring but again that is the judge's call. It should not be a DQ.

• Yeah, I'm not breeding him, but just trying to get a feel and used to the ring with him. I will look for a picture, and if it is weight bearing. I am trying to think of what to do to get him to use it more, but still drawing blanks.

• Anytime he puts that foot down click and treat. If there is no physical pain for him to do so being consistently rewarded for it should increase the frequency that he offers the behavior. This would be a classic behavior shaping exercise.

Also, if he rarely puts that foot down, I would treat for any time he does so irregardless of what the other feet are doing at first and then start moving towards rewarding a standard stacked position.

• @etzbseder:

Yeah, I'm not breeding him, but just trying to get a feel and used to the ring with him. I will look for a picture, and if it is weight bearing. I am trying to think of what to do to get him to use it more, but still drawing blanks.

Has nothing to do with breeding him… and I know you said that you were going to go to conformation class... what does the person instructing the class say about his "3" legged standing? You should try stacking him and see if you can get a friend to snap a picture of him.... and a free stack on the ground... is he food motivated?

• He is barely food motivate, and only for the natural balance food roles. Other than that, he will take it or leave it.

• ah-ha - he sprained his leg and this got to be a habit? or is it really something that a vet may not notice because it is 'functional' but not really 'show functional'.

I would try to with-hold food and ONLY feed him little at a time - when he is standing 4 on the floor - could be pretty motivating for him.

You really need to have someone perhaps an orthopaedica specilist analize habit or structure.

• I can't get a good picture, but he does put weight on it and not just use it for balance.

I have had at least 2 different vets say that ther was nothing wrong with it.

He does usually eat with all 4 on the floor now, just not for treats, or just standing there.

• Sorry to interrupt your guys conversations with the "3" legged basenji 😉 But i have a question for anyone who can help me.

I am looking into showing my new girl. I want to know how i go about doing it. What do I need to teach her before we get into the ring. Does anyone have a video or can create a video on how to show a basenji. I want to start showing, have wanted to my whole life, just never found the right time to do it. Now I have a young female who i am hopeful to get into a show. The next show close to here is in October. I was thinking about trying it out..regardless of what I know. is that a stupid idea? To try without knowing? Can that give her/me bad publicity if she ever starts doing good at it? Please let me know and help me all you can!

Thank you so much!

• Postive Training for Show Dogs by Vickie Ronchette is a good book with lots of good info for getting a dog started for showing. She also has a website, http://www.positivetrainingforshowdogs.com/

• Also look for conformation classes that you might attend. We were all beginners sometime… and scared to death about being in the ring.... the most important thing, IMO is that you have to know your own dogs faults... win, loose or draw..... if you can not look at your dog in an objective manner then you will not have fun in the show ring. Your breeder is your best mentor... even if they are not close, they can and should be an encouragement of your thoughts to show. They would hopefully have the experience and tell you even if by picutures your Basenji's faults... and if you would expect to do well in the show ring.

• What show were you thinking of entering in OCT. Do you have any training classes near you? You want to make sure that she is comfortable on the table, and being examined - gone over by a variety of people - as well as being able to maintain that when she is around a lot of noise. Then you need to learn to bait stack her - that is getting her to attend to you and stand at her best without you hand stacking her - that comes in handy a lot. It is also helpful to have people that know dogs - watch you gait her to find the pace that works the best for her.

There are some good dogs way way way back in the pedigree the more current dogs however are not all of very good quality - good thing we have the Fanconi test now so we can help sort some of that out.

• Thank you everyone!

Ill look at the book, try to get it. I also took a look at the site. Seems like it will help alots.

Thank you ill keep that in mind. Ill have friends and family come over while im working with her and express their opinions of her. I will also keep in touch with my breeder. She doesnt do shows anymore but im sure she can offer up a little information…what is IMO? idk why but i never understood that. lol

The show is actually in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It is given off the the Sioux Empire Kennel Club. Ill be working with her non stop until we go to that show. I figured well just see how she does and go from there. She may be good or she may just be pet material. Id like to try either way 🙂

Suggested Topics